123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internal Blu-Ray drive for Mac Pro/PowerMac G5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Internal Blu-Ray drive for Mac Pro/PowerMac G5 Reply with quote

Engadget wrote:
Japan's Logitec may have been the first to lay claim to a Mac-compatible Blu-ray burner, but it looks like MCE Technologies gets the bragging rights for the first Mac-friendly internal burner, which also has the added benefit of actually being available 'round these parts. As with the Logitec, MCE's Mac Pro and Power Mac G5-compatible drive will give you 2x reading and writing speeds on Blu-ray discs, as well as the usual less-than-speedy burning times for CDs and DVDs. The key to the Mac compatibility is, of course, Roxio's Toast 8 Titanium software, which first declared its Mac Blu-ray support last summer but so far hasn't been able to put it to much use. While you'll have to crack open your case, you will be somewhat rewarded for your effort, with drive setting you back considerably less than Logitec's external offering, available now direct from MCE for $699.
http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope soon to see a Blu-ray drive upgrade for the Mac Pro's. This would be really appropriate for the pro users that use this feature...
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should also offer an external enclosure. I think they are pretty competitive on the price for the drive itself. No? I would rather have an external drive to use with different machines. LaCie has a new external Blu-ray drive, but it's priced over 1K.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
They should also offer an external enclosure. I think they are pretty competitive on the price for the drive itself. No? I would rather have an external drive to use with different machines. LaCie has a new external Blu-ray drive, but it's priced over 1K.

You betcha, and external would be my Blu-ray burner of choice. The LaCie d2 is the nicest so far i've seen, but for over $1000, it's not THAT great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: