123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV or SlingCatcher?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Apple TV or SlingCatcher? Reply with quote

I bought an Apple TV right after they were announced, but I'm starting to think it might have been a good idea to wait for more details about the SlingCatcher. I just think it might end up being more expandable and able to play more file formats. I still like the way Apple TV's Front Row interface looks though. Is anyone else here starting to have second thoughts?
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple TV or SlingCatcher? Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I bought an Apple TV right after they were announced, but I'm starting to think it might have been a good idea to wait for more details about the SlingCatcher. I just think it might end up being more expandable and able to play more file formats. I still like the way Apple TV's Front Row interface looks though. Is anyone else here starting to have second thoughts?

I still think that I will likely just end up putting a mini in the living room. Once we get a new LCD tv in there, I think it would be quite useful to be able to check email, browse the web, etc, etc.

I DO like the idea of the Apple TV though. I'd love to see one in person. (not that that is going to happen over HERE!)

Do they typically have an Apple TV set up in the Apple stores?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to get a Apple Tv if I had the money.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple TV or SlingCatcher? Reply with quote

iMav wrote:

Do they typically have an Apple TV set up in the Apple stores?

I am sure they will figure something out - but they will surely have them on display with at least a demo that you just watch or something like that...

-jb
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the SlingCatcher include support for OS X out of the box? I would be concerned about buying anything from Sling Media after all their delays with the SlingPlayer software for OS X.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
smiesguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total newbie to this forum, so please excuse my ignorance. I'm really excited for the Apple TV release, but is there any advantage to pre-ordering right now? From everything I have been able to dig up it doesn't look like it will be released until late Feb?
garty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I need both! Very Happy

A sling (whatever) device to control and watch my tivo on any connected tv in the house. I've ignored this sling stuff up till now but maybe I need to pay closer attention to it.

Apple TV so I can watch all those tv shows I have in itunes and play music.

And keep the mac mini that works well in the ht setup as a dvd player too.
RickB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiesguy wrote:
Total newbie to this forum, so please excuse my ignorance. I'm really excited for the Apple TV release, but is there any advantage to pre-ordering right now? From everything I have been able to dig up it doesn't look like it will be released until late Feb?

Only that you are getting a place in line. The Apple TV is reportedly selling very well and there might be delays in the future. It could be a case of demand exceeds supply in the short term.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm having second thoughts about having second thoughts.

Read this!
Quote:
We have been digging to find out what these new features might be, and have discovered some interesting information. First, we were told that Leopard's 'Top Secret' features will wow the audiences. Integration with the new Apple TV is a certainty. New data suggests that Leopard will be able to use Apple TV to transmit the MacOS X desktop to high definition televisions. This means that instead of connecting computers to displays with cables, Leopard will wirelessly transmit the image via a Wi-Fi connection. This would aid in presentations as well. No more connecting computers to digital projectors. Now, the image is streamed wirelessly.

http://www.looprumors.com/article.php?leopards-top-secret-features-to-wow-audiences,667985494

That would be a cool addition. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: