123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Automotive Dock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 2173
Location: Columbus, WI

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
mavherzog wrote:
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one... Smile


Like always. But doesn't it make sense that used G4 system prices are dropping?


G4 prices should be dropping...REGARDLESS of whether Apple anounced the move to Intel or not.
_________________
-=iMav=-
http://geekhack.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 1303
Location: Providence, Rhode Island

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where's the disagreeement? Question
_________________
Computer Engineer
Junior, Brown University
15" NC8430 HP Laptop
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 2173
Location: Columbus, WI

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
So where's the disagreeement? Question

In the statement that the announce of the move to Intel is THE REASON the used G4 market prices are dropping. (I do not believe so)
_________________
-=iMav=-
http://geekhack.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 1303
Location: Providence, Rhode Island

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I'd say it's part of the reason, though things drop in price as time goes on, normally, so yeah.
_________________
Computer Engineer
Junior, Brown University
15" NC8430 HP Laptop
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
resuna
Member
Member


Joined: 15 May 2005
Posts: 215

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: The mini didn't realy hurt the market much... Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
Why buy an antiquated G4 when you can get a NEW one for $499?


Because you can upgrade that antiquated G4 up to a 2 GHz G4 or a Dual 1.67 with upgrade ZIFs from Sonnet or other vendors.

Because Tiger needs a Radeon 9600 or better to get the best results from Core Image, and to use QE2d, and the Mini has a 9200. Heck, my "Beige G4" has a better video card than the Mini's 9200, and it's PCI!

The Tiger announcement kicked the bottom out of the G3s and the iMacs. But you couldn't get an AGP G4 for less than $600 except on eBay, even if it was something like a G4/450.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
resuna
Member
Member


Joined: 15 May 2005
Posts: 215

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
G4 prices should be dropping...REGARDLESS of whether Apple anounced the move to Intel or not.


Yeh, but they weren't dropping all that fast until Apple announced the move. Right after that happened you started seeing G4s on the Low End Mac swap list, and they were pretty rare. You ALSO started seeing G5s on the swap list, and they'd NEVER been there before.

They're still ridiculously high. I just had someone ask me if I thought they should buy a Quicksilver (dual 867MHz, Radeon 7000) for $900... when Apple's selling a 1.6GHz G5 reconditioned for $1200. But before the announcement you were looking at that kind of price for just about ANY dual.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Posts: 1118
Location: San Ramon, California

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini didn't realy hurt the market much... Reply with quote

resuna wrote:

Because Tiger needs a Radeon 9600 or better to get the best results from Core Image, and to use QE2d, and the Mini has a 9200. Heck, my "Beige G4" has a better video card than the Mini's 9200, and it's PCI!

The Tiger announcement kicked the bottom out of the G3s and the iMacs. But you couldn't get an AGP G4 for less than $600 except on eBay, even if it was something like a G4/450.


I would've been SO cool if the mini had a PCI-Express slot.
_________________
1.42GHz Mac mini
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini (2009)
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 1303
Location: Providence, Rhode Island

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini didn't realy hurt the market much... Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
resuna wrote:

Because Tiger needs a Radeon 9600 or better to get the best results from Core Image, and to use QE2d, and the Mini has a 9200. Heck, my "Beige G4" has a better video card than the Mini's 9200, and it's PCI!

The Tiger announcement kicked the bottom out of the G3s and the iMacs. But you couldn't get an AGP G4 for less than $600 except on eBay, even if it was something like a G4/450.


I would've been SO cool if the mini had a PCI-Express slot.


Why? So we can add a modem? There isn't space for a 16x or 8x slot, let alone room for the external connections. That would've doubled the Mini's size right there. A miniPCI slot would really be what we'd want. It'd allow for an upgraded video card, which is, I assume, what you'd want to use that PCIe slot for.
_________________
Computer Engineer
Junior, Brown University
15" NC8430 HP Laptop
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 2173
Location: Columbus, WI

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini didn't realy hurt the market much... Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
Because you can upgrade that antiquated G4 up to a 2 GHz G4 or a Dual 1.67 with upgrade ZIFs from Sonnet or other vendors.

Well then...I suggest you jump on this deal. Smile
_________________
-=iMav=-
http://geekhack.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Posts: 1118
Location: San Ramon, California

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about the mini PCI Express slot like they have in some laptops for video.
_________________
1.42GHz Mac mini
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini (2009)
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 05 May 2005
Posts: 1303
Location: Providence, Rhode Island

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
I was thinking about the mini PCI Express slot like they have in some laptops for video.


I hadn't heard of PCIe in a laptop, probably because there are none in the wild as per my understanding, but I see your point. I don't see why one would want that in a laptop nowadays considering they don't even have that the PCIe connection figured out for laptops besides using ExpressCard. While having a PCCARD (effectively the same as the ExpressCard) video card would be cool, it'd be hard to get the cooling for them to work.

So right now, viable options for PCIe video cards in laptops is non-existent, and will be for at least a year, if not more. MiniPCI provides plenty of bandwidth, is low-cost, and is here-and-now so we could upgrade our laptops today.
_________________
Computer Engineer
Junior, Brown University
15" NC8430 HP Laptop
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
resuna
Member
Member


Joined: 15 May 2005
Posts: 215

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini didn't realy hurt the market much... Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
resuna wrote:
Because you can upgrade that antiquated G4 up to a 2 GHz G4 or a Dual 1.67 with upgrade ZIFs from Sonnet or other vendors.

Well then...I suggest you jump on this deal. Smile

Thanks. Really.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 2173
Location: Columbus, WI

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini didn't realy hurt the market much... Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
Thanks. Really.

Looks like it can be had for a steal. And if you are going to buy upgrade CPU's ANYWAY....
_________________
-=iMav=-
http://geekhack.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.