123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installed/Upgraded Ram Experience
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Installed/Upgraded Ram Experience Reply with quote

First I wanted to note the mini is awesome Smile.

OK back to business...

I ordered and received my 1.42Ghz BT AE SD 256MB mini recently. I upgraded everthing but overpriced ram. After using this config for a few days, I could tell that 256MB wasn't going to cut it (I do more than just surf and check email). After getting over the excitement of having this little beast I decided to ordered and install 1GB of ram (ordered next day air of course). At first I wasn't to crazy about cracking the mini open but it was either write to the slow VM or get the mini blazing along with a GB of ram.

The installation wasn't that bad but I will mention to be very careful and I would highly suggest using a putty knife that isn't to wide. The one I had was very wide and made it a bit more difficult to open. Thank goodness the edge had a nice bevel or it would of been a trip to home depot. My recommendation is to be careful, I could tell with carelessness you could do some damage. After I had it opened up it was pretty easy from there to install the new module.

After getting the mini together and ready to fire up I did happen to notice a HUGE difference in performance when opening up a few apps and files. It was well worth the 189.00 dollars for the ram upgrade. Apple did drop their prices but from the looks of it I still saved 125.00 dollars with quality ram Smile. Reason I say quality (correct me if Im wrong), but the ram that I took out (stock 256MB) was single sided and the one that went in was doube sided. The brand it looks like Apple is using:

HYNIX
PC3200U-30330
256MB DDR 400MHz CL3

Hopefully you find this helpful and oh yeah hello fellow Mac Mini owners Smile

P.S. If anyone is intersted I picked my ram up from http://macsales.com The reason I shop with them is the fact all their products are Apple Hardware tested. I'm sure there are other good places to buy ram but feels better to know it's been tested on Apple hardware and OSX Smile...
idave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed/Upgraded Ram Experience Reply with quote

Quote:

After getting the mini together and ready to fire up I did happen to notice a HUGE difference in performance when opening up a few apps and files. It was well worth the 189.00 dollars for the ram upgrade. Apple did drop their prices but from the looks of it I still saved 125.00 dollars with quality ram Smile. Reason I say quality (correct me if Im wrong), but the ram that I took out (stock 256MB) was single sided and the one that went in was doube sided. The brand it looks like Apple is using:

Cool I just got mine yesterday and want to put a Gig in it! Sounds like it made it faster and was worth it.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
billabong

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash nice post! I've not yet received my mini. I want to open it as soon as I get it to put in more memory. About how wide of a putty knife would you recommend I use? Did it make a loud cracking sound? Are the clips small and easy to break?
flash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thinner the putty knife the better. The putty knife I had was beveled with a decent sharp edge so it was easy to get into the crack. But next time I open it I'm going to get a putty knife about 1 or so inches wide. Far as the clicks they seem not that bad, but I could see someone getting careless and cracking a click off, but again that would be someone who's careless. It did make a few cracking sounds at times scare the crap out of me lol. But I think it was from the little clips snapping in and out while trying to remove.
billabong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flash wrote:
It did make a few cracking sounds at times scare the crap out of me lol.

I'll be holding my breath when I crack it open! I wish they just would have just used screws. I hate clips of any kind. They always seem to get weak and break.
Hoffer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mini should be delivered today. 1.42 with BT and superdrive. I got it with 256 megs of ram also. I've already got a 1 GB stick at home that I ordered the same time I ordered the mini. I'm stopping by a hardware store on the way home to buy myself a putty knife.

My second upgrade will be adding a 100 gig 7200 rpm hard drive. Seagate has one coming out sometime in the near future. I won't do the upgrade right away though. I'll probably do it by the end of the year though.
billabong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet your happy! Most orders are a 3-4 week wait or longer. Make sure you sand down your putty knife and get a sharp edge. That way you won't scratch the plastic or metal.. The gap can be tight between the plastic and metal.
bubba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you read about this 100GB, 7200RPM drive...

As far as memory, I know coast memory is selling 1GB modules for $185.
http://www.18004memory.com/category.asp?catid=9&subcatid=912

But, if you look at PowerMac G5 memory you can find a PC3200/400MHZ/CL3 1GB for $6 less (PC3200/400mhz/CL3 is what the Mini's are shipping with even though the specs say PC2700/333mhz).

http://www.18004memory.com/cart/addcart.asp?itemID=502403&itemTYPE=cat
Hoffer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
Where did you read about this 100GB, 7200RPM drive...

http://www20.tomshardware.com/storage/20040617/seagate-04.html

It is a new line from Seagate called Momentus 7200.1

It says it's supposed to come out Q3. It's actually Q3 of 2004. So, the drive is already very late. I see a lot of people asking about the drive, but no one knows when for sure it is coming.

The new line was announced in June of 2004. So, it's coming up on a year that it was announced. Obviously, they are having issues with it. Hopefully it makes it out sometime this year.
bubba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome.. thanks for the link. I just hope it won't be too $$$.

Brian
Hoffer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my mini today. I booted it up and played around for about 30 minutes. Then I pulled out the putty knife, cracked it open and put in the new ram.

Everything's working great. It's an awesome little computer.
idave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoffer wrote:
I got my mini today. I booted it up and played around for about 30 minutes. Then I pulled out the putty knife, cracked it open and put in the new ram.

Everything's working great. It's an awesome little computer.

way to go Very Happy !
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
James T. Kirkę

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoffer wrote:
Cut...
My second upgrade will be adding a 100 gig 7200 rpm hard drive. Seagate has one coming out sometime in the near future. I won't do the upgrade right away though. I'll probably do it by the end of the year though.

Since I already own an external spare HD of 120 GB, I was thinking of the Hitachi 60 GB/7200 rpm, which is actually the only one on the market as I know of right now. I saw issues with copying 500 MB of data, and it was compared between the 1.24 and the 1.42. The 1.24 was faster by 10 seconds than the 142!! Reason? The 1.24 had the 5300 rpm drive, the 1.42 a 4200 rpm drive!!! The only thing I'm concerned about is: heat exchange!! I'm not in possesion of the Mini YET, but it will be there hopefully this year (when equipped with Tiger?). You know, here in Europe the Mini sells for a lot more. Your $ price (ex tax) for our Euro price (incl. tax) which is momentarily a big difference: 1.00 EUR/Euro = 1.30217 USD United States Dollars. So a cheapest MM would cost you in $: 649.775 USD
Since I'm between jobs and have to watch my money, I'm thinking of buying the unit in the States, next time I visit (my wife's an American) the family. Could you guys tell me, if the power brick is US voltage only (110 v/60 HZ) or international 110 ~ 240 V/50-60Hz? Than I only would need a US-> Euro plug.
~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
bubba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1GB ram installed with no problem. Did have to bend back the metal clips a bit on the back above the vent area. Putty knife sanded down to an angle worked great. Left no marks or anything to show that it had been opened. Now if they'd get the DVI issues worked out I'd be golden.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
Now if they'd get the DVI issues worked out I'd be golden.

DVI issues?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: