123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new 24 on the way

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gdog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: new 24 on the way Reply with quote

i am getting 2.33 gig 24 inch imac tomorrow. i have a 17 inch imac first gen intel. i want to keep keychain stuff (passwords etc and reg codes but i don't want to use target mode to transfer. so how do i do this? can i use migration manager to only transfer some info. for exmple my screen resolution is different for 17 inch, if i use target mode does new imac get old imac screen resolution?

so to reiturate what is best way to do new set up. clean start or migration manager? i have a couple of third party softwares that i paid reg for and i don't have all the codes anymore.

thanks. Twisted Evil
macbook 2 ghz, 2 gig ram
i got 99 problems but a bitch aint one

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: new 24 on the way Reply with quote

gdog wrote:
i am getting 2.33 gig 24 inch imac tomorrow. i have a 17 inch imac first gen intel. i want to keep keychain stuff (passwords etc and reg codes but i don't want to use target mode to transfer. so how do i do this? can i use migration manager to only transfer some info. for exmple my screen resolution is different for 17 inch, if i use target mode does new imac get old imac screen resolution?

so to reiturate what is best way to do new set up. clean start or migration manager? i have a couple of third party softwares that i paid reg for and i don't have all the codes anymore.

thanks. Twisted Evil

The migration thingy will only copy general settings so no screen resolutions. Even if it did, just go to system preferences and change it to the correct one.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new 2' monster! Smile

I had a 1st gen Intel 20" iMac and absolutely LOVED it! I believe I may get a 2' iMac when I finally return home from Iraq. Let us all know how you like it!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gdog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: yo Reply with quote

thanks imav. good luck in iraq.
macbook 2 ghz, 2 gig ram
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're simply wanting to copy keychain stuff, you can just copy the Keychains folder, located in your Home Folder -> Library -> Keychains to the new Mac.

However, it seems like you're wanting to copy more than that. The Migration Assistant is surprisingly intelligent, and won't do dumb things like copy over set screen settings, etc. The only area I've seen it do stupid things is copying over PowerPC versions of dashboard widgets, but since you're going from an Intel iMac to another Intel iMac it shouldn't be a problem.

I'd suggest trying out the Migration Assistant, and seeing if it does the trick. If not, you can just erase the new machine and start over. It won't be that much time wasted, and possibly a lot saved by not having to trace down each one of those little applications you've registered but lost.
gdog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for info Twisted Evil
macbook 2 ghz, 2 gig ram
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: