123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell 24" monitor coming out..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
As we know, Apple is good enough where they don't need to offer deals, so that's why there's such a difference.

I certainly do not blindly believe that!

Susurrus wrote:
As for resizing the TV frame, it would make sense that you could do that with two independent sources. With one signal, it would be pretty hard to do PIP and PBP (whatever that is).

Picture-In-Picture and Picture-By-Picture.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
Susurrus wrote:
As we know, Apple is good enough where they don't need to offer deals, so that's why there's such a difference.

I certainly do not blindly believe that!

Blindly believe what? That Apple doesn't discount their hardware if it's new?

mavherzog wrote:
Susurrus wrote:
As for resizing the TV frame, it would make sense that you could do that with two independent sources. With one signal, it would be pretty hard to do PIP and PBP (whatever that is).

Picture-In-Picture and Picture-By-Picture.

I know what they're acronyms for and what PIP actually means in what it does, but I don't know what PBP does.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Nothing from Apple will be released in Boston; Apple will not be attending.

There may be other companies introducing products that interest me. Hopefully something that complements the mini's looks, in a widescreen format. I'd even consider a 17" if it's cheap enough.

Susurrus wrote:
Dell's are routinely cheaper than the corresponding Apple one.

Wouldn't that make the Dell a better value? Unless you place value on the Apple logo (which many people do). The Cinema displays are beautiful. I personally don't care for the looks of the Dell. But are the Cinema displays the best value? I'm not so sure, seeing Apple doesn't manufacture the LCD panel.

Susurrus wrote:
As we know, Apple is good enough where they don't need to offer deals

Yah right, I'm sure Apple's never lost a sale to a competitor offering a lower price on a similar item. I bet there are more non Apple displays connected to Macs than Apple displays. Only about 20% of the systems in the gallery on this site have Apple displays.

The 20" Cinema Display is not a bad price right now. But for $120 CDN more, I can get a 24" 1920*1200 screen with multiple inputs, height adjustment, portrait mode 1000:1 contrast ratio, 3 year warranty etc.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna quote you, BB, but that was going to get needlessly complicated for me to deal with all of those tags.

Okay, I was just stating that Apple won't be at Macworld since it seemed that people are focusing thinking that new products will come out from them at Macworld.

Yes, the Dell is a better value if you're looking for features. If you're looking for perceived quality, that's what the Apple has (i.e. the b**** love it). (What's the censoring policies here?) The Dell and the Apple use the same LCD panels for all of the sizes where both Dell and Apple make monitors. Pretty much the only thing that differs between the Cinema displays and Dell's LCDs are the backlighting, the LCD controller, and the casing.

That comment was sarcastic being good enough to not need to offer deals, although it is somewhat of a truth. The whole aspect of Macs is their perceived value, which would decrease if they kept discounting their sales 90% like Dell. Dell has little to no perceived value because of their continuous sales and genericicity (vanilla-esque-ness or Camry-ness). So, yeah, Apple is too good for sales and such. Apple is not in the business in becoming a "beig-box generator" <-just made up the term, they are in the business of "Thinking Different." Keeping an elite status and pricing maintains that.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:

The whole aspect of Macs is their perceived value, which would decrease if they kept discounting their sales 90% like Dell.

I'd still buy them Smile

I know what you mean though.

The best time to buy an Apple product is right when it comes out. Because it takes forever for the price to drop. By the time it does drop. It's at the end of its product lifecycle and it's not very attractive compared to Apple's new product offerings.

I wish Apple would drop their prices more frequently instead of one big price drop. Apple's pretty smart though. You never really know what they are going to do. That's the main reason they are moving away from product announcements at scheduled events.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Susurrus wrote:

The whole aspect of Macs is their perceived value, which would decrease if they kept discounting their sales 90% like Dell.

I'd still buy them Smile

I know what you mean though.

The best time to buy an Apple product is right when it comes out. Because it takes forever for the price to drop. By the time it does drop. It's at the end of its product lifecycle and it's not very attractive compared to Apple's new product offerings.

I wish Apple would drop their prices more frequently instead of one big price drop. Apple's pretty smart though. You never really know what they are going to do. That's the main reason they are moving away from product announcements at scheduled events.

Exactly. 'Nuf said.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
jrt1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 19" and 24" Dell widescreens are a good value, plus they offer more adjustability compared to the Cinemas. However, I'm not too crazy about their looks. Their bases are outright ugly. I'd be more interested in the Apple Cinemas if they dropped the price another $200-$300.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That price drop of a couple hundred gives you the "outright ugly" base.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
jrt1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
That price drop of a couple hundred gives you the "outright ugly" base.

I know that... I'm just trying to put the pressure on Apple so they'll drop the price. My broke ass can't afford one! Wink

I thought you were going to bed! Razz
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be going to bed, right now I'm too busy trolling these awesome forums and discussing the ugliness of Dell's monitors (Read I have nothing better to do).

Edit: Hopefully Apple will lower the price on their displays also, I have a belated birthday present coming up when I go to Brown from my parents. Guess what it is...
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
jrt1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like we have something in common - we're both broke college students. I'm in my second year at BYU.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Yah right, I'm sure Apple's never lost a sale to a competitor offering a lower price on a similar item. I bet there are more non Apple displays connected to Macs than Apple displays. Only about 20% of the systems in the gallery on this site have Apple displays.

Exactly.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrt1 wrote:
Sounds like we have something in common - we're both broke college students. I'm in my second year at BYU.

123Macmini is being over run by the college kids!!!! Smile
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
jrt1 wrote:

123Macmini is being over run by the college kids!!!! Smile

We're one of the few groups of people who can manage to find enough time to troll these forums 24/7, Laughing.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
We're one of the few groups of people who can manage to find enough time to troll these forums 24/7, Laughing.

I assume you aren't taking classes this summer... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: