123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Automotive Dock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live outside Atlanta, GA. Your Mac mini would melt in a car here during the summer. I bet that white top wouldn't last an hour in the sun without melting, not to mention the heat stress on the intenal parts.

From the Apple site "Storage temperature: -40° to 116° F (-40° to 47° C) "

The inside of my car gets way hotter than that!
resuna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: What about a lock? Reply with quote

If I was going to leave my Mac Mini in this in the car, regardless of thermal issues (pretend it's winter)... I'd for sure want it to lock the mini in place.

In fact I'd like a locking dock for my mini for *home*, anyone seen one? I've got a Belkin laptop cable on mine, but I don't think it's immune to wire cutters.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: What about a lock? Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
If I was going to leave my Mac Mini in this in the car, regardless of thermal issues (pretend it's winter)... I'd for sure want it to lock the mini in place.

In fact I'd like a locking dock for my mini for *home*, anyone seen one? I've got a Belkin laptop cable on mine, but I don't think it's immune to wire cutters.

It would have to be one PRETTY locking dock for me to even consider it. Anything "dock-like" for the mini is going to SEVERELY hamper its unique looks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
resuna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: What about a lock? Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
Anything "dock-like" for the mini is going to SEVERELY hamper its unique looks.

That's only fair, after all... its unique looks severely hamper its functionality. I mean, it's great, I couldn't have afforded a Powermac when I bought it, but I kind of wish I'd waited because now that they've made the Mac/intel announcement there's used AGP G4 powermacs going for less than the cost of the Mac mini. Yeh, they're only G4/450 or so, but you can get a pretty damn good upgrade card for not a whole lot of money.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good example on how to make Apple products ugly with security devices.

http://www.pc-security.com/whats_hot/securing_latest_apple_equipment.htm
resuna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
http://www.pc-security.com/whats_hot/securing_latest_apple_equipment.htm

Looks good, but there's no price listed.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: What about a lock? Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
That's only fair, after all... its unique looks severely hamper its functionality. I mean, it's great, I couldn't have afforded a Powermac when I bought it, but I kind of wish I'd waited because now that they've made the Mac/intel announcement there's used AGP G4 powermacs going for less than the cost of the Mac mini. Yeh, they're only G4/450 or so, but you can get a pretty damn good upgrade card for not a whole lot of money.

You're always going to get a better deal if you wait. It's just a matter if you want to wait your whole life. No matter when or what you buy in the computer and technology realm, it will be bigger, faster, better, and cheaper later on.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
resuna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What about a lock? Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
You're always going to get a better deal if you wait.

Yeh, I'd been waiting for about 4 years already when I bought the Mini. It's my first new computer since the early '90s... I've previously stuck to used computers and upgrading what I had, but the used Mac market was just statying up way too high for machines that were way too far behind the leading edge... and my "Beige G4" was getting too crusty.

And it wasn't a matter of looking for a "better deal", the Mac mini was the first acceptable (that is, not an all-in-one) Mac that I could even afford. I knew it was marginal but I wasn't expecting the Intel announcement and the used G4 market to tumble like it has. Nobody was.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What about a lock? Reply with quote

resuna wrote:

I wasn't expecting the Intel announcement and the used G4 market to tumble like it has. Nobody was.

Has it? I haven't been following the used market.

I would have thought the introduction of the mini would have been the main reason not to buy a used G4. The mini is inexpensive, quiet, comes with Tiger etc. I looked at used cube prices before I bought the mini and could not justify the price. The G4 towers are too noisy.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if the G4 market has decliined, it is more due to the mini than anything else. Why buy an antiquated G4 when you can get a NEW one for $499? (I doubt the Intel announcement had/has anything to do with it)
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
I think that if the G4 market has declined, it is more due to the mini than anything else. Why buy an antiquated G4 when you can get a NEW one for $499? (I doubt the Intel announcement had/has anything to do with it)

Because the other G4s come with better graphics cards sometimes.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:

So, do you believe then, that the non-existant Intel-based systems are driving down used G4 prices?
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
Susurrus wrote:

So, do you believe then, that the non-existant Intel-based systems are driving down used G4 prices?

I do believe that. I haven't seen any proof, but it would make sense. The new "latest and greatest" are coming out, so the perceived value of current-gen systems is dropping accordingly.

This is the same effect that we see when a new product comes out, it's just people are stupid and so it's happening when the new product to come out won't be released for a couple months.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
I do believe that.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one... Smile
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one... Smile

Like always. But doesn't it make sense that used G4 system prices are dropping?
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: