123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trade the Mini for a MacBook?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
offa_broadway

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Trade the Mini for a MacBook? Reply with quote

Ive been considering this a lot lately, and that's that I miss my old iBook's ability to go portable. Sure, the Mini kicks it's ass in terms of speed and power, but the new MacBooks are even better. Intel GMA950 doesn't bother me, as I've found the video adequate for my needs. The middle of the road MacBook in white would be the ticket, with 1Gb of memory and an 80gb HD.

Just a couple of things before I commit, however. Can the MacBook, like the Mini, be used just as efficiently as a streaming video hub? I plan on getting an AppleTV for that purpose. Also, if I got a MacBook, I'd take my music library off my external drive and stick it on the internal for use on the go, but my movie collection I would want to leave on the drive. That way, when I'm at home, I can use the movies, but I can use the music anywhere. Will iTunes facilitate that?

Last but not least, my Mini, as noted below, is a 1st gen Intel, 1.66Ghz 512Mb Superdrive with 80Gb internal HD. It is in flawless condition, except perhaps a few very minor scratches on the top that you will only notice if you shine a light off it. It's never been opened, and has all the factory documentation, discs, and cables. What could I expect to get for it used? I was hoping for $600 or so.

Thanks guys.

MacBook Core2Duo 2.0/1Gb Superdrive
MacMini CoreDuo 1.66/Superdrive - Sold
Logitech Z4-i Sound System
iPod Nano 1Gb, Black
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the MacBook would be perfect for your needs. If you need the portability and have the money, I would say go ahead and buy a MacBook. Do you plan on selling your Mac mini on eBay? Does yours have a SuperDrive?
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need/want the portability, then I say go for it. My original 1.42GHz PPC mini was replaced by a 12" iBook not that long ago for this very reason. (of course, now I own a MacBook and absolutely LOVE it!) Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
It sounds like the MacBook would be perfect for your needs. If you need the portability and have the money, I would say go ahead and buy a MacBook. Do you plan on selling your Mac mini on eBay? Does yours have a SuperDrive?

Is this all you ever post "If this is what you need go for it", there getting kinda anoyying your posts are really open ended IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a black MacBook for the same reason. portability.

the MacBook definately outperforms the Mac Mini when running OS X. i mean i hated OS X cause it was so slow and irresponsive on the Mini.
while as on the MacBook ive come to enjoy using it. cause its speedy and small enough to take just about anywhere.

i put a chunk of my music collection on the internal drive of the MacBook. cause the hard drive isnt big enough to hold everything.

OS X 10.4.11
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futa_Mill wrote:
TyPod wrote:

Is this all you ever post "If this is what you need go for it", there getting kinda anoyying your posts are really open ended IMO.

It's because all the of these posts are pretty close to being the same. Should I buy this? Buy that? Go portable? Go Pro? They all evolve around if you can afford it and if you need portability or not...
offa_broadway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futa_Mill wrote:
TyPod wrote:

Hey, somebody needs a chill pill. If TyPod wants to post one word replies in every forum, he's allowed to, if he so desired.

Thanks for the reccomendations guys. I'm going to check out Ebay, see what they go for, but I don't think I want to sell it on Ebay. Never used Ebay before from a seller's perspective.

MacBook Core2Duo 2.0/1Gb Superdrive
MacMini CoreDuo 1.66/Superdrive - Sold
Logitech Z4-i Sound System
iPod Nano 1Gb, Black
TyPod
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me I didn't know it was a problem. I have no problem with these posts, all I am saying is it requires the same answers. Sorry for any mishap.
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyPod wrote:
Believe me I didn't know it was a problem. I have no problem with these posts, all I am saying is it requires the same answers. Sorry for any mishap.

Don't worry i was just having a bad week.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futa_Mill wrote:
TyPod wrote:

Don't worry i was just having a bad week.

No problem. Lets just get back to the origional topic.
splen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want a vague, open ended response? well here goes:-
I absolutely love my macbook, no regrets whatsoever about buying it, I use it every day for music, writing, layout/design work etc.
However, my mini is absolutely invaluable as a dvd/music player, downloaded or ripped movie player, static 24/7 downloadin hub thingy!

I suppose, if I had to pick a side then it would be the macbook, becuse it is invaluable to me wheras the mini just makes life a bit more straight forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: