123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Apple TV Specs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: More Apple TV Specs? Reply with quote

More Apple TV Specs?
Monday, January 15, 2007
Posted by: Glenn

AppleInsider claims to have more details on the technical specs of the recently announced Apple TV. According to AppleInsider, those familiar with the component makeup of Apple TV say that it utilizes a 1.0GHz Pentium M-based chip (code-named "Crofton"), which has been under-clocked to run on a 350MHz bus. The chip is based on Intel's pre-Core Duo "Dothan" core and includes 2MB of L2 cache. Aiding the Pentium M in video decoding is an nVidia G72M with 64MB DDR2 video memory (essentially the GeForce Go 7400) and 256MB of 400MHz DDR2 main system memory, the latter of which is reportedly soldered to the logic board. AppleInsider also mentions that the 40GB hard drive used inside the Apple TV is a 2.5" PATA drive, and that an internal fan is used for cooling the device.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/595.html
gdunlap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: No tuner? Reply with quote

Doesn't seem too useful to me without a tuner built-in; I was hoping for a PVR with software licensed from TiVo or Elgato.
castaway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The specs aint that great, but I bet someone out there tries to get OS X running on it.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Possible hint at Mac mini GPU upgrade? Reply with quote

Quote:
nVidia G72M with 64MB DDR2 video memory

Is the G72M more powerful than the GMA950 from Intel? Can we safely assume this GPU could be used in the next revision of the Mac mini and MacBook?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Possible hint at Mac mini GPU upgrade? Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Quote:
nVidia G72M with 64MB DDR2 video memory

Is the G72M more powerful than the GMA950 from Intel?

I'm not a video card expert, but the numbers look better. In general, I would rather have a dedicated video card any old day. That being said, I'm still somewhat intrigued by the x3000.

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/

http://www.nvidia.com/object/go_7_series_techspecs.html
iLife's a Bitch!
jeremyh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the case, Apple wouldn't be making the claims for up to 1080i support if the thing couldn't handle it.
Zalez

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyh wrote:
Whatever the case, Apple wouldn't be making the claims for up to 1080i support if the thing couldn't handle it.

I wonder why they would hold that back then? I know they aren't delivering HD content right now, but it would be nice to know it was "officially" supported for the future.
jeremyh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I wish I knew. I guess we'll have to wait till the end of Februrary. Who knows, there may be other announcements concerning the iTunes Music store video content down the road that may help clarify things.
jayhead000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well they need to start making HD vids available... that is the only sure way to stay on top seeing how M$ is now offering downloadable content that is 1080i Via X-Box
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayhead000 wrote:
well they need to start making HD vids available... that is the only sure way to stay on top seeing how M$ is now offering downloadable content that is 1080i Via X-Box

Agreed. They need to start offering HD movies as soon as possible. I read an article recently that said Microsoft was doing very well with HD movies through Xbox Live. In fact, better than Apple and Amazon are doing with movie downloads.
johnodd4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: i think this is cool Reply with quote

and i wonder can we take the processor out of the unit and place it on a macmini could we take the 40 gig pata and upgrade it to 100gb 200gb and so on i would purchase this in no time flat if we could do this
jayhead000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
jayhead000 wrote:

Agreed. They need to start offering HD movies as soon as possible. I read an article recently that said Microsoft was doing very well with HD movies through Xbox Live. In fact, better than Apple and Amazon are doing with movie downloads.

yeah.. and what is even more rediculous is that M$ doesn't even let you keep it and charges you 6 dollars for a 24 hr rental!!! come on apple!! you could easily take over the market w/hd movies that you can keep... I just hope they do not go crazy and charge to high of a premium for HD content...

what i think is funny is apple TV (HD downloadble movies period) has the potential to bypass Blue-ray and HD-DVD, making them seemingly obsolete Very Happy.. oh the times we live in... I would much rather store my movies in a little box rather than having 10,000,000 dvd cases (and shelves) floating around...
mrchowmein

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those specs arent that bad, you guys must remember that its not a full blown computer. It doesnt need to do any real time heavy rendering like playing games. Its just playing videos without an os bogging it down.
Zalez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayhead000 wrote:
what i think is funny is apple TV (HD downloadble movies period) has the potential to bypass Blue-ray and HD-DVD, making them seemingly obsolete Very Happy.. oh the times we live in... I would much rather store my movies in a little box rather than having 10,000,000 dvd cases (and shelves) floating around...

I agree. The only thing that could hold them back is the extraordinary storage requirements.
offa_broadway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchowmein wrote:
those specs arent that bad, you guys must remember that its not a full blown computer. It doesnt need to do any real time heavy rendering like playing games. Its just playing videos without an os bogging it down.

Agreed. This thing doesn't have to run a full blown version of OS X with iTunes and other technologies on top of it. It just needs a QuickTime core, and some base OS X elements for internet connectivity and HD management. By comparison, years ago people thought 12bit/108Mhz D/A converters were seriously stoked equipment for DVD players. And to some extent, those players are still much better than a $25 WalMart special. My point is, even 1.0Ghz is probably more than adequate. As for upgrading, the HD might be a possibility, but if Apple is soldering the RAM to the mainboard, I would imagine the processor is the same.

MacBook Core2Duo 2.0/1Gb Superdrive
MacMini CoreDuo 1.66/Superdrive - Sold
Logitech Z4-i Sound System
iPod Nano 1Gb, Black
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: