123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV vs. Mac Mini - we need a side-by-side comparison
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matonmacs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the real question is: is there anything that the Apple TV can do, which a mini cannot? Apparently Apple TV maxes out at 720p which means it's limited to 1280 x 720.

Can the Intel GMA 950 in the mini really drive a full 1080p display (1920 x 1080) for full, smoth HD content?

My strong inclination is to pay the extra $300 for the 1.6 GHz mini over the Apple TV, so long as I wouldn't be missing anything by doing so. Any ideas?
Scarpad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Interface is nicer than anything on the mini right now including Front Row or Media Central I have one on order even thou I currently have a PPC mini hooked to my LCD. I'm considering canceling how and maybe buying Mediacentral, since then I can store Internet Radio streams, and run other formats. I'd rather Rent Hi Def Movies on my 360 than own them on Itunes. And I might miss browsing on my Mini, still that interface is nice, so I have a decision to make
mdgm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: AppleTV a joke Reply with quote

From what I can gather the only reason to get an AppleTV would be to show movies or tv shows from the iTunes store on your tv. Silly thing is, you can't buy these if you live outside the US, so as far as I am concerned there is no comparison. To me an AppleTV would be worthless while a mac mini could actually be useful connected up to a TV. I think the AppleTV will flop outside the US or die out pretty quickly unless Apple can get rights to sell the movies and tv shows outside the US.
thepainter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen to a podcast from the HTGuys.com and last weeks podcast was about using the mac mini as a HTPC (http://www.htguys.com/archive/2007/March09.html) The setup was awesome using an add on software called "Remote Buddy" combined with DVDpedia and VLC the setup turned out to be exactly what I wanted, have a look at the link whih also has some pics - a click on the cover art and it goes automatically to the movie. Similar setup for music also. I would also recommend this podcast as required listening..... and no I'm not associated with them in any way but thought this might help some folks who were interested in a similar setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: