123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Search by "Topic Title Only"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Search by "Topic Title Only" Reply with quote

Something I would like to see on this site is an option to Search by "Topic Title Only". It's a pain in the a** to have to go through numerous pages when searching and this would help out alot.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would also help if us as users of the forum were specific when creating topics. (I know that the moderators have posted this request in the past).

eg. please help, or ?-#arghh isn't of much use to anyone using the search feature. Being clear and specific when titling a thread helps to keep the discussion within the thread on topic.

Hey mods: It may be possible that promoting the search feature on the site will help educate people as to the importance of creating appropriate subject titles.
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Hey mods: It may be possible that promoting the search feature on the site will help educate people as to the importance of creating appropriate subject titles.

We'll have to think about that one. Do you have any specific ideas?

JamesE wrote:
Something I would like to see on this site is an option to Search by "Topic Title Only". It's a pain in the a** to have to go through numerous pages when searching and this would help out alot.

Using the "Search Options" may help you out.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

We'll have to think about that one. Do you have any specific ideas?

A private welcome email to members when they join the site would help. It could have a link to the search feature and a link to a sticky on posting etiquette. Periodic private emails from mods to all members along with more announcements and more visibility of the search feature.

For a little while my tag line read: use the search feature.
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill,

Thanks for sharing your ideas. I'm not sure about sending email (we sort of have a policy against sending email out), but I'm sure we can come up with something. Let me talk to the guys here, and see what they say.

Oh, by the way, we are getting more and more aggressive editing those "please help, or ?-#arghh" topics. Wink
JamesE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Search Options" is where I would like this feature placed.

This is what is there now.

Search topic title and message text
Search message text only

If I was to search for "Using FrontRow", with the option "Search topic title and message text", I might get lots of hits with posts that contain eg: "I like FrontRow", "I love FrontRow". But nothing on "Using FrontRow", or it's on page 4 and after 30 minutes of looking through messages I have still not made it to page 4. Which would lead me to give up on the search and just start a new topic, even though there may allready be a topic that has what im looking for.

If there is an option to "Search Topic Title Only", I could search for "Using FrontRow", encased in quotes " and find a topic titled "A guide to using FrontRow" and this be at or near the top of page 1.

If the search engine is like this, it would cut down on duplicate threads and stop regular members having to answer questions that they have answered many times before.

If you create a sticky at the top of each sub forum titled something like,

"Important, Please use the search engine before starting a new topic"

It would remind users to use the search engine and could contain a "How to" Q&A as to getting the best results. Though as it is right now, the search engine is not as usefull as it could be.

Just my thoughts Very Happy
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James have you tried using the "and" feature in the search query box.

There is no thread titled "using frontrow" but if there was you would type "using and frontrow". It would then display that thread. You can further narrow your title results by using the sort by topic title feature.
JamesE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Using FrontRow" was just an example and not something im actually searching for.

Thanks Bill I'll try using "and" next time I do a search. I must confess I don't know anything about advanced searching as every other forum I have been to has had more options in their search engine.
JamesE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it works better when using "and" but it was still not what I was thinking of.

I have just done a search for "firewall and security". It finds topics containing either of those words and also topics that have posts containing those words (Those words are highlighted in posts) but it doesn't find both of those words together one after the other as you would expect it to when they are encased in quotes.

Maybe there is not a sentence in any topic or message that contains both of those words together (I highly doubt it), such as "How do I check my firewall security".

As the search engine is now, I don't know if it's not giving me the result I want because it's not there or, because it's not finding it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: