123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Watch ripped DVDs on Apple TV?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Watch ripped DVDs on Apple TV? Reply with quote

Will I be able to put my dvds on my mac and watch them through a Apple TV? Using mac the ripper???
offa_broadway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would reccomend instead Handbrake, because iTV will play QuickTime encoded files, but I don't think it will do disc images or _TS files.

MacBook Core2Duo 2.0/1Gb Superdrive
MacMini CoreDuo 1.66/Superdrive - Sold
Logitech Z4-i Sound System
iPod Nano 1Gb, Black
Scarpad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: iTV Reply with quote

ninjamini wrote:
Will I be able to put my dvds on my mac and watch them through a iTV? Using mac the ripper???

You Can rip the dvd's using Handbrake to Mpeg4 format and then add them to Itunes, or use something like Visualhub to encode (after ripping in MTR) to H264. AppleTV supports Either Format. I'm encoding to Mpeg 4 mainly because it takes alot less time and in Handbrake looks damn nice. H264 would save you filesize thou as those files look nicer at lower bitrates. For my LCD I keep the MP4 bitrate at about 1800 when I encode.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: iTV Reply with quote

Scarpad wrote:
For my LCD I keep the MP4 bitrate at about 1800 when I encode.

I go just a little higher at 2000. But I gotta catch up on some rips now. I've haven't bothered with HandBrake much lately.
DucKy127

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont typically rip my dvds using Handbrake. I use MTR then use handbrake to make an mpeg file it seems faster and less wear on my DVD drive.
-DK
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storing away MTR rips can be an expensive proposition when it comes to buying external drives, but that's the route I've chosen to take. Then I can take those higher quality rips and burn them with Popcorn or re-rip them with HandBrake as needed.
garty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing ripped dvds need to be added to iTunes rather than just being stored in the movies folder as aTV is really an extender for iTunes.

So what do people do with handbrake rips at the moment for FrontRow? Add them to iTunes or add them to the movies folder? I can never decide what the best way to do it is, right now I put them in the movies folder just to keep them out of my iTunes library.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garty wrote:

So what do people do with handbrake rips at the moment for FrontRow? Add them to iTunes or add them to the movies folder? I can never decide what the best way to do it is, right now I put them in the movies folder just to keep them out of my iTunes library.

I have one of my 320GB Micronet external drives filled with HandBrake rips. I put them all in a folder called Movies. I then create an alias for it and place it in my Movies folder on the Mac mini. I really don't bother importing them into iTunes.
bpjauburn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One concern I have is the ability to get 5.1 surround sound from iTunes. Is there any indication that iTunes will be able to support 5.1 audio in the near future? I would hate to diminish my Home Theater experience through AppleTV because it is not capable of producing a similar audio feed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: