123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to do with an iMac G3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnoyola24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: What to do with an iMac G3 Reply with quote

What should I do with a 233Ghz iMac G3 with 128RAM and I think that it has a 4GB hard drive? I want to put it in use, so no smart answers please.

MacBook 1.83Ghz/1GB RAM/60GB
iPod Nano 1GB (Black)
MCeeP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could use it to do video encoding and stuff. Sure it'll be slow as molasses, but who cares when it frees up your main system. Just put a big bigger hard drive in.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More memory: http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=61&type=Memory&TI=1226&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

Bigger HD: http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?Model=61&Type=Data%20Storage&sort=a

Processor upgrades: http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?Model=61&Type=Processor&sort=a

there are all kinds of things, use it as a server, video editing, Burning DVD's, HTPC etc. etc., it just depends on what you want to free up your current machine for.

Last option is Ebay, I still see these on there for any where from $130 - $300 bucks. For the little amount of money it would cost to upgrade though, you should keep it for some use.

Check this out to: http://www.welovemacs.com/imflsepa.html

-Hackersmovie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick an older copy of OS X server on it (they're cheap on eBay), and run DHCP, mail, netboot, and a ton of other goodies on it.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: What to do with an iMac G3 Reply with quote

jnoyola24 wrote:
I want to put it in use, so no smart answers please.

http://www.imacquarium.com/

OK, I couldn't help myself. Laughing

I think ClunkClunk and hackersmovie have some good ideas, but at some point you need to ask yourself if upgrading is worth it. Personally, I think you would be better off taking that money and putting it towards a new Mac mini or iMac. JMHO
iLife's a Bitch!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What to do with an iMac G3 Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
jnoyola24 wrote:
I want to put it in use, so no smart answers please.

http://www.imacquarium.com/

OK, I couldn't help myself. Laughing

I think ClunkClunk and hackersmovie have some good ideas, but at some point you need to ask yourself if upgrading is worth it. Personally, I think you would be better off taking that money and putting it towards a new Mac mini or iMac. JMHO

g5g5- Agreed but, for around $200 bucks you could have some serious upgrades and it can still run OS X Tiger. All in all, I wouldn't spend to much, but it sure would be a fun project.

-Hackersmovie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

server is about it really, now if it was a graphite, then it would make a very nice server, and run Tiger very nicely.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
FCGrabo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Graphite? Reply with quote

I wonder why a graphite iMac is a better choice. Is it perhaps that it just looks so cool?

I have exactly the same iMac which I lent to a friend in the hopes of converting a switcher.

Isn't it true that, with a program like XPostFacto you could run OS X Tiger on that Mac?

I know from personal experience that Ubuntu Linux will dual boot with Os X Panther sweetly.

An old iMac is a terrible thing to waste.
Gesiwuj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have it Cool
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just so happens I got my hands on 2 old iMacs.

1 is the ole' BondiBlue (this baby still boots into OS 8!) 233Mhz, 4Gb HDD, 128Mb RAM, I am in the process of putting a 80Gb HD, 512Mb RAM (that's maxed Very Happy) and a Sonnet 600Mhz Processor upgrade, and of course OS 10.4.8. I'll post when it's finished, I plan to use it as a file server and guest e-mail & web browser (ain't I nice) I'll have a total of $300 bucks, I got the machine for FREE, so I think it's a bargain, to each his own.

The other is a Graphite 500Mhz, 40Gb HD, 128 Mb RAM, I am in the process of putting a 120Gb HD, 1Gb RAM and new DVD-R optical drive and of course OS 10.4.8, this one is a buddy of mine, he dug it out of his shed and wanted to put it to use, he burns tons of CD's so he's going to use it for a file server and media burner.

See, there is always a use for some old Macs. Plus, it's cool when someone comes in and see's them and they ask " does that thing still work?" and I say "Yep, Macs aren't like PC's you can still run current sofware and OS's on a machine they built 8 years ago!" Try running Windows 3.1 on a PC today, then again why would you? Laughing

-Hackersmovie "My collection of Mac's is growing rapidly!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: