123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting files on and off the HDD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vertigo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Getting files on and off the HDD Reply with quote

I'm a little confused about how this AppleTV thingy works, and I haven't had the time to watch the keynote video. Does it basically mount like an iPod in iTunes? Meaning you can add or delete files off the HDD once it's mounted. I would also assume it mounts in the Finder under Network with its own music, movies and pictures folders.
~JBL Creature II speakers
~Apple keyboard
~MS laser mouse
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncertain, I have only seen that it "streams" the iTunes content to it. iTunes must "see" it when it's powered up. I am guessing.

-Hackersmovie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
offa_broadway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I could see in the Gallery photos, the Apple TV shows up exactly like an iPod would. Adding & removing files and playlists would be as simple as that I'd think.

MacBook Core2Duo 2.0/1Gb Superdrive
MacMini CoreDuo 1.66/Superdrive - Sold
Logitech Z4-i Sound System
iPod Nano 1Gb, Black
ftaok

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched the Keynote and this is how I saw the aTV working with iTunes.

aTV will "sync" to only 1 computer (Mac/PC). aTV can "stream" from up to 5 computers (Mac/PC).

The computer that the aTV is synced to will have an icon on iTunes, just as it would for an iPod, ROKR, etc. From there, you have to ability to set how the computer is synced to the aTV. Steve showed some examples, for instance, you could set up some rules that synced up your 10 most recent, unwatched movies to sync. Or, you could set it to sync all of your podcasts from the last 30 days. And so on.

The syncing will occur in the background, so high speed wireless isn't as important.

As for the streaming feature, Jobs demostrated this by having Schiller show up on stage with a Macbook. After entering a PIN on the Macbook (not sure how the PIN is set up - they didn't elaborate), Jobs was able to stream an episode of The Office from off of Schiller's Macbook. The episode was not downloaded onto the aTV's hard drive, although it is unclear as to whether the hard drive was used as a buffer.

ft
garty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftaok seems to have it right, at least that is my understanding. The aTV is either synced to an itunes library just like an ipod is or you can stream from up to five computers.

As for the pin - it looked like the same kind of pin generated when you pair a bt phone with your mac, i.e. generate a code on the phone and enter that code on the computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: