123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils iPhone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link... That thing is feakin' beautiful. The picts at apple do it no justice after you see these.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a beautiful and feature packed phone. But there are some things I'm not so sure about... most are minor nitpicks..

-No user installable apps?
-No wireless syncing?
-Expandable memory (not NEEDED, but wanted)..

The biggest thing...

-No removable battery?
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot imagine it not syncing to Address book. No biggie. I'm wondering what the Apple care will cost, or if Cingular will carry the insurance.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
It's a beautiful and feature packed phone. But there are some things I'm not so sure about... most are minor nitpicks..

-No wireless syncing?

The biggest thing...

-No removable battery?

If you put the thing in the cradle it will sync and charge. That eliminates 2 of your issues (unless your talking about replacing the battery at the end of its life).

What do you mean by no user installable apps? How do you know this?

I've never had to remove the battery from my phone or my iPod. I use my phone up to 2000 minutes per month (for business) and my iPod gets used up to 12 hours per day.

I agree expandable memory would be nice, but the iPods don't have this feature either.

Maybe it can sync through bluetooth or wifi.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
-No wireless syncing?
-No removable battery?

I'll ask when I'm at Macworld on Friday, if I remember.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
1. How much video, music, photo, and contact info are you going to be able to store on these things? I mean 4gb and 8gb aren't alot when you start loading video content on them!!! And how much of that storage is taken up by the OS? Maybe a new type of compression?

I would assume that the iPhone has its own dedicated memory set aside for the OS. I think you bring up a good point though. 4GB to 8GB of storage is pretty weak, once you start talking about video. Example: Steve had Pirates of the Caribbean II on his iPhone. That's 1.73GB out of the 4GB or 8GB gone. I think the capacities should have been higher, maybe like 12GB and 16GB.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the storage is fine, I mean really...how many movies are people going to watch in one day on their phone anyhow? Battery life gives you two movies worth then you have to actually do something different, like read a book or go outside Wink
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to see how the vehicle mounts are going to handle the pivot feature.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I'm interested to see how the vehicle mounts are going to handle the pivot feature.

You won't miss a thing if you roll your vehicle! Laughing Laughing
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
I think the storage is fine, I mean really...how many movies are people going to watch in one day on their phone anyhow? Battery life gives you two movies worth then you have to actually do something different, like read a book or go outside Wink

An eBook? Wink

I think what you are saying is true, but movies, music and pictures can add up fast. By the way, how cool was that demo for the photo app? I'm talking about how you can spread your fingers to enlarge or pinch to zoom in on a picture. It does the same thing with Google maps. I've never seen anything like that. As you can tell, I get excited about stupid stuff. Laughing
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Not the most reliable source, but...
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/01/09/iphone-will-not-allow-user-installable-applications/
I think the title in the URL says it all...

I CERTAINLY don't expect to be able to install WoW on it. Smile But I am sure there will be the ability to install SOME apps (even if they are selected apps made available by Apple).

Heck, as long as custom Widgets can be installed, that's good enough for me!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BigLee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BBC have footage of the Iphone keynote speech

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ukfs_news/hi/bb_wm_fs.stm?news=1&bbram=1&bbwm=1&nbram=1&nbwm=1&nol_storyid=6246625&checkedBandwidth=bb&checkedMedia=asx&subtitles=hide&alreadySeen=1
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
What do you mean by no user installable apps? How do you know this?

I've never had to remove the battery from my phone or my iPod. I use my phone up to 2000 minutes per month (for business) and my iPod gets used up to 12 hours per day.

I agree expandable memory would be nice, but the iPods don't have this feature either.

Maybe it can sync through bluetooth or wifi.
I never said I knew those, that is why the question marks were up. There is a report from TUAW, when one of their writers flat out asked some Apple representatives at the iPhone booth answering questions. They asked, "can we install our own programs?", the answer they reported back was "no, only apps made by Apple". So TUAW took it, as you can't write or get any small third-party apps for your iPhone. That is why I left the question mark.

The reason I asked about the removable battery is because of two reasons, the phone and the iPod. If anything I'm going to watch movies and TV shows on this thing, which it doesn't have the longest life when combining watching video or then placing a call. So if I want to watch a movie on the bus or in a car or a plane (provided I don't have a different power adapter) and I use it the battery, when I get to my destination I won't be able to make any calls? I have used my iPod for long trips, either on the plane or what not. And once it is over my iPod is completely dead.
Plus there are people who are always on the go and talk on their phones for more than 5 hours a day and use multiple batteries. I'm not saying everyone does. I'm just saying it would be nice to swap out the battery whenever you need to. Including when the internal battery is dead.
iMav wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Not the most reliable source, but...
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/01/09/iphone-will-not-allow-user-installable-applications/
I think the title in the URL says it all...

I CERTAINLY don't expect to be able to install WoW on it. Smile But I am sure there will be the ability to install SOME apps (even if they are selected apps made available by Apple).

Heck, as long as custom Widgets can be installed, that's good enough for me!
I'm not saying I want to install WoW or any games. But maybe something like Skype or Adium? Maybe I'd like a mobile Shapeshifter to change the look around? I would just like options and variety. It would just be an extra bonus on top of the unit.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the fun begins:

Cisco sues Apple over use of iPhone name

It won't matter if Apple wins or loses the suit. Everyone will call it iPhone, no matter what the name ends up being, and Apple wins.

Smile

Jamie
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
Cisco sues Apple over use of iPhone name

It won't matter if Apple wins or loses the suit. Everyone will call it iPhone, no matter what the name ends up being, and Apple wins.

Smile

Jamie
Of course, it's Apple plus it is the iPod phone. Plus Cisco's iPhone is cheesy Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: