123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Announces Apple TV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I thought they might be going out earlier in the month. I feel better now.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just finished watching the keynote, and I have to say that I'm a bit more inclined to buy an Apple TV than I was.

What holds me back is the pricing. $299 for an Apple TV plus $179 for an updated Airport Express with 802.11n gets you pretty close to a standalone Mac mini. That makes me think I might be better waiting for an updated Mac mini, which might have the 802.11n built in already.

Confused

Jamie
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
[...] What holds me back is the pricing. $299 for an Apple TV plus $179 for an updated Airport Express with 802.11n gets you pretty close to a standalone Mac mini. That makes me think I might be better waiting for an updated Mac mini, which might have the 802.11n built in already.

You don't need wireless though. The Apple TV has an ethernet port, to keep things low-cost. Also, they seem to say in the specs that only 802.11g is required for video. I'm guessing 802.11n will only increase the range allowed between your source and the Apple TV.

I, for one, hope it supports 4:3 televisions, despite the "widescreen required" notes. What seems weird is the specs, "640x480 content", which is 4:3... Confused
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
Well I just finished watching the keynote, and I have to say that I'm a bit more inclined to buy an Apple TV than I was.

What holds me back is the pricing. $299 for an Apple TV plus $179 for an updated Airport Express with 802.11n gets you pretty close to a standalone Mac mini. That makes me think I might be better waiting for an updated Mac mini, which might have the 802.11n built in already.

Confused

Jamie

I hear you loud and clear. I've been going back and forth between the Mac mini and Apple TV (iTV at the time) in my head for the last few weeks. I mostly ended up going with the Apple TV because of its price. Now I can keep using this 1.66GHz model as my primary desktop. I basically wanted something to control iTunes and watch TV shows on my plasma TV. Another thing is, I just purchased a PS3 and don't have any more HDMI or DVI ports open. That leaves me with component video, which was something the Mac mini couldn't offer.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
What seems weird is the specs, "640x480 content", which is 4:3... Confused

I wonder if it does 640x480 with pillar boxes or stretches it out?
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
I, for one, hope it supports 4:3 televisions, despite the "widescreen required" notes. What seems weird is the specs, "640x480 content", which is 4:3... Confused

TV pixels are not square, so 640x480 is possible on a 16:9 display.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it will run on a monitor that is using V-compression, making it to 16:9. If not I'll have to wait until I get a new TV. Though I'm going to wait a while, which is probably going to delay any chance of getting an Apple TV until sometime in April or May. But that is fine with me.

The widescreen thing got me at first, but I guess we will see.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1080i Shocked Shocked Shocked
Are you Kidding ME Shocked Shocked Shocked

Maybe I'm Missing something here.
But if I have a BIG 1080P Hi Def TV -
Why in the world would I want to buy an Apple TV.
I want 1080p content for my 1080p TV. Question Question Question
My Mac Mini does 1080p like butter,
I can buy another one and stream content to it. Rolling Eyes
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...... then do that and get a Mac Mini.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to keep on keepin' on with my Mac mini with Front Row and Media Central. I'll take a closer look at the AppleTV once the reviews start coming out. I would be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued.
Jowl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a Way, the AppleTV is too early - certainly in the UK.

We don't have iTunes TV store yet and it would take an age to download, and probably breaking all the damn bandwidth usage limits. So while IPTV is clearly on it's way, it's not ready yet.

Having a TV tuner would have been much sweeter - I could record current OTA TV content and stream from other computers.

So it's not really AppleTV for me but Yet Another Streaming Device (YASD)

Also, At least I can bodge/hack/install 3rd party software to make my Mini play format I want, rather than formats Apple wants me to use.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Also, they seem to say in the specs that only 802.11g is required for video. I'm guessing 802.11n will only increase the range allowed between your source and the Apple TV.

It's less about range and more about bandwidth, I think.

You could watch content over 802.11g from one computer, but it's pushing the capacity of the bandwidth. And with 802.11g you can forget about syncing with multiple computers.

When I make an investment of this size, I'm doing it for the long term, to get as much cutting-edge technology for the buck as I can. That's why, for me, doing this over 802.11g is a non-starter.

Devo, good point about the open ports. I do have an open DVI port and a VGA port on my TV, so I do have some options. But that could definitely limit a lot of people's options.

Finally, there's the issue of preordering. For my situation, it doesn't make sense to preorder an Apple TV that wouldn't come until at least March. That's two months in which the mini could get a significant update, possibly to 802.11n wireless. For me, it makes sense to wait, and get an Apple TV in March if it makes more sense then.

Smile

Jamie
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
Finally, there's the issue of preordering. For my situation, it doesn't make sense to preorder an Apple TV that wouldn't come until at least March. That's two months in which the mini could get a significant update, possibly to 802.11n wireless. For me, it makes sense to wait, and get an Apple TV in March if it makes more sense then.
True. They might make the Mini even more home theater friendly than it is now by then.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Having a TV tuner would have been much sweeter - I could record current OTA TV content and stream from other computers.

I agree; this seems to be lacking quite a bit. No ability to hang a HD off of it (firewire vault of ripped DVDs would be sweet), no tuner to record shows or time shift, and it just runs front row, which has no search capabilities, so it's dependant on your foldering.

I dunno, it just seems like a glorified file browser with MP3 player and a few video codecs. I'm underwhelmed.

Sad
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of the criiticism of the Apple TV features/capabilities is missing the point. Apple is trying to create a $299 easy-to-use home appliance for consumers who simply want to access video etc. residing on one computer on their TV/audio setup in some other location.

To expect it to equal or exceed HTPC setups isn't realistic. For the target audience, this is cheaper and easier to use than a Mac Mini (or whatever); for "power users" a Mini will definitely better.

What -I- am hoping for is that the wide-screen aspects of Apple TV will make their way into Front Row for MiniHTPC folks like myself.

Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: