123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Announces Apple TV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stanski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:

I'd like to watch H.264 IPTV on my HDTV, the same H.264 channels I can watch on my computer using Media Central.

Well, the ATV does decode H.264 and MPEG-4. So if you would like to watch H.264 content, you can import it into your iTunes library and stream from there.

Granted, I wish they would give more info on the ATV. I wonder if third party software can be written for the interface.
100 GB 7200rpm Hard Drive

MacBook
2.16 Core 2 Duo
2 Gigs RAM
250 GB 5400rpm Hard Drive

Mac Pro (Hackintosh)
2.4 Core 2 Duo
4 Gigs Ram
1 TB Hard Drive

And yes I own the Leopard Family License
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm.... I think I may have missed something but, I love it and have already pre-ordered it. I have 4 Macs all with video/music/photos on them currently it involves either trasferring files or disconnecting and reconnecting a bunch of cables, with this I can access content on up to 5 machines!!!! no more hassles!!! It will certainly make things easier. Plus, 2 of my machines are not near my plasma, this box will bring the content into the room with no wires, I couldn't ask for more!!!

This is just one example, I am sure that once they hit the market in get into our hands we'll find more uses for it. We may be "jumping to conclusions" here, before the product is even on the shelves.!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

-Hackersmovie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
heulenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: What we've been waiting for Reply with quote

Nice, I can leave my Mini on my desk - like the computer it is - and for half the price of another mini view the stuff that actually looks good on a HDTV in the living room. I dig the concept. I'll be very curious to see about the execution.

Steve mentioned its got an "Intel chip." What does that mean? Intel makes lots of "chips."

I'm not sure about the pre-802.11n feature. I've read that pre-N devices are having all sorts of interoperability and backwards compatibility problems. The need for the additional bandwidth is there, especially with streaming HD content, but is the standard up to the task in today's crowded 2.4 GHz frequency band? Just as important, are they going to release a corresponding pre-N airport card for the mini?

As a side note, I just upgraded my mini from 512 MB RAM to 2 GB last night and its like a new system. I love it!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
ummm.... I think I may have missed something but, I love it and have already pre-ordered it.

I preordered one. At the least, it will give my G4 and G5 Macs some new life and excitement. I still haven't decided on an Intel Mac yet. I thought that would be accomplished today, but Apple didn't cooperate. Sad
iLife's a Bitch!
heulenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: WPA? Reply with quote

Also, the specs pages don't specifically say whether the Apple TV will support WPA. How would I get my huge, (hopefully) uncrackable WPA key input to it without a keyboard, anyway? Will it operate like an Airport base station, being initially configured through the ethernet port via custom software? If I have to remove security from my wireless network to use it, I'm not interested.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
ummm.... I think I may have missed something but, I love it and have already pre-ordered it.

I preordered one. At the least, it will give my G4 and G5 Macs some new life and excitement. I still haven't decided on an Intel Mac yet. I thought that would be accomplished today, but Apple didn't cooperate. Sad

Very Happy I know I was surprised no iLife, iWork, iPod (other than iPhone), no new computers either?!!??!?!

WHAT HAPPENED TO LEOPARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Hackersmovie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:

WHAT HAPPENED TO LEOPARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It took a cat nap.

I think Apple will have a special event in another month or so for Leopard, iLife, iWork, computers, displays and stuff.
iLife's a Bitch!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: WPA? Reply with quote

heulenwolf wrote:
Also, the specs pages don't specifically say whether the Apple TV will support WPA. How would I get my huge, (hopefully) uncrackable WPA key input to it without a keyboard, anyway? Will it operate like an Airport base station, being initially configured through the ethernet port via custom software? If I have to remove security from my wireless network to use it, I'm not interested.

I'm sure Apple will have a built-in or remote setup utility.
iLife's a Bitch!
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to get my widescreen. Then I'll buy my Apple TV.
Apple wrote:
What you need.
Widescreen TV
Mac or PC
iTunes 7.1 or later
Wired or wireless network
HDMI cable or
Component video cables and analog audio cables or optical audio cable

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they make some serious upgrades to Front Row.

I want to browse and buy from the Apple store from within Front Row!
splen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
[WHAT HAPPENED TO LEOPARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Hackersmovie

Look at the GUI on the ipod phone, running osx. There's no aqua to be seen! I think that apple are going to want the iphone to still look 'up to the minute' when Leopard arrives. So I think that it's GUI is the closest we have seen yet to a peek at the new look of leopard!
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Apple wrote:
What you need.
Widescreen TV
Mac or PC
iTunes 7.1 or later
Wired or wireless network
HDMI cable or
Component video cables and analog audio cables or optical audio cable

Weird I didn't see the "widescreen TV" requirement at first. I seriously hope it supports 4:3 screens (via letterboxing) or else I won't be able to use it. Sad
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered one as well.

I only have two minor complaints.

1. The big "TV" on top is tacky. I would rather it just be the Apple logo.

2. I didn't get home from work until almost 6PM. I don't think I'm going to get this sucker until March.

Here is what my order confirmation looks like.

APPLE TV-USA
MA711LL/A
$299.00

Ships by:
Feb 28

Delivers by:
Mar 6

How does that compare?
jeremyh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered mine minutes after the store went live and have the same order confirmation.

While I think this product will have it's place, I seem to recall Elgato trying this with EyeHome not too long ago and, well, you can't get it anymore. Not saying there isn't a market- and certainly Apple has succeeded where others have failed before- but I wonder.

I think we'll have to see how this whole iTunes conduit thing works. Right now, with the Mac mini I have hooked to the plasma, I can drop pretty much any media content on it and have them play back (lots of 3rd party codecs installed). If this thing requires that the media first exists in your iTunes library, sure it's a bit easier to manage, but then that means if iTunes doesn't support/recognize it, you're stuck.

I'm excited to put my Mac mini to other uses (like in my car!) and have this thing handle my media.

The thing I did find interesting is how they handle playing back protected music from multiple computers. If you can have five computers streaming/loading content onto the Apple TV, what happens if they all have different iTMS accounts associated with the content? Does that mean if I have five separate accounts, they can all play on the Apple TV without tying up an authorization or can I only have one account associated with the Apple TV?

I guess we'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, I have a mount to design. Laughing
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Here is what my order confirmation looks like.

APPLE TV-USA
MA711LL/A
$299.00

Ships by:
Feb 28

Delivers by:
Mar 6

How does that compare?

APPLE TV-USA, MA711LL/A, $349.00
Ships by: Feb 28
Delivers by: Mar 7

I ordered right after the store went back online.

jeremyh wrote:
I guess we'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, I have a mount to design. Laughing

The race is on! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: