123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros New AirPort Extreme with 802.11n
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Apple Intros New AirPort Extreme with 802.11n Reply with quote

Apple Intros New AirPort Extreme with 802.11n
Tuesday, January 9, 2007 - 2:42 PM EST
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today introduced the new AirPort Extreme, a simple and elegant wireless networking solution delivering up to five times the performance and twice the range of the previous AirPort Extreme. Based on 802.11n, AirPort Extreme extends a wireless network to even more areas in a home or office and makes streaming digital content and transferring large files faster and easier. The new AirPort Extreme Base Station features a sleek, new design with connections for networked computers, printers and a USB hard drive to quickly and easily share files or back up valuable data and content.

"The new Airport Extreme is the most powerful and easy to use Wi-Fi base station that we have ever made," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With five times the performance and twice the range, now you can transfer bigger files faster and get access to the Internet and your favorite digital media from many areas in your house you couldn't reach before."

Using MIMO (Multiple In Multiple Out) smart antennas and 802.11n technology, AirPort Extreme now delivers greater data throughput and extends the reach of wireless connectivity to more areas of the home, business or school. With the ability to operate in either the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz wireless frequencies, AirPort Extreme also reduces the possibility of interference from appliances and cordless phones that operate in the 2.4 GHz frequency. AirPort Extreme is backward compatible with Macs and PCs using previous generation 802.11b/g wireless technologies.

The AirPort Extreme Base Station features a simple, new design that is just 6.5 inches square and 1.3 inches tall, and a built-in USB port allows users to print wirelessly to a USB printer or turn any external USB hard drive into a shared drive so they can share files or backup valuable data from multiple computers on a network. New AirPort Utility software included with every AirPort Extreme makes it very easy to set up a secure, wireless network for up to 50 simultaneous users within minutes. Users can also set security restrictions, including Internet access limits on their childrens' computers.

The AirPort Extreme Base Station also includes:
- 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking;
- MIMO (Multiple In Multiple Out) smart antennas;
- dual-band antennas for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies;
- three 10/100 Ethernet LAN ports;
- one 10/100 Ethernet WAN port;
- one USB port;
- Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA/WPA-2), 128-bit WEP encryption; and
- a built-in NAT firewall.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/590.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that the AirPort was able to keep the dimensions of the Mini 6.5x6.5, unlike the AppleTV.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so cool. I like the look of this much better than the old design. I'm glad "n" is the standard. I'm sure many people have been waiting for this little guy.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
That is so cool. I like the look of this much better than the old design.
I agree, it looks much much better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cool, but I feel Apple cheated me by not including 802.11n in my new 1.83Ghz Mac mini. Sad
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calicool wrote:
It's cool, but I feel Apple cheated me by not including 802.11n in my new 1.83Ghz Mac mini. Sad

Yah, that would suck. Apple was kind of scrambling with different standards for a while. I think it was the MacBook or MacBook Pro that came out without "n" and shortly after the models were updated. That would have upset me as well.
Calicool

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Calicool wrote:

Yah, that would suck. Apple was kind of scrambling with different standards for a while. I think it was the MacBook or MacBook Pro that came out without "n" and shortly after the models were updated. That would have upset me as well.

True, but Apple included 802.11n in the Core 2 Duo iMacs when the 1.83Ghz Mac mini came out. I probably should have waited for the Core 2 Duo Mac minis to come out. Oh well, win some, lose some. It's still a sweet little computer.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I take it if you connect a USB hard drive to the AirPort, you will be able to run Time Machine wirelessly?
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
So I take it if you connect a USB hard drive to the AirPort, you will be able to run Time Machine wirelessly?

I believe that serves the same purpose from the old model, wireless printing. Dont' know about the wireless backup?!?!

-Hackersmovie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did anyone catch this?............

Quote:
Included software and accessories

AirPort Utility for Mac and Windows
AirPort Disk Utility for Mac and Windows
802.11n Enabler for Mac
Bonjour for Windows
Power cord
Printed and electronic documentation

I am curious to know exactly which models have it. I know the Core2Duo's supposedly have it, what about the CoreDuo's? Maybe, perhaps? What would our aftermarket options be for "n".

-Hackersmovie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
did anyone catch this?............

Quote:
Included software and accessories

AirPort Utility for Mac and Windows
AirPort Disk Utility for Mac and Windows
802.11n Enabler for Mac
Bonjour for Windows
Power cord
Printed and electronic documentation

I am curious to know exactly which models have it. I know the Core2Duo's supposedly have it, what about the CoreDuo's? Maybe, perhaps? What would our aftermarket options be for "n".

-Hackersmovie
Kind of old. Yup, the newer Core 2 Duo iMacs, MacBooks and MacBook Pros have these dormant chips in them. The Core Duo Macs don't have these chips. Interestingly, the Mac Pro doesn't have this dormant chip either.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/25/core-2-duo-imacs-sporting-802-11n-cards/
http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/26/macbook-pros-also-shipping-with-secret-draft-n-cards/
http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/13/apple-put-its-supa-spicy-802-11n-into-the-macbook-too/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:

-Hackersmovie

I think you hit the nail right on the head there. If they have a way to enable "N" on the coreduo's then I for one will be amazed. I wonder if they would release the software to do this even if you dont buy the airport. That way you can still use the existing router you own.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
heulenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: What about an N card for the Mini? Reply with quote

Couldn't you swap an Atheros N card into the Mini in the place of the existing B/G card, theoretically? Would the B/G antenna work since its not MIMO?
myminirocks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me but have they once again not included airtunes with the main base station? Very annoying because I still need my little express for airtunes when I could just replce it with this little baby, get the additional speed, and range and keep my airtunes.

This way I still have to have 2 base stations when only one is required!

Bugger!!
Elgato EyeTV Diversity
16G iPhone 3G
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

You can hook up a USB hard drive but it is intended as a "networked" hard drive, WOW way cheaper than buying an actual ethernet drive!!! So, SOCOMRAIDER, maybe you could if you can mount it on your desktop, I am sure you can, you should be able to back up to it.

You can even use a USB hub and add more periphials, like printers so you don't lose your wireless printing either. WAY COOL!!

That would be coo, set up a different folder for each machine and back up wirelessly! Only downside is if that drive fails, you've lost ALL of your backups. Crying or Very sad

I can't wait to see all the "tips and tricks" for these new products.

-Hackersmovie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: