123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils iPhone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmjoe wrote:
The whole time he was talking about it, I kept saying ... please also release one with an 8" screen, please also release one with an 8" screen, ...

What a waste of good OS X software. This would make for a great tablet. $500+, Cingular only with a 2 year contract. Forget it!

Who does he think is going to buy this? The nice thing about Treos is that you can pass them off as a business device and companies will shell out the $$$ for them. Corporate sales is where a lot of the high end phone sales come from. I don't see this catching on as a corporate device.

I guess you haven't followed the keynote on www.macrumorslive.com - this thing is perfect for corporate users, they can keep in touch with everything and communicate with all medias even when they're away from their desk.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said before.. I'm sure it would be nice to walk around with a 9" x 6" tablet as a phone. That would be too huge.

What you want is a portable Mac media player, similar to a portable DVD player.

The iPhone is meant to be a PHONE and multimedia device. You can't necessarily tote around a huge device as a phone. Let me see you answer your 9x6 or 10x7 tablet while driving on the 101.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

I think you are totally wrong.
I think this phone will have a very "cool" factor. The fact that it will be pricey will add to its appeal. For those that it doesn't appeal to... don't buy it.

I'm not saying it doesn't have a "cool" factor. I'm saying I don't know of one human being who has a phone they paid more than $100 for (more often $50 for) which wasn't purchased by the company they work for. Most people don't buy high end iPods either. We're talking $500-$600 here plus a contract ... way more than most anyone has paid for their current iPod and phone combined.

Blu-ray DVD players are cool too, but most people ain't gonna buy ones at the current prices.

That's a very tiny market to maintain a significantly altered version of OS X for.
pmjoe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Let me see you answer your 9x6 or 10x7 tablet while driving on the 101.

I'd use my Bluetooth headset, thanks.
BigLee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When or if do you think this would get a UK release?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmjoe wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

I think you are totally wrong.
I think this phone will have a very "cool" factor. The fact that it will be pricey will add to its appeal. For those that it doesn't appeal to... don't buy it.

I'm not saying it doesn't have a "cool" factor. I'm saying I don't know of one human being who has a phone they paid more than $100 for (more often $50 for) which wasn't purchased by the company they work for. Most people don't buy high end iPods either. We're talking $500-$600 here plus a contract ... way more than most anyone has paid for their current iPod and phone combined.

Blu-ray DVD players are cool too, but most people ain't gonna buy ones at the current prices.

That's a very tiny market to maintain a significantly altered version of OS X for.

Blu-ray players don't add much bling to a persons "cool" factor no matter what the price. I know lots of people who have paid quite a bit of money for their phones. I personally just use the cheap one my company provides. I personally hate cell phones.

I live in a city with one of the highest disposable incomes in the world. There may be more people here buying high priced cell phones than other parts of the world. To me $500 is not a lot of money.

The point that I was trying to make is that if it is expensive it will add to the appeal. The high price of the iPod had the same effect when it was first released. It was something that set you apart from the "not so fortunate". A fancy cell phone for many people is a status symbol. Like the white earbuds a cell phone is something that is very visible in public.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmjoe wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Let me see you answer your 9x6 or 10x7 tablet while driving on the 101.

I'd use my Bluetooth headset, thanks.
Well you won't be able to take that huge thing everywhere. If they made it a separate media device, yeah it would be nice. But do you honestly see people carrying around notebooks for their cell phone?

Honestly that wouldn't sell past you and maybe a few other users. The main thing about the iPhone, is to be a phone and PORTABLE at that. Transporting a huge tablet is not the best thing. If you really want a tablet, but that converted notebook from OWC.

I think you are seriously misjudging the cellular market. This is where MotoRazrs are reigning supreme. Even back when they cost $200 with a contract. People are starting to use their cell phones more than home phones. People spend billions a year just on ringtones. And another huge sum in the millions on wallpaper to customize their phone. So the money is out there. There are a lot of people who want a do everything device. The reason why there aren't too many out there now. No one has been able to do it like Apple has done with this iPhone.

You also have to realize this thing doesn't just replace your cell phone and iPod. It is basically a PDA as well.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
People are starting to use their cell phones more than home phones.

My cell phone is my only phone--I don't have a landline.

I will break my vow to not ever buy Rev. A hardware, and get one of these the minute I can. The device is cool, but the UI is the magic earth-shattering thing. It's as important as the first mouse was.

Bring on gesture-based computing. I can hardly wait.

Razz

Jamie
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
People are starting to use their cell phones more than home phones.

My cell phone is my only phone--I don't have a landline.
I have a landline, but I use it once a month at most. If you want to contact me, you need my cell number, which not everyone has Wink
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmjoe wrote:

First, I paid more than $100 for my cell phone (paid $450) so you know 1 human being! I WILL be buying the iPhone the day it's availble. If I combined the cost of my iPod and current cell phone I can pay $750 for a phone to be equal so at $599 it's a bargain.

Second, I bought a high end iPod like the rest of my friends.

Third, altered or not IT'S OS X!!!!!!! Complete compatibliity with my Mac's!!! I have had a Treo and the intergration is horrible, I feel much better knowing it's using Apple software, it typically works with everyone else's OS's, i.e. iTunes on a PC. So imagine how well it will sync with Outlook, Explorer and "my pictures" on someone's PC.

My 2 cents.

-Hackersmovie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dragracer28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What processor? Most smartphones use a Intel XScale but there is nothing listed in the tech specs.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am total psych'd about this new iPhone. but I am disapointed that they chose Cingular instead on Verizon (which I am in contract with)!

I do have a couple of things that I wonder about though!

1. How much video, music, photo, and contact info are you going to be able to store on these things? I mean 4gb and 8gb aren't alot when you start loading video content on them!!! And how much of that storage is taken up by the OS? Maybe a new type of compression?

2. Do you think that they will allow it to sync with the AppleTV at some point? To view video from your iPhone to your TV would be very cool.
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a GSM system that is Montana based. Cingular uses our towers here since they don't have their own in Montana. I'm stoked they chose a GSM system.

Bad for Verizion users.... but hey, many of the world cell markets are GSM based. I think this product is a GREAT value.

8gb iPod $249,
Unlocked phone on eBay $200+
Crappy laptop with Wi-Fi $500

Being the coolest Mo-Fo with my new iPhone..........PRICELESS!!!!!!!
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the most reliable source, but...
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/01/09/iphone-will-not-allow-user-installable-applications/
I think the title in the URL says it all...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures of a physical unit..
http://www.tuaw.com/photos/iphone-up-close-and-personal/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: