123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Benchmarks: Mac mini with 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Benchmarks: Mac mini with 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo Reply with quote

Benchmarks: Mac mini with 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo
Wednesday, December 27, 2006
Posted by: Glenn

I have seen more than a few benchmarks of Mac minis with T7200 (2.0GHz) or T7400 (2.16GHz) Core 2 Duo chips, but never with the T7600 (2.33GHz). That was until ambanmba posted some details about his Mac mini T7600 (2.33GHz) upgrade in the forums.

"Several people have already put together web pages with photos on how to upgrade the processor on an Intel Mac Mini. The ones I've found so far have been upgrades either of a Core Solo to Core Duo or upgrades to a Core 2 Duo T7200 (2.00Ghz) or T7400 (2.16Ghz). As of this writing, I haven't yet seen any benchmarks of a Mac Mini with a T7600 (2.33Ghz). The purpose of this page is less about bragging (I certainly wasn't the first to upgrade the processor in my Mac Mini) and more about describing my experience with the upgrade - both from a performance perspective and from a 'lessons learned' perspective,"writes ambanmba.

I would suggest that you head on over to ambanmba's site and checkout the numbers. He has a nice collection of Xbench, Geekbench and Cinebench scores comparing his original 1.66GHz Core Duo Mac mini to the new 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo badboy.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/582.html

Last edited by admin on Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:33 am; edited 3 times in total
RickB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have the 2.33Ghz in my Mac mini, but those babies are still selling for a pretty penny. I wonder when Intel is going to start lowering prices? I mean the difference in price between the 2Ghz and 2.33Ghz is mind-blowing.
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickB wrote:
I mean the difference in price between the 2Ghz and 2.33Ghz is mind-blowing.

Exactly I cant justify spending twice the ammount for something not much better than a 2.0, if they make it like an extra 150 for it..maybe. It would still be out of my budget but it would be a reasonable price I think....for someone with the cash.
jcoffey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Memory Reply with quote

He mentioned maxing out the memory - I wonder if he used the same amount of ram in both tests?
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much would it set you back? I still own a G4, 1.5 but soon I will sell it and buy myself a nice 1.66 Core Duo. The pricedifference between the 1.83 and 1.66 is still considerably, I own a External DVD burner and 2 extra harddisks. Later on I might upgrade memory (I plan to have 1 GB installed for 80 euro's, 2 GB is 250 euro's extra = $ 329 in the Apple shop, ) so I don't have to open the box yet. Later I might consider a 7200, 100 GB drive and 2 GB SDRAM, and will open the box some other time. I guess the speedbump will be noticable anyway? Does anyone know of a speedtest between the G4 1.5 and the 1.66 Duo? I've seen a comparison between the 1.42 and the 1.66...
sross

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm weeping after looking at those scores.. where can I buy this chip for 200bucks??!! Sad
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might like to wait after the first week of Januari. I hear there are rumours about new upgrades for the Macmini, the topversion would get a 2.0 core 2 Duo, but what about the cheaper version, will it get the 1.83, anyone?
ambanmba

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Memory Reply with quote

jcoffey wrote:
He mentioned maxing out the memory - I wonder if he used the same amount of ram in both tests?

The tests were run under identical conditions with the only difference being the processor. The memory, HD, software configuration, etc. were all the same under both tests.

-ambanmba
Julia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Memory Reply with quote

ambanmba wrote:
jcoffey wrote:

The tests were run under identical conditions with the only difference being the processor. The memory, HD, software configuration, etc. were all the same under both tests.

-ambanmba

I'm away from home right now, so I can't confirm, but the "before" boot times look long compared to what I'm used to. I have a Core Duo 1.6 w/2GB Apple RAM and I don't think my boot times are that long. I'm always amazed at how quick my mini boots (and I'm running BootCamp as well, which must add a little time I would suspect?)

Julia
ambanmba

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Memory Reply with quote

Julia wrote:
I'm away from home right now, so I can't confirm, but the "before" boot times look long compared to what I'm used to.

I've got a lot of stuff going on in my boot sequence (including connections to external services)... The two benchmarks are for the same boot sequence, but as I noted, they are not the shortest possible... however the relative performance improvement is interesting.

-ambanmba
Julia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Memory Reply with quote

ambanmba wrote:

I've got a lot of stuff going on in my boot sequence

-ambanmba

I figured it was something like that. Nice Work.

J
mrchowmein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff man. I might just get another mini just to play around with and upgrade the processor.

i was looking at the benchmark boot times. Your mini seems to boot slow, even with the upgrade. A full boot up for me takes less than 30 seconds. The fastest bootup for me took 18 seconds including the time it takes me to get to the apple logo. Im running an 1.83 core duo mini with no upgrades. I wonder why is that.
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchowmein wrote:
good stuff man. I might just get another mini just to play around with and upgrade the processor.

i was looking at the benchmark boot times. Your mini seems to boot slow, even with the upgrade. A full boot up for me takes less than 30 seconds. The fastest bootup for me took 18 seconds including the time it takes me to get to the apple logo. Im running an 1.83 core duo mini with no upgrades. I wonder why is that.

Like the guy said in the other posts he is mounting alot of stuff at boot up. Maybe read the other posts and you wouldn't have to ask this question.

Julia wrote:

I'm away from home right now, so I can't confirm, but the "before" boot times look long compared to what I'm used to.

ambanmba wrote:

I've got a lot of stuff going on in my boot sequence (including connections to external services)... The two benchmarks are for the same boot sequence, but as I noted, they are not the shortest possible... however the relative performance improvement is interesting.

-ambanmba

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intel will be lowing the prices of the "E" series C2D chips on Jan 22, 2007 - approx.

There will not be very big drops for the lower end chips, but the upper end chips will be discounted further. Intel will also change the 2MB cache to 4MB in the lower end versions, but keep the price the same. - The

http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-1089-view-intel-conroe-price-drop.html

Not sure if this will apply to the Mobile chips "T" series.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my kids a Core Solo mini when they first came out (replacing their two 1.25Ghz G4 mini's). They will likely inherit my wife's 17" iMac G5 when I get her an Intel machine finally. So, perhaps when prices go down I'll throw a C2D of some sort in it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: