123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fried ethernet port
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allentsc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: fried ethernet port Reply with quote

I need some advice. Lightning fried my ethernet port. What is the best way to resove this problem?
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you bought it from BestBuy just tell them it doesn't work and bring it in for a new one (assuming you bought their warranty thing). They're dumb and will just replace it probably.

If you bought it from Apple, or are past the 30-day from BestBuy, call them up and ask them what you could do to get it fixed; basically, don't give them any personal/tracking information until they tell you they can fix it because then you could just call back later, ask a different rep without mentioning that it was zapped by lightning, and you might be able to get it fixed.

Okay, reading Apple's site here I guess that they do not cover the damage. I recommend playing dumb when you call telling them that your ethernet doesn't work.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had an APC surge protector with ethernet surge protection and you were using it. APC would replace the computer. But I think you have to prove you had everything hooked up properly and I believe you have to register what you are insuring prior to the incident.

I'd check with your insurance company to see if you're covered. Then find out what the deductible is.

Here's a link to a USB to ethernet adapter for $30.
http://www.l-com.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=9464&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=9464

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a solution but a workaround: shift to a wireless setup if you have the wireless installed. It'd be nicer to not have that extra wire; the Mini's too small and purty to have its same volume in cables dangling off of it.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
castaway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeowners insurance would cover it.
EL34

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That USB ethernet dongle linked above won't work because it doesn't come with Mac OSX drivers. A search at Newegg and Froogle did not turn up a USB ethernet adapter that supports OSX. This guy's predicament is the downside of the Mini's design. It's not easy to repair. If it was a beige box of of-the-shelf commodity parts (aka Dell) it could be repaired for $12 in 5 minutes with only a screwdriver.

Any guess what Apple is going to charge him to repair this?
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter what computer it would be, since pretty much all computers use an integrated Ethernet controller, it would need to have the entire motherboard replaced. I'm sure there're drivers out there for a generic USB to Ethernet adapter. I'd look now, but I should be coding.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EL34 wrote:
If it was a beige box of of-the-shelf commodity parts (aka Dell) it could be repaired for $12 in 5 minutes with only a screwdriver.

EL34 is correct about the $12/5 min fix. Most PCs you just swap out the ethernet card. Last one I bought was actually less than $10. However, maybe there is hope. I found this which specifically mentions solutions for iMacs or Minis with fried ethernet ports. Give it a look. Hope it helps and let us know what you end up doing. I'd be interested.

http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
EL34 wrote:
If it was a beige box of of-the-shelf commodity parts (aka Dell) it could be repaired for $12 in 5 minutes with only a screwdriver.

EL34 is correct about the $12/5 min fix. Most PCs you just swap out the ethernet card. Last one I bought was actually less than $10.
http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html

When was that last computer you worked on made? I haven't seen a PC that comes with a PCI-based Ethernet controller in forever, especially on the low-end. And because pretty much all Ethernet controllers shipped in today's PCs are integrated that means full motherboard replacement which is way more than $12 and a screwdriver away from a fix. Every Mac comes shipped with an integrated Ethernet controller as well, actually.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
allentsc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: fried ethernet port Reply with quote

After a bunch of time going through all the processes, decided to do the one time mac repair for $50 and took it to a tech who I hope will fix it. Thanks for all the alternative suggestions.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
When was that last computer you worked on made? I haven't seen a PC that comes with a PCI-based Ethernet controller in forever, especially on the low-end.

I work on computers (including the PC variety) for a living.
While many of the low-end PCs that you referenced are certainly no more than a commodity now and many do come with integrated ethernet controllers that by no means calls for a motherboard replacement in the case of a failure. Most (and I say most) PCs allow you to disable the ethernet controller via BIOS at which point you simply insert a new PCI Ethernet card. Even in cases where you can't disable the onboard controller, often you can go ahead and install a second controller, let the OS discover it and run off the 2nd interface. As EL34 said, < $12. Certainly better than advising your customer to run out and buy a new motherboard. Of course, this doesn't really solve the posters problem since we are dealing with a Mac. And we know that Macs are different. Wink
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
When was that last computer you worked on made? I haven't seen a PC that comes with a PCI-based Ethernet controller in forever, especially on the low-end. And because pretty much all Ethernet controllers shipped in today's PCs are integrated that means full motherboard replacement which is way more than $12 and a screwdriver away from a fix. Every Mac comes shipped with an integrated Ethernet controller as well, actually.

Regardess of whether the NIC is integrated or not, $12 will still resolve the issue if there is a spare PCI slot... Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I see all of your points. The thing is, adding a new card doesn't actually fix the problem, a fried ethernet port, it just works around it. It's a perfectly fine solution that works great, still doesn't fix the problem though.

In conclusion, you win, Laughing.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Well, I see all of your points. The thing is, adding a new card doesn't actually fix the problem, a fried ethernet port, it just works around it. It's a perfectly fine solution that works great, still doesn't fix the problem though.

Using your logic, swapping out the motherboard doesn't fix the problem either. You get a new, functiional motherboard, but the old one still has a fried NIC!! Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
Susurrus wrote:

Using your logic, swapping out the motherboard doesn't fix the problem either. You get a new, functiional motherboard, but the old one still has a fried NIC!! Smile

Touche. I think I'm done getting beaten brutally with the mallet of logical thinking... Rolling Eyes
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: