123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

*PICS* my new mini / upgrading
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billabong

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit the Cube fiasco always puts these thoughts in my head, but there's no way would Apple give up on the mini this soon. What else would they use for an entry level machine? What Apple is just going to give up on getting people to switch before they go mainstream with Intel. Just because there hasn't been an update doesn't mean the Mac mini is EOL. There hasn't been an iBook updates for a while either. It would be interesting to go back in history and see how long it took Apple to update a new product like the mini.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it won't be neglected. I'm not trying to turn you off from a Mini because I couldn't see them cutting it out of their product line up until January, which would be the earliest that you'd really see a product change. I don't know if the Mini will be discontinued but I know that it isn't doing as well as everything thinks or hopes. So, if you're planning on buying a Mini, buy a Mini, nothing is going to change between now and January that would affect your purchase. As for support for the Mini, buy an AppleCare plan and you're set for years.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
TheModWiki.org

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Keyboard Reply with quote

EL34 wrote:
I noticed your Kensington wireless keyboard. I have one and like it a lot. But I was never able to get the wireless mouse that came with it to work. How does yours work?

If you were talking to me.. its a Logitech MX3100 kboard/mouse duo Smile
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823126169
Maxtor 300GB Ext. FW
Pioneer DVR-K05 SD

www.PaulStamatiou.com , 9rules Network
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt Apple will drop the mini line any time soon. The only way I could see this happening is if minis are cannibalizing the sales of PowerMacs and iMacs to the point where they are costing Apple money.

I bet the mini became a more popular model of choice after the Intel announcement. People will simply buy a mini expecting to get a couple years out of it and then upgrade to a higher end model later.
TheModWiki.org

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope there's no mini faster than 1.42 cpu-wise.... or i will be looking for a new mini mobo on ebay
Maxtor 300GB Ext. FW
Pioneer DVR-K05 SD

www.PaulStamatiou.com , 9rules Network
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'd find a motherboard on eBay for a long time. The only way I could see the Mini surviving is if Apple brings back it's 17" LCD, really. Either that or provide 3rd party LCDs. The cheapest LCD Apple sells is $999. In the Apple store you cannot buy a fully-functional Mini for less than an iMac, a substantially faster/better iMac.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
The only way I could see the Mini surviving is if Apple brings back it's 17" LCD, really. Either that or provide 3rd party LCDs.

I don't agree with this statement at all. We all bought minis. What sort of evidence do you have to support this statement.

Microsoft sells the Xbox. They don't sell t.v.'s or monitors.

Denon, sells amplifiers, they don't sell speakers etc.

There are enough monitor manufacturers that it really shouldn't be all that difficult to make a mini work. My Apple retailer stocks quite a few.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft doesn't needs to sell TVs because the product is expected to be used with one purchased separately. This is not true for a PC. People, normal people, just want to buy a whole computer that works, which would have to include a monitor. Denon, again, see above.

The problem is not that it's difficult to make a mini work but that it is not easy enough I guess.

The thing is, all of us are technophiles is some way. The average consumer (which exists only for the sake of argument) is not. What good is a box. He needs to interface with it and so needs a kbm. He wants to go into an Apple store and walk out with a working computer. Especially since people seem to think Macs are incompatible (whatever that means) that means he'd probably want to get everything from Apple to minimize problems from "incompatibility." He sees a $999 monitor a $400 computer and $100 worth of peripherals required just to get a fully functioning Mini from Apple and only Apple. He sees an iMac (most likely he completely misses the eMacs as Apple seems to save those for selling to no one....since they really aren't advertised...at all) and decides, hey, for $1299 it's a fully working computer. Oh my God! It's faster too! Why would anyone buy that other thing. Sure it's not as small, but it's all in one, you just buy 1 thing! Yeah, it's a little more than I wanted to spend, but the Mini with a monitor was also more than I wanted to spend, so there we go.

Does this not seem like a reasonable scenario to anyone?
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple is trying to capture the switcher with the mini. The switcher already has a keyboard mouse and monitor.

I'd personally like to see an Apple 15 or 17" for the mini. Maybe Apple is concerned that a cheaper monitor will cannibalize 20" monitor sales. Maybe Apple doesn't want to complicate things with too many choices, like they did with the iPod.

I don't know the answer, but as far as I know, the mini is still selling well.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switcher already has a kbm....in use. On another computer. A switcher, more than likely, is not just going to dump their old computer; it still works well enough. Windows users put up with a lot more than OS X users and have the mentality of keeping things around because their used to it and because "it works well enough" even though well enough is pretty much never well enough. I would say that most people want a kb, if not a kbm, with their Mini.

I think this is a logical conclusion considering Apple dropped the price of their kbm set $40 to $59 from $99 I believe, I'm not sure on the exact price decrease.

Has anyone actually talked to Apple reps about how the Mini is selling? I would but Louisiana don't got no Apple stores.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
piekea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you eject the mac mini cd drive? just wondering dont have a mini yet...

oh yeah, it might just be me but was there any anotations for the pics?

James
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You drag the CD/DVD icons to the Trash and it ejects.
iLife's a Bitch!
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
You drag the CD/DVD icons to the Trash and it ejects.

You can press F12 if you haven't set Expose or Dashboard to that key. I think you can also reassign the eject button in SysPrefs.

There's also an option to do this when it boots up. Just search for it, I've already posted it twice.
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piekea wrote:
How do you eject the mac mini cd drive?

If you buy an apple keyboard (which I recommend) it has an eject key on the top right corner.

You can also setup a cd eject icon on the menu bar.
piekea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah i remember now on the keyboard, theres voleume control and other goodies arnt there.

yeah i totaly aggree with you there about getting an apple keyboard, and mouse even too. but to be quite honest actually getting the damn thing would be a start you know lol

oh yeah i heard that the apple mouse and keyboard works with windows, and i remember that it is a push down mouse, but i cant remember if theres a right click

you know what, i was in paris the week that apple had that exhibition, i really wanted to go, but i diddnt have the time Confused

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: