123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Look: Macpower M9-Mini Pod [Updated]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:

I mean, how do you feel about $1300 for a plastic enclosure? Oh, well, it also has an iMac G5 in it, but it's still plastic, right...?

Points taken. The overall features of the M9 are great. I think we can agree that! I'm more disappointed with the pricing. I'd still feel the same way about the M9's price if it had a metal case. I wasn't trying to down the M9 just because it's made out of plastic. Maybe I could have expressed myself better.
Charles
News Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For our German visitors....

http://www.lauwe.de/index.cgi?session=86a1586606e7415b80e08d8c46c0b40b&id=1760&menu=&WG_ID=&do=details

They're selling the M9 for 75.40 EUR or $90.00 US

Charles
123Macmini.com
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we actually have German visitors or was that just a link because you found it sold elsewhere?

For the Germans, du hast.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Charles
News Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Do we actually have German visitors or was that just a link because you found it sold elsewhere?

For the Germans, du hast.

No we have them! We get a fair amount of visitors from Germany, Australia, Japan, and the UK. I also wanted to show a price comparison since we've only seen OWC's asking price.

On a side note, 123Macmini is going to be in SVM Mac magazine in September. Very Happy

Charles
123Macmini.com
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVM Mac magazine = ???

Australia...I need to visit there again. Yeah, depending on shipping I'd rather order from that German store. $90 is a tad more realistic for a
Quote:
little plastic enclosure.

1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
cooler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishKepr wrote:
Great news. I think my 160GB Seagate finally found a home.

Let me get this straight: The drive is mounted upside down? Question I guess that doesn't effect operation at all?

I Googled it and read few articles that say you shouldn't mount drives upside down. However, I read a few that say it's ok to do with modern drives. Is there any clarification on this subject?
FishKepr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooler wrote:
FishKepr wrote:
Great news. I think my 160GB Seagate finally found a home.

Let me get this straight: The drive is mounted upside down? Question I guess that doesn't effect operation at all?

I Googled it and read few articles that say you shouldn't mount drives upside down. However, I read a few that say it's ok to do with modern drives. Is there any clarification on this subject?

I just checked. According to the product manual, the Seagate drive that I have can be mounted in any orientation.
Jackbel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Design : OK - Firewire side : OK - USB side : BAD Reply with quote

On Tuesday June 28, 2005 admin wrotes :
First Look: Macpower M9-Mini Pod

Pros:
- Build quality is excellent.
- Quiet operation.
- Ports and switches are solid.
- Excellent cooling system with heat sink and fan.
- Raised lip around the top cover keeps Mac mini in place.
- Rear power switch is easy to manipulate.
- Front design with no logos.

Cons:
- Color is slightly darker than Mac mini.
- Top cover could have fit better.

I agree with all the "Pros" but unfortunately have some majors "Cons" to add ...

Effectively, design is OK (even if enclosure is in painted plastic, not aluminium) and operation is quiet.
But there are major flaws.
In short, firewire side is OK and their ports are powered (even too much, see below).
But USB side is almost terrible. You can just use it as a hub for NON HDD devices.
The USB hub is underpowered. For example, you cannot mount 2.5 HDD without using another USB port to give sufficient power.
And I have some other USB devices which have problem with the M9-DX (like MP3 player and USB keys).
But the worst is that for all HDD connected via USB (thus as well for internal disk as for external ones) the computer crash when you try to copy large files to them.
I suggest to connect the internal HDD always in firewire mode.

Unfortunately, the Mac Mini, and I believe some others recent Macintosh, let always the power on its firewire connector, even when shutdown.
Any peripheral connected to the firewire port thus stay constantly ON (a 2.5 HDD will run non-stop).
This is also true for ALL devices connected to the M9-DX firewire ports (even if the M9-DX is power off !).
Fortunately, the HDD mounted inside the enclosure shut down when you stop the Mac Mini (but the M9-DX blue led remains on).
But, as soon as you power OFF-ON the M9-DX or unplug then plug the firewire cable linked to the Mac (with M9-DX on), the internal disk will start...forever.
If you want to stop it without power off the M9-DX or unplug the firewire cable, you must restart and then shut down the Mac (Mini) again.
Note that these "problems" are more in relation with the way the Mac Mini manages its firewire port (no problem at all with my iMac G4).
But, as a Mac Mini companion, the M9-DX would have been able to try to find a solution for.

I bought 2 of these units (same results on both)

Pros :
- Firewire side OK

Cons :
- Color is slightly darker than Mac mini.
- Top cover could have fit better.
- USB mode for internal HDD not reliable (crash)
- USB hub underpowered for 2.5 HDD
- Problem with some other USB devices
- Plastic enclosure (not aluminium)

Jackbel - Bxl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: