123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VMware Releases Fusion Beta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: VMware Releases Fusion Beta Reply with quote

VMware Releases Fusion Beta
Friday, December 22, 2006
Posted by: Brian

VMware has posted a beta version of Fusion, the Mac version of its desktop virtualization software. The new software allows Intel-based Macs to run x86 operating systems, such as Windows, Linux, NetWare and Solaris, in virtual machines at the same time as Mac OS X. According to the company, "Fusion is built on VMware's rock-solid and advanced desktop virtualization platform that is used by over four million users today. With Fusion, you can run traditional PC applications on your Mac: if you need to run PC applications, you can now do so by leveraging the power of virtual machine technology." In order to try out the beta, you need to apply for a trial license key. The download itself weighs in at 110.7MB.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/580.html
MacScout67

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Apple snuggles up with Parallels for something in Leopard, it will be lights out for VMware before they even get off the ground. It might already be lights out for them with how well Parallels has been received. That being said, it's always good to see more competition in the marketplace. It prevents companies from getting lazy and resting on their laurels.
Zalez

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to have this and Parallels installed at the same time? I might like to give both of them a try.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I watch this, this looks pretty sleek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_0hia6BxS0&mode=related&search=
Imagine drag & drop, you don't need an extra FAT32 partition anymore, Using iSight in Windows, etc...
Plus VM ware has way more expirience in these kind of things! Very Happy
Brendan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zalez wrote:
Is it possible to have this and Parallels installed at the same time? I might like to give both of them a try.

Yes. I have both on my MBP.

Brendan
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:

Yes. I have both on my MBP.

Brendan

Which one do you like better?
iLife's a Bitch!
Cyrealm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got both installed as well. I've been mainly using Parallels to run XP Home and so far I'm quite pleased with it. I can do drag and drop between desktops quite nicely. Haven't had much time to test VMware yet but I can say that it runs 2000 Professional well. I've got an XP Professional license that is currently in use with Bootcamp but I might migrate it over to VMware.
Brendan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:

Which one do you like better?

I haven't used the VMWare one that much, but it seems on par with Parallels.
When you install it, it says it is locked in debug mode and to expect sup-optimal performance. I didn't find it that slow, but I didn't do much with it anyway. I like the coherence feature of Parallels.

Brendan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: