123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mac User

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheHumphries

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: New Mac User Reply with quote

Hello All!

New member and soon to be MacMini user. Great Site!

Couple Questions for you guys and gals.

My wife was wanting a new computer to do graphics, movies , and photos so I purchased her the higher end Mac Mini.

The unit arrives tomorrow and I was wanting some advice in regards to if I should purchase any other accessories or software?.

Should I expect some time in getting used to using the Mac since we are both PC users? Anything else I should expect?

I purchased the MightyMouse and an Apple Keyboard but I think I will give those to her for X-mas as a surprise (I have old USB keyboard/mouse laying around to use). Should I stick with that or give them to her with the Mac if they are needed that badly?

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance.
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Good Choice Reply with quote

The Mac Mini was a good choice. I also use PCs regularly, and while Mac OS X is definitely different in some details, I have not found it to be a problem using both. I don't expect it to work the same and just accept it as it is, like driving two cars with different controls. Some people want to make it more like their PC, which is a mistake, I think.

As for software, get used to what comes with it before deciding what you need, if you are not sure now.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your PC keyboard and mouse will work with the Mini. Save the Apple versions for Christmas! Regarding the use of the Mini by a PC user, from what I observed with PC users using my Mac in the lab, it will be pretty automatic. The biggest habit that is hard to break is clicking on a button to quit an application and finding that you quit the document but not the application. To quit a Mac application you have to either use the menu or the key combination 'cmd-Q'. Oh yes, the cmd key on a Mac keyboard is the third key from the left or right at the bottom, whereas it's the first key at the bottom that does the quitting, cutting, pasting, saving, etc. on a PC.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mac User Reply with quote

TheHumphries wrote:

I purchased the MightyMouse and an Apple Keyboard but I think I will give those to her for X-mas as a surprise (I have old USB keyboard/mouse laying around to use). Should I stick with that or give them to her with the Mac if they are needed that badly?.

Are they the wireless versions? If not, return them and get wireless versions. You won't regret it!
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums and the world of Mac. For photos and movies, you can use iLife that comes with the Mac. You can do quite a bit with iPhoto and iMovie so you might find that might fit for what you'll be doing. Save the mouse and keyboard for the Xmas gift, but enjoy the Mac now!!!
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Macuser9214

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For graphics, install x11, then install the GIMP.

Its the BEST photo editor out there, and its free/open-source.

Check it out.
TheHumphries

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Mac Received Reply with quote

hey Guys.

Thanks for all the posts!

I have received the mac and loving it so far. Slowly learning. Biggest thing to adjust to is the Close, Mini, and Max are on the left side not the right. Installing programs is difficult at first, but now picked it up and am rolling!

Only thing I haven't figured out so far is how to sync my 7105t Blackberry with iCal. I can connect to my phone. I installed the BlackBerry software, but via bluetooth I can't connect to it to sync.

But overall, i am most pleased and my wife is already going nuts with the iDVD and iPhoto!

Thanks!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats and Enjoy!! I am sure before long you'll need to get your own Mac Very Happy Don't be shy about looking here for info. or starting new posts, I am sure you'll get your answer and then some very quickly.

-Hackersmovie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: