123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell Reveals 22-inch LCD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Dell Reveals 22-inch LCD Reply with quote

Dell Reveals 22-inch LCD
Friday, December 15, 2006
Posted by: Glenn

According to reports, Dell is poised to release its 22-inch E228WFP wide-aspect LCD in the United States. The display is already available in Australia and Japan. The 22-inch display has a 1680x1050 resolution, which is typical for a display around this size, although many recent ones are showing up to be capable of displaying images at 1920x1200. It also features an 800-to-1 contrast ratio, 300cd/m2 brightness, 160-degree viewing angles, 5 ms gray-to-gray response time, DVI and support for HDCP high definition content protection. No word yet on the exact release date or pricing, but we'll keep you posted.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/576.html
MacRat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this compare to the ViewSonic 22" that is already available? ($349 in Costco BTW)

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx2235wm/
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacRat wrote:
How does this compare to the ViewSonic 22" that is already available? ($349 in Costco BTW)

I'm not sure about the difference in price, but it looks like they compare quite well. The ViewSonic has slightly lower brightness and contrast ratios levels, but includes built-in speakers. Personally, I like the styling of the ViewSonic you linked to better.
grayskyz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up the Samsung 22" 225bw for 379.99 at Circiut city price matched from compusa. Its a great monitor, very bright, good viewing angle. Great buy if you can get that deal.

heres a crappy cellphone pic

http://homepage.mac.com/fonsecafoto/.Pictures/samsungmon.JPG

C.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to be negative, but I don't think anything Dell deserves a front page news article.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Not trying to be negative, but I don't think anything Dell deserves a front page news article.

yeap...although dell monitors are really the only descent dell product....a samsung for a few bucks more is well worth it, theyre nice.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

I don't know. There are a lot of people using Dell displays with their Mac mini. I have one question though. Why is Dell releasing their displays overseas before here? I think they did the same thing with their new 24" and 27" displays. In fact, I still don't see the 27" display being offered on their website. Doesn't that seem backwards for a US-based company?
iLife's a Bitch!
grayskyz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy has a dell but in true mac fashion he blacked out the DELL letters and tells people its generic!

C.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

I don't know. There are a lot of people using Dell displays with their Mac mini.
True, but it's not a Mac Mini specific accessory (like a Hang on mi, CinnaMount, Ministack, etc.) or an actual Apple product (Intel Mini updates, iTV news, etc.).

I just don't think it is all that newsworthy for the front page.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, Dell has always made some of the best displays for the money. The 24-incher always comes to mind first. So it's always good to see them expand their lineup. They also put pressure on Apple as far as pricing goes. And I, for one, think that is a good thing.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacRat wrote:

I like the gloss black border on this model.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 22" monitor is a relatively new product, but it must be popular because there have been a lot of new ones out. I think that Samsung might have been the first, but now there's Acer, Viewsonic, Dell and at least one other that I never heard of before. The resolution is the same as the 20 inchers, so it's analogous to the 19" being released after the 17". I Think it will be a big seller because it appeals to people who have difficulty reading the tiny text produced at native resolution with 100+ dpi monitors. Personally, I like it a lot. I have three 20" monitors, an iMac, an Apple Cinema ADC and a Dell. I think I'm going to replace the Dell with one; likely the Samsung which I think is the best looking and highest quality of the bunch. I'm very happy with the quality of the Dell I have, but some of their monitors had colour issues. For that reason, I would recommend that you wait for a professional review before buying their new 22 incher.
slickrick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony was making nice displays a year or two ago, but it looks like they are getting out of the computer display business. I agree with the others that say Samsung. I think they are offering the biggest bang for the buck these days. Westinghouse also has a nice looking 22" display for the money. I've seen it at Best Buy a few times. It has basically the same specs as this Dell, including a 5 ms response time.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7802577&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat104900050028&id=1142292834310
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slickrick wrote:
Sony was making nice displays a year or two ago, but it looks like they are getting out of the computer display business. I agree with the others that say Samsung. I think they are offering the biggest bang for the buck these days. snip

Samsung gets the highest remarks on quality screens indeed, but I cannot say I like their widescreen designs. I'm very happy with my HP W19, maybe not so big as an 22" but nevertheless a nice upgrade from aa 4:3 15".
K.C.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsung has been making Apples Cinema Displays and iMac displays since they were introduced.

FYI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: