123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech miniStack for Mac mini
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: NewerTech miniStack for Mac mini Reply with quote

NewerTech miniStack for Mac mini
Tuesday July 5, 2005

NewerTech has introduced the miniStack for the Apple Mac mini. The miniStack is a FireWire/USB2.0 hard drive enclosure kit with integrated FireWire and USB Hubs. The miniStack is essentially the Macpower M9-DX repackaged by NewerTech to sell in the United States. We received a sample of the Macpower M9-DX from Japan last week. You can see our "First Look" review of the M9-DX here. The miniStack kit without a hard drive retails for $99.95. The miniStack can also be purchased with a pre-installed hard drive in the following configurations...

NewerTech miniStack 80GB 7200RPM w/2MB Cache Performance FireWire/USB2 Solution w/Integrated USB2 and FireWire Hubs - Designed for Mac mini. 2 Year NewerTech Warranty. $139.99

NewerTech miniStack 120GB 7200RPM w/8MB Cache Performance FireWire/USB2 Solution w/Integrated USB2 and FireWire Hubs - Designed for Mac mini. 2 Year NewerTech Warranty. $169.99

NewerTech miniStack 160GB 7200RPM w/8MB Cache Performance FireWire/USB2 Solution w/Integrated USB2 and FireWire Hubs - Designed for Mac mini. 2 Year NewerTech Warranty. $179.99

NewerTech miniStack 200GB 7200RPM w/8MB Cache Performance FireWire/USB2 Solution w/Integrated USB2 and FireWire Hubs - Designed for Mac mini. 2 Year NewerTech Warranty. $209.99

NewerTech miniStack 250GB 7200RPM w/8MB Cache Performance FireWire/USB2 Solution w/Integrated USB2 and FireWire Hubs - Designed for Mac mini. 2 Year NewerTech Warranty. $229.99

NewerTech miniStack 300GB 7200RPM w/8MB Cache Performance FireWire/USB2 Solution w/Integrated USB2 and FireWire Hubs - Designed for Mac mini. 2 Year NewerTech Warranty. $289.99

NewerTech miniStack 400GB 7200RPM w/8MB Cache Performance FireWire/USB2 Solution w/Integrated USB2 and FireWire Hubs - Designed for Mac mini. 2 Year NewerTech Warranty. $389.99

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/324.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:44 am; edited 3 times in total
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order Placed. Now I finally have a use for that spare 7200rpm Barracuda! Thanks for the update, 123!
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
skoone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, just ordered mine too, got the enclosure only. Cool! Thanks Charles for the heads up on this one.

By the way, for you Mac Pros out there (LouieMacGoo, this may be an easy one for you!).. I've heard rumors to the effect that OS X can be installed and made bootable on an external firewire drive.. Is this true?? Perhaps one can install OS X on a drive placed inside this enclosure, and just abandon the slow internal notebook drive altogether. It would obviously be faster and more easily accessible for maintenance. Any thoughts on this?

Steve
DoFa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skoone, yes you can clone your drive (use SuperDuper: best mac cloning tool! free for simple one click clones) to your external drive. Then go to System Prefs. and select the clone as you startup.

Then reverse the process in the future and use the internal drive as your backup drive.
skoone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's brilliant! Thanks DoFa, for offering your wisdom.. I think I'll do that since this enclosure has the smarts to power up and down automatically. I believe someone else was wondering how the thing will respond to being put to sleep. Will be interesting to see if it behaves as it should.

Steve
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skoone, you will be able to boot from the external drive after you set it up as Dofa suggests. But I believe that you will still need to keep the internal drive intact and installed in the Mini in order for everything to work properly.

I am going on vacation in the next couple of day and will be gone for about 2 weeks! Once back though I will be looking up NewerTech and maybe OtherWorld too to place an order!!! Maybe by the time I get back from Nova Scotia there will be more companies selling the same thing and the price will come down a little! I hope.

To all those who have already ordered, please let us know how you like it and what you think.

Cheers!!!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JPatrick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Queation about no HD unit Reply with quote

In the unit that sells for $99 with no HD in it, it states this: "Any single 3.5" Parallel ATA Hard Drive (Desktop size) ATA-6 compatible (>128GB Drive Support)"

What does (>128GB Drive Support) mean?
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Queation about no HD unit Reply with quote

JPatrick wrote:

What does (>128GB Drive Support) mean?

Some older controllers or external enclosures did not support a volume larger than 128GB. All this means is that this enclosure will support larger drives (those above 128GB).
Dell 1905FP
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might buy one of these $99 dollar MiniStack kits up and put the drive from my miniMate in it. GD the miniMate is loud! There's something seriously wrong with the chipset or acoustics in the enclosure. By the way, I'm getting confused with all these mini names. Everything is mini this mini that!
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
By the way, I'm getting confused with all these mini names. Everything is mini this mini that!

Gee, I wonder why they keep using that Mini name? Wink

MiniStack, MiniMate, MiniSkirt, MiniThis, MiniThat almost as bad as putting an "i" in front of iEverything!!!!! Razz
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know someone is working on the iminiMini! Laughing Laughing
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question re: booting from these external drives.

Won't the (lack of) speed of firewire transfer rates offset the increase in drive speed? At least partially?

TM
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonymoody wrote:
Question re: booting from these external drives.

Won't the (lack of) speed of firewire transfer rates offset the increase in drive speed? At least partially?

TM

Partially but you should still expect a pretty decent increase in performance if going to a 7200rpm FW drive.
Here is a link I found with some benchmark comparisons.

http://www.budget-ha.com/apple/mac-mini-firewire/

BTW...my miniStack was delivered this afternoon. I'll be performing some xbench comparisons and will post when I have them. My current xbench scores are consistently around 120. It'll be interesting to see the performance gains I see with the FW drive.
Dell 1905FP

Last edited by greg on Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
anthonymoody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - this is exactly the type of info I was looking for...much appreciated.

TM
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:

BTW...my miniStack was delivered this afternoon. I'll be performing some xbench comparisons and will post when I have them. My current xbench scores are consistently around 120. It'll be interesting to see the performance gains I see with the FW drive.

That was fast! How does it look? Nicely made?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: