123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech Announces Quieter miniStack V2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd like to see is a thinner drive+hub, using 2.5" drives. You also have to offer it in "no drive" configuration too, because a lot of people are changing/upgrading their Mac mini drives (for faster/bigger ones) and end up with a spare 2.5" drive (ATA/SATA). Seeing the insides of the Belkin F5U507, I know it's possible to have enough space for a USB2.0 + FireWire 400 hub and one 2.5" drive in less than half the height of a Mac mini.

For aesthetic reasons, I'd make this drive/hub exactly half the height of a Mac mini, so that if you stack two of them you end up with exactly the same height as a Mac mini.

It would look better if you had two of these drives/hubs stacked onto one another, aside a Mac mini, on a setup such as a dual CinnaMount mini installed side-by-side. Cool
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.. would they fit a small TV tuner in it too? I know they have those small USB dongles now.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could make a wish: Make it from matching aluminum and not from colored plastic with a ridge around the corner, that's so ugly! Moreover I don't like the blue bar led, but it should be a micro led at the same place as the MacMini and in white, not blue, just like the MacMini. LaCie and Sabrent made a good effort, although LaCie has the Big LaCie sign and Sabrent makes it just as tall as the mini. Finally, more USB ports is always good, many of us still has the old mini with 2 ports, I even use an Belkin 7 port hub as an extra besides my V2.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
If I could make a wish: Make it from matching aluminum and not from colored plastic with a ridge around the corner, that's so ugly!
I completely agree with that. That is one of the biggest cons about the Ministack, it's plastic and the color doesn't match!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I didnt know it was made from plastic. That may or may not be a deal breaker. Haven't decided.

Secondly, What I DON'T NEED is another small ass 2.5 inch drive. Too slow too small. So who ever brought that up needs one of these: http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-DRIVE-mini.cfm If you want a small drive you get no TV tuner.

And lastly, your not going to get an exact match with the same lights and etc. That may make apple freak. Just make it close. Also make a version with card readers. Now that would be useful.

C.
allinamini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
James T Kirk wrote:
If I could make a wish: Make it from matching aluminum and not from colored plastic with a ridge around the corner, that's so ugly!
I completely agree with that. That is one of the biggest cons about the Ministack, it's plastic and the color doesn't match!

I have a MicroNet enclosure, the construction is very similar to Mac Mini's (ie aluminum case, rubber bottom) the color is excellent.
Eppi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: miniStack V2 quieter operation - engineering & drive Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
rikkileetravolta wrote:
The miniStack has never been, by any means, loud - but today's models are quieter than ever thanks to the latest in Seagate and Hitachi hard disk drive technology, among other things - including our own proprietary internal engineering enhancements.

Has the fan been changed or modified in any way?

I would like to know the answer to that question. The reports of loud fan noise always turned me off from buying one.
diulei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure NewerTech won't be able to grant your wishes; don't they just brand the Ministack under their name using Macpower's M9 from Taiwan?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this why Iomega also also has the same exact product with a different badge?

http://www.macpower.com.tw/products/hdd3/m9/

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/569.html

BTW, some of you are damn picky... though I tend to agree Very Happy
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diulei wrote:
BTW, some of you are damn picky Very Happy

LOL, yes we are....They're all good ideas though. If I had some financial backing I'd love incorporate these ideas into a new external enclosure.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbulava wrote:
diulei wrote:
BTW, some of you are damn picky Very Happy

LOL, yes we are....They're all good ideas though. If I had some financial backing I'd love incorporate these ideas into a new external enclosure.

The other option is to make something yourself from existing parts. Keep an eye out for a mod I'm planning to do with my Belkin slim hub and my 2.5" drive+USB adapter. Wink
rikkileetravolta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Have modifications been made re: Fan Reply with quote

I just wanted to chime in again because it looks as if there is still a question out there regarding the fan. To be clear - YES, the internal engineering modifications that have been made to the miniStack V2 do indeed include alterations directly related to the fan. And, yes, these changes DO contribute to ultra quiet operation. Smile

Now, in addition to these modifications relating to the fan, also aiding in ultra quiet operation is the use of the newest Seagate and Hitachi drive mechanisms in NewerTech's preconfigured storage solutions, themselves operating at ultra quiet decibels compared to other mechanisms on the market. The ultra quiet preconfigured solutions are available up to 750GB. NewerTech also offers an Add Your Own Hard Drive kit, in which case the amplitude of the drive mechanism installed would be at the discretion of the end user. Very Happy

The NewerTech miniStack V2 is manufactured from a proprietary design exclusive to Newer Technology, Inc. They say that imitation is sincerest form of flattery, so it has been noted that some competitors have made efforts to flatter NewerTech by releasing imitation products. Laughing However, the flaw of following in the footsteps of others is always being a step behind - particularly in the world of technology. Two items that looks the same rarely are. I personally would rather own a real Salvador Dali painting than an imitation Very Happy (I know the classic comparisons would be a Picasso or a Monet, but I've always been a fan of Dali...but that's another story Cool )

But - whenever you make a purchase of any kind, the important thing is proper research. That's what I really appreciate about this thread - it shows an effort to understand the product thoroughly and fully comprehend the value received. For instance, NewerTech makes a very concentrated effort to put only the very best drive mechanisms in every miniStack V2 storage solution we manufacture. For this reason we specifically list what drive is used in the online schematics available to prospective buyers. If one was to comparison shop an imitation brand versus the miniStack V2 the first question I would encourage them to ask is what drive mechanism is used in the product. Is that information volunteered? If not, that could be a red flag. If it is provided, what is the reputation of the mechanism being used - is it the top of the line or an inferior brand? The purpose of a storage solution is to keep your data safe - your files, your hard work, your memories. That's an investment you don't necessarily want to trust to anything but the best. Plus - if volume is a concern, then again - the best drive mechanisms out there like the newest Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 and 7200.10 - are proven to have quieter operation. Smile

Thanks again for letting me chime in. ~ Rikki Lee Travolta, NewerTech
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rikkilee, if you don't mind my asking, could you be more specific about the type of changes made to the fan (without giving away any trade secrets). Also, I was curious about the heat sink; is it different from the one in v1 or old v2? Finally, I wondered about the two of these in combination. Is the new mechanism set so that the fan doesn't go on at all unless a certain temperature is reached?
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rikkileetravolta wrote:
snip

The NewerTech miniStack V2 is manufactured from a proprietary design exclusive to Newer Technology, Inc. They say that imitation is sincerest form of flattery, so it has been noted that some competitors have made efforts to flatter NewerTech by releasing imitation products. Laughing However, the flaw of following in the footsteps of others is always being a step behind - particularly in the world of technology. Two items that looks the same rarely are. I personally would rather own a real Salvador Dali painting than an imitation Very Happy (I know the classic comparisons would be a Picasso or a Monet, but I've always been a fan of Dali...but that's another story Cool ) snip

I beg to differ. If one see the insides of the Newer Tech and the MacPower drives, they look exactly as from the same manufacturer. But recently the MacPower came out with SATA drives which technology is more ahead of the NT ATA drives. Moreover, the price difference between buying your own stock Seagate Barracuda ultra quiet drive and a "empty" NT V2 usually beats the prices of the "ready" V2's, especially if one watches the special deals big firms like Fry's and others are offering.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
rikkilee, if you don't mind my asking, could you be more specific about the type of changes made to the fan (without giving away any trade secrets). Also, I was curious about the heat sink; is it different from the one in v1 or old v2? Finally, I wondered about the two of these in combination. Is the new mechanism set so that the fan doesn't go on at all unless a certain temperature is reached?

Good question.

From the article. "An intelligent cooling system initiates an ultra-quiet protective fan only as a precautionary measure, providing the perfect balance between ultimate data security and quiet operation."

I would assume that means the temperature threshold for the fan to turn on has been raised, or that it only comes on as a last resort.
Squid3660

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rikki Lee,

So... what are you saying? Has the V2 been recently modified so the fan no longer creates an annoying buzz, OR are you just peddling the same V2 with the same buzzing fan?

I have read and re-read your statements several times trying to figure out what the new "quieter" operating means exactly.

Would you please provide a timeline as to when any modifactions were made to the V2 to make it "quiet".

I bought a V2 two months ago and would like to know why the V2 I purchased ever made it passed your Quality Control department in the first place? Why Newertech decides it is best to ship off a defective product and expect the customer to wast their time shipping it back to you so you can repair or replace a fan, is beyond my comprehension. I think your company underestimates the Mac community and our expections of quality.

Did you know that the V2 I purchased actually caused ringing in my ears? Yup. Was working on my Mac for a few hours to finish a project and using the V2 as the boot drive for that project. The V2 was being accessed very often, so the fan stayed on the entire time. When I was done with my project, I shut down everything and turned off the V2. The silence was almost deafening, except for the RINGING in my ears from the buzzing of your defective fan in the V2. It took almost an hour for the ringing in my ears to go away.

So, one more time... what is up with this new "quiet" V2? Is it really a new and improved V2 with the noisy fan problem FIXED, or is it just an advertising re-hash of the oringinal V2 with the same old fan, all just in time for the holiday sales rush?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: