123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macessity Intros Duo Hang With Mi
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Macessity Intros Duo Hang With Mi Reply with quote

Macessity Intros Duo Hang With Mi
Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Posted by: Brian

Macessity today introduced the Duo Hang With Mi, a new product that allows users to mount their Mac Mini and a external Mac mini-style hard drive enclosure (such as the NewerTech miniStack V2) together, side-by-side, underneath a desk or shelf. The aluminum colored mount also features an integrated front 4-port self-powered USB 2.0 hub. It measures 13.12" wide x 6.5" deep x 3.4" tall and requires a mounting surface that is at least 0.75" thick. The Duo Hang With Mi will begin shipping the last week of December. Macessity is currently offering the product at an introductory price of $34.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/573.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:07 am; edited 2 times in total
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe its just me but i thought the point of a miniStack was to STACK it..looks better that way, but hell ive been wrong before. what u people do with ur hardware is ur business ill stick to my own haha.
slickrick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an interesting product.
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is a nice idea, but if it is a hub that is hanging with it, what is the purpose of the hub on the unit?

-jb
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like vertical stacking myself. While it is a good space saver. It does look a little funny having a smaller Ministack next to a bigger Mini. Though I do like the USB hub.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
I like vertical stacking myself. While it is a good space saver. It does look a little funny having a smaller Ministack next to a bigger Mini. Though I do like the USB hub.

It looks a little strange, but having the two separated might be for the best. I'm thinking about cooling here. Stacking them and being close to the desk might trap in some extra heat.
iLife's a Bitch!
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

It looks a little strange, but having the two separated might be for the best. I'm thinking about cooling here. Stacking them and being close to the desk might trap in some extra heat.

yeah i know its gotta be cooler....but with fan fan control it shouldnt get too bad. i know what you mean though.
ecking

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't this just block the mini stack's side ports? A few of these stackables had side ports and this just renders them useless.
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes thats a good point. doesnt look like theres room for the side ports....then again not all the mini type drives have side port access either i think its just the ministack if im not mistaken.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a good point, that's a great point. I forgot all about the new miniStacks and LaCie minis having ports on the side. I guess this would only be good for people with the old models.
iLife's a Bitch!
sp468732

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the older ministack and the older mini, so I keep them next to each other. The fan comes on MUCH less (on both units) when they are next to each other instead of on top.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

Yeah I'd rather have two separated. Even if you had two mounts stacked on top of each other. That way you can provide ample space between the units.

I just think it would more "clean", since the companion drives are usually smaller than a Mini. They don't necessarily look perfect sitting side by side.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered why these companies didn't just make the LaCie mini, miniStack or MiniMate as tall as the Mac mini. That extra room would have given the 3 1/2" drives a little more breathing room. And there would be more space between the top of the hard drive itself and the bottom of the Mac mini. With the miniStack your are basically laying you Mac mini on top of the hard drive.
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I always wondered why these companies didn't just make the LaCie mini, miniStack or MiniMate as tall as the Mac mini. That extra room would have given the 3 1/2" drives a little more breathing room. And there would be more space between the top of the hard drive itself and the bottom of the Mac mini. With the miniStack your are basically laying you Mac mini on top of the hard drive.

yeah that'd be a great idea...someone oughtto do that....as well as like someone s aid earlier theministack v3 with tv tuner and multi-card reader slots.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I always wondered why these companies didn't just make the LaCie mini, miniStack or MiniMate as tall as the Mac mini.

Or at the very least, exactly half the height of a Mac mini, using 2.5" drives. That way, two stacked drives+hubs would give the same height as a Mac mini.

I've been thinking about modding my Belkin USB2+FireWire Mac mini hub to include my old 2.5" 80GB drive (the original 4200 RPM drive from my Mac mini). If only I could find out how to open it without breaking it. Confused

Edit: Good news! There's only 3 clips on the left side and 3 clips on the right side. Inside it, a bridge PCB that connects a PCB at the back and a PCB at the front. In the middle, once that bridge PCB is replaced by a cable (only 10 wires), more than enough space for a 2.5" drive with a 2.5" to USB/FireWire adapter. I'll keep you informed.

Last edited by Yvan256 on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: