123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Look: Macpower M9-Mini Pod [Updated]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishKepr wrote:
I agree, but OWC offers their enclosures with and without drives and the latest poop is that they will carry it.

Where'd you hear that scuttlebutt?
FishKepr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
FishKepr wrote:
I agree, but OWC offers their enclosures with and without drives and the latest poop is that they will carry it.

Where'd you hear that scuttlebutt?

On the very first note of this thread.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, yeah, read the beginning forever ago. I probably should've reread it before I posted.
oldskoolboarder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what about the Newer Technology miniStack on OWC? Is that the same thing?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldskoolboarder wrote:
But what about the Newer Technology miniStack on OWC? Is that the same thing?

Yes..here it is folks! It looks like Charles was right about the name change and drives.

Update: OWC is now selling the M9 as the miniStack for $99
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/FWU2MS/

With Drives
NewerTech miniStack 80GB 7200RPM w/2MB Cache Performance FireWire/USB2 Solution w/Integrated USB2 and FireWire Hubs - Designed for Mac mini. 2 Year NewerTech Warranty. (NWTFWU2MS080GB2) $139.99 Same Day
NewerTech miniStack 120GB 7200RPM w/8MB Cache Performance FireWire/USB2 Solution w/Integrated USB2 and FireWire Hubs - Designed for Mac mini. 2 Year NewerTech Warranty. (NWTFWU2MS120GB8) $169.99 Same Day
NewerTech miniStack 160GB 7200RPM w/8MB Cache Performance FireWire/USB2 Solution w/Integrated USB2 and FireWire Hubs - Designed for Mac mini. 2 Year NewerTech Warranty. (NWTFWU2MS160GB8) $179.99 Same Day
NewerTech miniStack 200GB 7200RPM w/8MB Cache Performance FireWire/USB2 Solution w/Integrated USB2 and FireWire Hubs - Designed for Mac mini. 2 Year NewerTech Warranty. (NWTFWU2MS200GB8) $199.99 Same Day
NewerTech miniStack 250GB 7200RPM w/8MB Cache Performance FireWire/USB2 Solution w/Integrated USB2 and FireWire Hubs - Designed for Mac mini. 2 Year NewerTech Warranty. (NWTFWU2MS250GB8) $229.99 Same Day
NewerTech miniStack 300GB 7200RPM w/8MB Cache Performance FireWire/USB2 Solution w/Integrated USB2 and FireWire Hubs - Designed for Mac mini. 2 Year NewerTech Warranty. (NWTFWU2MS300GB8) $289.99 Same Day
NewerTech miniStack 400GB 7200RPM w/8MB Cache Performance FireWire/USB2 Solution w/Integrated USB2 and FireWire Hubs - Designed for Mac mini. 2 Year NewerTech Warranty. (NWTFWU2MS400GB8) $389.99

Brian
123Macmini.com
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to pick me up the $99 one. Mmmm, so sexy...I think that's what I'll use my birfday money for.
oldskoolboarder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the section listing the drives.

I just ordered the enclosure. Not bad, since I have a 250GB HDD on order for $80, w/ rebates. $180 for 250GB isn't too shabby.
dynamic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one question this smart power. how will it work when the mini is on sleep mode?
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can have oldskoolboarder tell us when he get his. Until then, I would assume it'd work like all of the other Fdub drives out there when it goes to sleep. Don't ask me what that is, as mine's USB and doesn't seem to want to let the Mini mount it...uh, Laughing. But, yeah, it's not cheap so I would bet it works correctly.

Edit: 123MacMini made no mention of any issues, so there you go. Though I don't know if they tested its wake up.
Charles
News Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynamic wrote:
one question this smart power. how will it work when the mini is on sleep mode?

Susurrus wrote:
We can have oldskoolboarder tell us when he get his. Until then, I would assume it'd work like all of the other Fdub drives out there when it goes to sleep. Don't ask me what that is, as mine's USB and doesn't seem to want to let the Mini mount it...uh, . But, yeah, it's not cheap so I would bet it works correctly.

Edit: 123MacMini made no mention of any issues, so there you go. Though I don't know if they tested its wake up.

The M9/miniStack's "smart power" feature works flawlessly when the Mac mini goes in and out of Energy Saver mode. It didn't make a difference if I was booting from it or using it as a backup. The drive spins down and power light remains on. There's maybe a 3-5 second gap until the M9/miniStack's drive spins up after the Mac mini comes out of sleep.

Charles
123Macmini.com
ninjamini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK where do I get some really short 4" USB and FW cables??? I dont want no stinkin 15" cables hangin behind my Mini and ministack.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the shortest cables then you might want to look into retractable cables. I think they can be up to 2 feet long, but are only about 4" long when they aren't extended. Take a peek here. You could probably find them cheaper, but hey, I'm at work...

Also, admin, did you add that extra comment to your review of the M9? It'd be nice to have that actually on the review itself, now that we know the facts.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
oldskoolboarder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
We can have oldskoolboarder tell us when he get his. Until then, I would assume it'd work like all of the other Fdub drives out there when it goes to sleep. Don't ask me what that is, as mine's USB and doesn't seem to want to let the Mini mount it...uh, Laughing. But, yeah, it's not cheap so I would bet it works correctly.

No sweat, I'll come back and post my thoughts when I get the drive installed and formatted. I'm a switcher, coming back to Apple from my Mac Plus. So there may be a slight learning curve on the formatting. Debating whether to partition or not.

Good point on the short cables too. This sits in my AV cabinet, so long cables take up space. I'll consider retractables...

ninjamini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A turntable next to a mp3 player. Wow there is a variance. Might be time to loose the records. Get rid of those 8 track too.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turn tables = hip DJ dude

Catch up to the times, dude, turn tables are IN!
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: