123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech miniStack
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Gear Guide
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greentimbers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borealys wrote:
My question is this: What kind of drive CAN you put in the miniStack? Is it IDE or SATA? Or both?

ATA (IDE) only.

Folding on a Intel Mini
Borealys

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile Has anyone had any experience with putting a Maxtor drive in there? Say... 200GB?
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Better be warned when buying at OWC!! Reply with quote

As an international customer OWC was "really happy to help me", when my MiniStack V2 went dead. So I had to send it in from Europe ($ 14,97) had it repaired and they sended the same item repaired back. I better had it done here in Europe as they charged my creditcard with express shipping/insured for an amount of $ 32,08!! My Newer Tech V2 which is only $74,50 recently, did costs me now $ 131,50. I could have bought the same enclosure here in my country for $ 101,81 Worst of all, they did not warn me they will charge me for international shipping, nice firm, hey? Evil or Very Mad
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Better be warned when buying at OWC!! Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
As an international customer OWC was "really happy to help me", when my MiniStack V2 went dead. So I had to send it in from Europe ($ 14,97) had it repaired and they sended the same item repaired back. I better had it done here in Europe as they charged my creditcard with express shipping/insured for an amount of $ 32,08!! My Newer Tech V2 which is only $74,50 recently, did costs me now $ 131,50. I could have bought the same enclosure here in my country for $ 101,81 Worst of all, they did not warn me they will charge me for international shipping, nice firm, hey? Evil or Very Mad

that is shitty, luckily i live less than an hr from owc...i'll just go there and pick it up when i order mine.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As non American one often feels 2nd rate citizen anyway, if one sees how many websites state: only shipping to Northern America/Alaska/Hawaii or "only applies to US citizens" I'm married to an American for crying out loud! Europe is just as big as USA as a market but everything is so much more expensive here and certainly not only because of our local taxes. Why are Amerian wines cheaper here than in the US? Why not electronics?
kbulava
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cause were all pigheaded assholes and money hungry bastards...me included
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbulava wrote:
cause were all pigheaded assholes and money hungry bastards...me included

Laughing I love my American wife and her family anyway! I'm sometimes pretty frustrated about the price-differences, you might understand that!
minions

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Strange Question: Can the miniStack work without the fan? Reply with quote

I have been using the miniStack V2 with a 320G Seagate drive for more than a year. Everything is dandy!

The problem is this, I live in a 35 m^2 apartment, with my girlfriend. The mini+all my accesorries are off course in the same room as everything else, i.e the bed. At night, the sound of the fan from the miniStack has been bothering us more and more. The mini as you know is extraordinarily quiet. The miniStack is not! The fan gets really loud at nights.

I have many other FW drives daisy-chained to the mSV2. It also serves the USb drives. So I cannot lose the hub. But I could just use one of my many fanless fw drives for making up the loss of the drive. So my question is 2 fold :

1. Can I use the mStackV2 with the Drive by somehow disable the fan? -- and yes my mini is perched above the stack.
2. If that is a bad idea... could I take out the drive and then disable the fan, and use it simply as a hub?

If yes to any one of the others,

How do I disable the fan?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just turn it off?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
BigJim

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just seems sad and pathetic to me that so many of these kits are from 5 years ago, not sold anymore, or only support IDE or FireWire. Even Apple is abandoning the sinking FireWire ship. What I want is just a shell for a 3.5" HDD, with SATA-2 on the inside and USB 2 on the outside. Is that too much to ask? Apparently yes. Most of the units don't even say if they're SATA inside, or what brand of OEM HDD. Seems like all Apple and its third parties have to offer is IDE, over FireWire. Maybe they should load it with ALAC (another failed apple grab for a proprietary standard that just causes more misery) and go for the trifecta... Anyway sorry to be so cranky, would love to hear about any SATA inside, USB outside, same footprint, empty shell...

OK looks like there is one that is suitable http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/FWU2MSVS2/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Gear Guide All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: