123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

would appreciate some assistance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dynamic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: would appreciate some assistance Reply with quote

im seriously thinking about getting a mini and rather the smaller model because ive heard that cpu difference might no be worth it and ill def. get an external hd.

I mainly just use the net, listen to songs and watch videos and the occasional use of programs and would probably need to use vpc though not a particularly large program in there. Also one of the things im going to do is convert old vhs tapes and scan in old family photos.

so what ram upgrade should i be looking at?

Ill def need a hub and therefore i liked the idea of the minimate. theres also the minipartner, M9-DX, minipartner and that belkin fw and usb hub (then i could use some random portable hd). From the reviews here i read that the minimate made an unpleasing noize and vibrated but that that might also be the hd itself which you could replace. What sort of action with regards to hubs and external hd´s would you recommend me looking at?

thanks in advance
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for RAM, I guess PQI has mixed reviews. Definitely go with 1gig if you're going to upgrade the RAM at all, especially if you don't upgrade the internal hard drive. As for hubs, you're right about the Minimate; it can be loud, but if you replace the hard drive you should be good. What's the point of buying one of those expensive ones with a hard drive if you're going to replace it anyways, though? I would recommend the M9-DX even though it is off a bit in color and isn't actually sold by anyone inside the country yet. Hopefully that will change as I guess there is talk about OWC carrying them, possibly without a hard drive. Buying one without a hard drive and watching for good hard drive deals (I got my 160gb at $40) would probably be the best thing to do. The problem with this idea is you have to wait for OWC to carry it.
dynamic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's the point of buying one of those expensive ones with a hard drive if you're going to replace it anyways, though?

good point. Though you could use the extra hd in a 2nd external drive. I checked it out and it seemed that buying a 80gb minimate and then replacing the drive with a 250gb would end up costing roughly the same as a 250gb minimate

btw a pc formatted external hard drive can you use them with a mac?

Is that belkin hub available?

Ive also read that the M9-DX is not available anywhere yet and maybe the option of an empty case might not be offered

Last edited by dynamic on Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Belkin hub isn't available yet. I think it comes out later this month or in August. You mean the little white one right?
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A NTFS or FAT32 formatted drive is read/writable by a Mac. For info on the M9-*X I'll refer you to this thread.
DoFa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dynamic"]
Quote:

Ive also read that the M9-DX is not available anywhere yet and maybe the option of an empty case might not be offered

It's available now. $99 for one sans hard drive at macsales.com!
dynamic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DoFa"]
dynamic wrote:
Quote:

It's available now. $99 for one sans hard drive at macsales.com!

quite strange. The same day i ask about it its released on the market.

now it looks like 1 gig ram, the m9-dx, hard drive of my choice and dac 100.

thanks for the answers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: