123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iomega Increases the Capacity of MiniMax Drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Iomega Increases the Capacity of MiniMax Drive Reply with quote

Iomega Increases the Capacity of MiniMax Drive
Tuesday, December 5, 2006
Posted by: Glenn

Iomega today announced that it has enhanced its external storage solution for the Mac mini by doubling the capacity of the Iomega MiniMax Desktop Hard Drive from 250GB to 500GB. The new model keeps the same features that endeared Mac mini users to the original MiniMax Drive, including a three-port USB 2.0 hub, three FireWire ports, a smart power switch that powers up and down in tandem with the Mac mini, and an interactive cooling system with thermal probe that automatically regulates fan speed.

"Iomega's MiniMax Drive is a fun, useful addition to the Mac mini that instantly improves data security along with data storage capacity," said Peter Wharton, vice president of marketing, Iomega Corporation. "The 500GB MiniMax complements the great features of the Mac Mini and creates a versatile platform that can organize and protect any user's digital movies, photography and music. And that's what Mac users really want - more capacity, more security, ease-of-use and a visually attractive product. The new 500GB MiniMax delivers on all of those user preferences."

The Iomega MiniMax measures 6.5 inches square and 2 inches tall. It has the same footprint and matches the industrial design of the Mac mini. Its 7200 RPM hard drive with 8MB cache adds 500GB of storage to the Mac mini's internal 60GB or 80GB native capacity. And with Dantz Retrospect backup software included, Mac mini users get backup and data recovery to secure their files, photos, songs, and other data. A single 500GB MiniMax can save up to 2,000,000 photos, 9,250 hours of music, or 750 hours of video.

The 500GB Iomega MiniMax has a suggested retail price of US$279.95. The product will also be available in Europe

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/569.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:05 am; edited 4 times in total
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSSWWWWWEEEEETTTTT!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Mb cache??? That can't be right.

Tech Specs
Technical Information

Three FireWire ports and a three-port USB integrated hub
Interactive cooling system with thermal probe automatically regulates fan speed
Compatible with PC and Mac®
FireWire 400 (1394a)/USB 1.1/USB 2.0 compatible
Transfer rates of 480 Mbits/s when connected to a USB 2.0 controller; 400 Mbits when connected to a FireWire400 controller
Rotational speed of 7200 RPM
Memory cache of 2MB
Includes EMC® Retrospect® Disaster Recovery software
One-year limited warranty
boatj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm . . . a MiniStack in sheep's clothing Wink
XianPalin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been contemplating buying a Ministack for a bit now and looked into the Iomega product after this announcement.

The 250gb Iomega version is $179 where you can get 320gb of Ministack for that price. Iomega is $279 for 500gb, Ministack is $259

Also, the Ministack has a two year warranty + additional 3 year warranty on the drive when that expires (on the bigger drives because they are Seagates with 5 year warranty). Iomega has a 1 year warranty.

I'm definitely picking a Ministack.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:

Tech Specs
Technical Information

Transfer rates of 480 Mbits/s when connected to a USB 2.0 controller; 400 Mbits when connected to a FireWire400 controller
Memory cache of 2MB

It can be.... I have 2 Fantom Drives (250GB ea) and they only have 2mb Cache...to be honest I don't see much difference in trasfer times between those and a Maxtor 300GB with 16MB cache....what's the deal!?!?!?! Does it REALLY matter...if so, how?

-Hackersmovie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
TonyMontana wrote:

Tech Specs
Technical Information

Memory cache of 2MB

It can be.... I have 2 Fantom Drives (250GB ea) and they only have 2mb Cache...to be honest I don't see much difference in trasfer times between those and a Maxtor 300GB with 16MB cache....what's the deal!?!?!?! Does it REALLY matter...if so, how?

-Hackersmovie

It probably doesn't matter, I just hadn't seen drives lately with those specs.
I searched the wiki and the whole cache explanation went right over my head.
I'm with XianPalin... I think the ministacks are a better deal with the warranty being the kicker.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed!

-Hackesmovie
fuji257

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the ministack doesn't have a logo on the front.

The iomega drive has an iomega logo; which is an eye-sore. It'll make it look as though your whole system is an iomega. Even Apple didn't stick a big fugly logo on the front.

I purchased my last iomega product years ago when they refused to give me an upgrade on their CD-Burning software on a drive that was just purchased. They said it was a discontinued drive (Zip 650) and that it wasn't their fault that retail channels weren't "yet purged" of "old products". The same drive (albeit newer revision) was still available on their website; but they wanted me to pay them for a newer version of the software. I've never bought an iomega product since and I probably never will.
diulei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll probably take a LOT for me to ever give Iomega any amount of my money again.

Since my Zip drives failed in the late 90s, I've never forgiven them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: