123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matrox DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go compatible with Macs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Matrox DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go compatible with Macs Reply with quote

Matrox DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go compatible with Macs
Wednesday, November 29, 2006
Posted by: Brian

Back in February, we reported about Aniel using the Matrox DualHead2Go with his Mac mini. This basically gave him the ability to run dual displays. Well, Matrox announced today that its DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go peripherals are now officially compatible with select Mac systems. The DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go are palm-sized boxes that connect externally to a notebook or desktop computer and uniquely allow users to attach two or three monitors respectively for a multi-monitor configuration.

DualHead2Go enables a fully symmetric dual-monitor setup for Mac notebooks or desktops, creating the workspace for managing multiple projects or office applications simultaneously. If a larger desktop space is required, the TripleHead2Go can be used to work with a triple-monitor setup.

"Matrox GXM technology will revolutionize the Mac platform with its unprecedented portability and ease-of-use," says Caroline Injoyan, business development manager, Matrox Graphics Inc. "Now Mac users can finally benefit from Matrox's multi-monitor expertise, traditionally reserved for PC environments, by simply incorporating a GXM into their system setup."

Graphics eXpansion Modules (GXM) are external devices that are simple to setup-there is no need to open up the computer to insert parts or to replace any hardware or software. The operating system detects the DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go like an ultra-widescreen monitor that supports resolutions of up to 2560x1024 and 3840x1024 respectively. The GXM technology then splits this ultra-wide resolution into two or three standard resolutions and sends the information to the attached monitors. The GXM maximizes the capabilities of the Mac by using its existing graphics hardware and software for all 2D, 3D, and video acceleration.

The Mac mini is only compatible with the DualHead2Go. A complete list of compatible systems is posted on the Matrox website and maximum resolutions supported may vary depending on the system model or GPU.

The Matrox DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go are now shipping at list prices of $169 and $299, respectively.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/566.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:16 pm; edited 4 times in total
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news. Looks like the TripleHead2Go is not Mac Mini compatible though.

Too bad they're VGA. I'd love it if they had a DVI option.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
Too bad they're VGA. I'd love it if they had a DVI option.

That's a shame. Otherwise, this is a decent option for someone with two 1280x1024 displays. Sad
AL-IS-A-LEDGE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it compatibale with the G4 Mini
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AL-IS-A-LEDGE wrote:

That's a good question. On one page it says the ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 is supported, but there is no breakdown between Intel and PPC Macs.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/support/dh2go/compatibility.php

ClunkClunk wrote:
Too bad they're VGA. I'd love it if they had a DVI option

Don't you just hate those DVI to VGA adapters! Mad When are these companies going to realize that DVI is the preferred interface?
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:
AL-IS-A-LEDGE wrote:

That's a good question. On one page it says the ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 is supported, but there is no breakdown between Intel and PPC Macs.

Well, the Mac mini G4 uses the Radeon 9200 and the Mac mini Core Solo/Duo uses the Intel GMA 950. So the question is, does it work with the Intel Mac mini?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Well, the Mac mini G4 uses the Radeon 9200 and the Mac mini Core Solo/Duo uses the Intel GMA 950. So the question is, does it work with the Intel Mac mini?

You would think if the MacBook is a go, the Intel Mac mini is too. They both use the Intel GMA 950. I have no idea about the G4 Mac minis. Confused
iLife's a Bitch!
hal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: I wont use it Reply with quote

Hi,

I also thought of using the device some months ago. But it didnt like the low resolution of the 2 monitors.

Im usings instead this:
http://www.usb2vga.de/Artikeluebersicht/USB-20-zu-SVGA-Adapter-bis-1024x768-XGA::29.html

There was also an usb2vga device supporting 1280x1024 a month ago.

So Im using the main monitor with 1600x1200 and the second with 1280 x 1024. The second is a little slow but just enough for photoshop pallets etc.

The only pitty: There are no max os x drivers.

greets
hal
sross

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I wont use it Reply with quote

hal wrote:
Hi,

I also thought of using the device some months ago. But it didnt like the low resolution of the 2 monitors.

Im usings instead this:
http://www.usb2vga.de/Artikeluebersicht/USB-20-zu-SVGA-Adapter-bis-1024x768-XGA::29.html

There was also an usb2vga device supporting 1280x1024 a month ago.

So Im using the main monitor with 1600x1200 and the second with 1280 x 1024. The second is a little slow but just enough for photoshop pallets etc.

The only pitty: There are no max os x drivers.

greets
hal

Ok, now I'm interested. So this thing works on your mac eventhough it says XP? And when you say 'slow' can you describe this in more detail? For example is everything on the 2nd screen laggy? Is it fine for having a web page on the 2nd screen? how did you config it to work with your mac?
hal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Didnt I say there are no mac mini drivers around?

Of course it wouldnt fit your power pc based mac mini but Im running mine intel based with xp - everything else would be stupid when you need running adobes creative suite.

The speed of the device is sufficient: you cant play (3d) games but you can watch videos. but the mouse pointer seems a little bit less responsive. Eg if you are moving windows fast around its a noticeable difference between main display and the second usb one.

but as said. im using the second screen for photoshop, indesign, ... palettes and my Mail-Client and so on.

So it fits my needs perfectly.

bye
hal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: