123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Security Update 2006-007
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imfullofit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the update on my wife's G4 ibook my intell mac book and my G4 1.42 mini. I had no problems.

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
I guess that is fine for the few thousand or so users who are still using that version.

You have no clue how many people use hardware for 10+ years. A lot of them are non profits, companies and people that are in countries or situations where $1000 is a whole lot of money. The funny part is that I have seen these types of people really using their computers for amazing stuff while the most current hardware often sits on some guys desk and looks pretty or even worse sits in a closet.

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
But especially with the new transition to Intel, you do have to cut some legacy stuff out eventually. I would rather have Apple focus on supporting current versions than 3 year old versions. Also I would rather have them focus on developing on things to come.

Doing security updates is not going to break Apple. The open source world does it for free.

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Apple is not as a big of a company as MS. Also Apple is into hardware as well. They can't always support old versions, they should vastly improve upon what they have to spur sales. I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing.

I think of it as great cheap advertising. You go to someones house, business or some school or non profit and see a 10+ year old mac still chugging along and doing a great job. This inspires confidence in the hardware and the company. If you push people into a situation where they have to upgrade every 3 years many will go get emachines and Apple will get no money. No one likes to be forced to upgrade. Most will do it anyway because they want the exciting new features. Why screw people who cant afford it?

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
It also brings down to the question of the future. In 4-5 years, we probably will see support dropped for the G4. Hell that can be even sooner than that.

In all honesty, I don't think it is that big of an issue to make a fuse over. I doubt there are THAT many people using 10.2. I'm sure if they do, they really don't care about updates and are fine with what they have (otherwise they would have upgraded!).

I think that if you spend a lot of your time on technology forums you get a warped perspective because the people in these kinds of places upgrade really often and don't represent typical people. Most people want an appliance that will work for 5-10 years. I think Apple can do this cheaply and would gain market share by doing it.

One of the reasons I switched to a mini and laptops in my house is that the mini uses 50 wats or less of power. I don't know what the power consumption for the laptops are but they are also low. I care about resources and how they are used and it upsets me to see them wasted. I think a lot of Apples customer base also care about this and believe that they could improve this and have a lot of success with sales. Its fine to have those funny Mac guy and PC guy ads but you also need to take care of your existing loyal customer base.

www.julianvandercook.com
ArsenicPants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imfullofit wrote:
Most people want an appliance that will work for 5-10 years. I think Apple can do this cheaply and would gain market share by doing it.

i've always thought of a mac as more of an appliance than a regular computer

btw, i haven't updated with that EFI firmware update yet, because some people experienced problems
should i do them both now that a new update is out?
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imfullofit wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
I guess that is fine for the few thousand or so users who are still using that version.

You have no clue how many people use hardware for 10+ years.
No. I do have a clue. You are making an assumption. I know a few people that run OS 8 on old Macs. But most of the people I know that have had 10.2, all upgraded to 10.3. So this is more from a personal experience.
imfullofit wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
But especially with the new transition to Intel, you do have to cut some legacy stuff out eventually. I would rather have Apple focus on supporting current versions than 3 year old versions. Also I would rather have them focus on developing on things to come.

Doing security updates is not going to break Apple. The open source world does it for free.
I never said it was going to break Apple. Just that I would rather have them focus on more current and future versions of software. After all, one more hand is one more hand of help.
imfullofit wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Apple is not as a big of a company as MS. Also Apple is into hardware as well. They can't always support old versions, they should vastly improve upon what they have to spur sales. I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing.

I think of it as great cheap advertising. You go to someones house, business or some school or non profit and see a 10+ year old mac still chugging along and doing a great job. This inspires confidence in the hardware and the company. If you push people into a situation where they have to upgrade every 3 years many will go get emachines and Apple will get no money. No one likes to be forced to upgrade. Most will do it anyway because they want the exciting new features. Why screw people who cant afford it?
Yes it is good advertising. But again, I'd rather have them focus on improving upon what they have, currently and in the future. You can't always hold the hand of someone who wants to stick with a 15 year old computer.

There is another whole discussion about people who can't afford this and that. If there is a will, there is a way. I know plenty of people who can barely afford food, but still have the latest PlayStation console.

Sure it would help to continue to support by security updates. I didn't mean it as, stop with 10.4 updates when 10.5 comes out.
imfullofit wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
It also brings down to the question of the future. In 4-5 years, we probably will see support dropped for the G4. Hell that can be even sooner than that.

In all honesty, I don't think it is that big of an issue to make a fuse over. I doubt there are THAT many people using 10.2. I'm sure if they do, they really don't care about updates and are fine with what they have (otherwise they would have upgraded!).

I think that if you spend a lot of your time on technology forums you get a warped perspective because the people in these kinds of places upgrade really often and don't represent typical people. Most people want an appliance that will work for 5-10 years. I think Apple can do this cheaply and would gain market share by doing it.
Again, you are making assumptions. I, myself, want something that will last a very long time. After all I do still have my G4 Mac Mini and still haven't upgraded to an Intel unit. I have several other Macs, but the Mini is my main "personal computer". Of course many people on here tend to upgrade a lot. But you are still making assumption that my perspective may be warped.

I do think it is good to make something that will last a very long time. But at the same time, you have to be a business. You have to constantly keep on improving upon what you have so you can sell the next computer. After all, it is those sales which funds updates.
imfullofit wrote:
One of the reasons I switched to a mini and laptops in my house is that the mini uses 50 wats or less of power. I don't know what the power consumption for the laptops are but they are also low. I care about resources and how they are used and it upsets me to see them wasted. I think a lot of Apples customer base also care about this and believe that they could improve this and have a lot of success with sales. Its fine to have those funny Mac guy and PC guy ads but you also need to take care of your existing loyal customer base.
Again, you need to maintain sales to fund those updates for the existing customers. If Apple were to suddenly stop selling computers or any products for that matter, would they honestly keep on supporting the users for free?
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've installed this update and yes the loading screeen took a very long time. i also feel like i've been getting a lot of unexpected errors, in firefox and vlc..might be time to tune up the system i hope it wasnt the update
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: