123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Security Update 2006-007
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Apple Releases Security Update 2006-007 Reply with quote

Apple Releases Security Update 2006-007
Tuesday, November 28, 2006
Posted by: Glenn

Apple has released Security Update 2006-007 via Mac OS X's Software Update utility and on the Web. According to the company, Security Update 2006-007 is recommended for all users and improves the security of the following components: AirPort, ATS, CFNetwork, Finder, Font Book, Font Importer, Installer, OpenSSL, PHP, PPP, Samba, Security Framework, VPN, WebKit, gnuzip, and perl.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/565.html
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After restart, it was stuck at the grey loading screen for 100 seconds Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
After restart, it was stuck at the grey loading screen for 100 seconds Rolling Eyes

It only took mine 30 seconds. Cool
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good here here. I didn't time the restart, but it seemed a little slow. I was busy chowing down on some Ramen noodles. Laughing
gdog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any issues or slow downs after update? Twisted Evil
macbook 2 ghz, 2 gig ram
i got 99 problems but a bitch aint one
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdog wrote:

I haven't restarted again, but everything appears to be ok.
fuji257

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed a lot of these updates are for 10.3.9 and 10.4.x

Does Apple not even bother updating 10.2.x???

Installed on 1.6ghz MM and 1.42ghz eMac and no problems on either. But the eMac booted a tad slower than normal after the first reboot, but seems back up to speed now.

The Intel update was 2x the size of the PPC update.
ranger1021

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
gdog wrote:

I haven't restarted again, but everything appears to be ok.

Same here
devo wrote:
I was busy chowing down on some Ramen noodles. Laughing

Ahh. I could go for some of those right now Wink mmmmmmmmm.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuji257 wrote:
Nope. After all, 10.2 was last updated more than three years ago. I think with 10.5 coming out, they will stop support for 10.3. It's kind of remarkable they are still updating (even just the security) 10.3 even after 18-19 months since the last release. Of course it would be obvious to leave support for 10.4. This keeps from Apple having to spread focus over a variety of versions. But also since 10.4 marks the beginning of the Intel transition. In a matter of time (not knowing how long) their updates will start to focus on Intel only.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I restarted and it took around 30 seconds.

ranger1021 wrote:
Ahh. I could go for some of those right now mmmmmmmmm.

Quick and filling!
fuji257

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
fuji257 wrote:
Nope. After all, 10.2 was last updated more than three years ago. I think with 10.5 coming out, they will stop support for 10.3. It's kind of remarkable they are still updating (even just the security) 10.3 even after 18-19 months since the last release. Of course it would be obvious to leave support for 10.4. This keeps from Apple having to spread focus over a variety of versions. But also since 10.4 marks the beginning of the Intel transition. In a matter of time (not knowing how long) their updates will start to focus on Intel only.

Actually the last 10.2.8 security update was Jan 05.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/securityupdate2005001macosx1028client.html

10.2 was released 9/02 with it's last update being in 1/05.

That's actually pretty crappy if you think about it. I would expect security updates for at least 5 years. Hell, even MS is providing critical updates for Win2k until 2010.

Worse case scenario they could/should just take the latest 10.3 build with all security fixes applied and strip out features not in Jaguar and wha-la - 10.2.9. They should also strongly be considering releasing some free OS version like they did with 7.5. I'd like to see 8, 9, and possible 10.2 (the first really usable X) released for free download. This wouldn't hurt sales of new version at all considering the machines people would install these on can't even run anything newer; and it would make up for the fast upgrade cycle and crappy no-update-after-barely-over-two-years thing.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuji257 wrote:
Actually, I meant the last major 10.2.x update, not the security update. My fault for not clarifying.
fuji257 wrote:
Yeah, that is still almost two years ago. But the last major 10.2.x update was before that.
fuji257 wrote:
That's actually pretty crappy if you think about it. I would expect security updates for at least 5 years. Hell, even MS is providing critical updates for Win2k until 2010.
But MS HAS to provide those. It has too many customers that still use that. I wouldn't say there is a majority of people still using OS X 10.2.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
fuji257 wrote:
Actually, I meant the last major 10.2.x update, not the security update. My fault for not clarifying.
fuji257 wrote:
Yeah, that is still almost two years ago. But the last major 10.2.x update was before that.
fuji257 wrote:
But MS HAS to provide those. It has too many customers that still use that. I wouldn't say there is a majority of people still using OS X 10.2.

I see it this way. OS X 10.3 was released on 11/03.

So if you purchased a brand new mac late in 2003 with 10.2; you got your last update less than 1.5 years later. That's pretty crappy Apple should expect you to shell out another bill to keep using a secure OS so soon. That's just not enough support. They should provide critical/security updates for the OS for at least 5 years after the last machine with the said OS ships; IMO. Hell, 4 years would be OK - they didn't even hit that half way.

Not trying to argue or anything - I just think their speed in dumping support for their products is going to land them with a class action. That's down right unprofessional support. If you find that acceptable that's OK; I just respectfully disagree. At least you can purchase OS X for around bill where as MS's run closer to two.

To make it worse; anyone who paid money for 10 or 10.1 was ripped off to begin with (of course 10.1 was a free upgrade - 10.2 should've been too) but that's another debate . . .
Jeffy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been through many of these security upgrades, but there seems to be more stuff in this one compared to some of the others. I can't speak for the Mac mini (buying one this spring for HTPC), but it went smoothly with my MBP. The restart was just a little longer than normal.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that is fine for the few thousand or so users who are still using that version. I understand what you are getting at. But especially with the new transition to Intel, you do have to cut some legacy stuff out eventually. I would rather have Apple focus on supporting current versions than 3 year old versions. Also I would rather have them focus on developing on things to come. Apple is not as a big of a company as MS. Also Apple is into hardware as well. They can't always support old versions, they should vastly improve upon what they have to spur sales. I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing. If you have 10.2, spend the $30-40 or so on 10.3. 10.3 has a pretty easy requirement set.

It also brings down to the question of the future. In 4-5 years, we probably will see support dropped for the G4. Hell that can be even sooner than that.

In all honesty, I don't think it is that big of an issue to make a fuse over. I doubt there are THAT many people using 10.2. I'm sure if they do, they really don't care about updates and are fine with what they have (otherwise they would have upgraded!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: