123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving Files to an iMac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merlyn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Moving Files to an iMac Reply with quote

I have found an iMac G5 w/20" screen for about $600. It is in virtually "new" condition.

I know that the monitor I now use, 19" is measured diagonally, how is the 20" widescreeen monitor measured?

Then, when (and if) I get the iMac, what's the fastest and safest way fo move files? SuperDuper? That one I have.

I really wanted to get the Core 2 Duo iMac, but for $600, the G5 looks awfully good.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 20" iMac G5 for $600 is a really good deal. All monitors are measured diagonally, including the 20" on that iMac. If you have an existing Mac and you want to clone its drive, probably the easiest way would be to boot it up with your new iMac set on Firewire target mode so that its drive shows up on the old Mac's desktop, and then use SuperDuper (or Carbon Copy Cloner) to clone your existing drive to the new one. If you already have a system on the iMac that you prefer to the one on your existing Mac, you could use Apple's Migration Assistant to copy over files and settings from the old to the new. Alternatively, Carbon Copy Cloner can do that, but I think that SuperDuper is limited to cloning the entire drive.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving Files to an iMac Reply with quote

Great deal, where did you find it from?
Merlyn wrote:
I know that the monitor I now use, 19" is measured diagonally, how is the 20" widescreeen monitor measured?
All monitors/displays are measured diagonally.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Socom said, all monitors are measured diagonally.

However, with that said, there are some caveats.

LCDs are measured from viewable corner to viewable corner, while CRT displays are measured via their glass size. "Viewable area" is the key feature of a CRT display, not the actual screen size.

Widescreen displays are generally 16:9 or 16:10, while standard ratio screens are 4:3 (width to height).

So, depending on what your current 19" is, a CRT or an LCD, and standard 4:3, or widescreen 16:9 or 16:10, the 20" may be just slightly larger, or very different.
Merlyn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful replies. I had thought that the aspect ratio of the screen was different with a "widescreen."

I didn't get the iMac -- it was on eBay-- and someone "sniped" me at the end and got it for $800.

Well, my mini will do until I can get the new 24" iMac.

Thanks again for the replies. I think I can move the files when I get the new machine.

(C'mon Santa!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: