123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internet Access Sluggish or Non-existent
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwebb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Internet Access Sluggish or Non-existent Reply with quote

I looked through the listings and did find information as to why Safari may be slow. The fixes suggested didn't help. I can't even do an O/S upgrade.
Got a (-1001) network timeout error. In Safari, about 50% of a page loads then it hangs. Amazon seems to work the best, but not completely.
One week old Mac Mini, 1.25GHz, 1G memory, Mac OS X 10.4, hard wired Ethernet, connected to a Linksys router that has supported my PC network for years with no problems. DHCP assigned IP address, default gateway and subnet mask appear correct. Any suggestions?
slickrick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, maybe 10.4.2 will be the fix. Safari is hanging like MoFo ever since I upgraded to Tiger. Most of the pages it hangs on have an RSS feed come up in the address bar. Amazon is always fast for me. Until then I'm using Firefox. That ain't a bad thing either! Very Happy

Try reseting Safari and clearing your cache for a temporary fix.
powermini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slickrick wrote:
I don't know, maybe 10.4.2 will be the fix. Safari is hanging like MoFo ever since I upgraded to Tiger.

Did you try repairing file permissions? I had similar problems with Safari (crashing a lot of times), but after doing that it's been fine.
bwebb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repaired file permissions, cleared the cache but no difference. I don't think this is Safari specific since I can't upgrade the OS over the net either. Any other thoughts that haven't already been posted elsewhere?
darrenb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Might want to try reformatting Reply with quote

Maybe you could try reformatting and reinstalling Tiger?
SStreet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting topic, but I disagree that the way Tiger was installed or upgraded as being any problem.

Why? I recieved my Mini about a month ago now. It can pre-installed with 10.3.7, updated to 10.3.9. I test drove it for about 24 hours (straight! Smile ). I opened it up and upgraded the memory from 256M to 512M. Booted up for about a hour testing out the system. Then upgraded (no format, real upgrade) I wanted to give Office X a workout before I did finally buy it (Note: I did buy Office).

To this day, I have not shutdown or rebooted except to install 10.4.1 updates and recently the iPod updater [shouldn't that be a system service that can be recycled and not reboot my computer? anyway... another topic] I never had Safari hang or crash or even render anything much different then FireFox or (gasp) IE.

Perhaps the problem lies more in the IP network you're connected. I have my own 100Base-T switch, several Linux servers; one of which is my DNS cache and DHCP server, another runs a custom firewall which is finally connected to a router which is a Linksys WRT54GS. I admit though, my internal network is all wired -- I am a security freak! I didn't want a wireless break-in put MY data at risk. Anyway I digress...

What is your network topology and does a particular website have an issue more others?

[Edit] And who is your Internet Provider and what is it? DSL, Cable, FIOS?

Mac Mini 1.42GHz, 1G, 80G/4200RPM
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Might want to try reformatting Reply with quote

darrenb wrote:
Maybe you could try reformatting and reinstalling Tiger?

Tiger is buggy! A clean install may be the best fix even though it seems a little drastic. I'd wait for 10.4.2 before doing anything at this point.
iLife's a Bitch!
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SStreet wrote:
To this day, I have not shutdown or rebooted except to install 10.4.1 updates and recently the iPod updater [shouldn't that be a system service that can be recycled and not reboot my computer? anyway... another topic] I never had Safari hang or crash or even render anything much different then FireFox or (gasp) IE.

Me either. I keep seeing comments about 10.4.1 being "buggy" but its been a smooth ride for me. Am I just lucky? Not one crash. Not one out-to-lunch process. And this machine gets USED. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope my good fortune continues.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg - Did you do a clean install/upgrade or did your mini come with Tiger?
iLife's a Bitch!
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Greg - Did you do a clean install/upgrade or did your mini come with Tiger?

It came in the box. I did the upgrade immediately after setting the mini up.
Dell 1905FP
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Internet Access Sluggish or Non-existent Reply with quote

bwebb wrote:
I looked through the listings and did find information as to why Safari may be slow. The fixes suggested didn't help. I can't even do an O/S upgrade.
Got a (-1001) network timeout error. In Safari, about 50% of a page loads then it hangs. Amazon seems to work the best, but not completely.
One week old Mac Mini, 1.25GHz, 1G memory, Mac OS X 10.4, hard wired Ethernet, connected to a Linksys router that has supported my PC network for years with no problems. DHCP assigned IP address, default gateway and subnet mask appear correct. Any suggestions?

I wonder if you may have a DNS issue. Have you checked your DNS settings? Have you tried inserting a fixed DNS address in your Network Settings to see if that makes a difference? Also, have you run the Network Assistant Diagnostics from the Network Settings to see if that uncovers anything?
Dell 1905FP
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Internet Access Sluggish or Non-existent Reply with quote

[quote="greg"]
bwebb wrote:

I wonder if you may have a DNS issue. Have you checked your DNS settings? Have you tried inserting a fixed DNS address in your Network Settings to see if that makes a difference? Also, have you run the Network Assistant Diagnostics from the Network Settings to see if that uncovers anything?

Good tip! If you're set to DHCP you may want manually set in your Name Servers.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
bwebb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac Mini and 3 PCs attached to Linksys Router, it's attached to a cable modem issued by Adelphia. The PCs have worked for years. I did add the DNS IP addresses used by the ISP with no difference. Network Assistant Diagnostics are clean. Ping of external IPs works. Partial page download into Safari 99% of the time. Amazon appears the most reliable but it doesn't completely download either. I attempted to ftp to a site and it connects, but I never get a login prompt. Anyone have other sites I can attempt to connect with via ftp, telnet, ssh... ? All DHCP settings appear normal. IP address, subnet mask, default gateway all correct. I'm doing hardware tests now by changing cables, router port, connecting directly to the cable modem. Any other suggestions? I really like this little guy, but this is a bummer.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried disabling ipv6? I've heard that this has caused issues for some mac users.
Dell 1905FP
bwebb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IPv6 is disabled. What I did find out is if I plug the Mac Mini directly to my cable modem, all is fine. So it has something to do with traversing the Linksys Cable/DSL router. Model is BEFSR41 with latest firmware. Anyone know of settings on the Mac or the router necessary to get full usage? Partial page downloads still occur. I even upgraded to OS X 10.4.1 while connected to the cable modem. Still not working as it should.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: