123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Superdrive DVD write speeds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Superdrive DVD write speeds Reply with quote

I have a superdrive (Matshita UJ-835F) and I just purchased some new media (Fuji 8x DVD-R) because my old 4x media was only showing up as 2x capable. Well, it turns out that the Fuji media is only showing up as 2x capable as well...

So, has anyone actually burned a DVD-R or DVD+R at 4x or greater?

Toast actually shows that the DVD-R speed will go up to 16x, but this may just be a Toast issue. Disk Utility only shows the burn speed as 2x for both of my media.

I have read here [ http://xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/mac_mini_owner_reports.html ] that Imation 8x DVD+R and DVD-R media will write at 4x but I have not confirmed this.

Brian
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's and real interesting link.
iLife's a Bitch!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Superdrive DVD write speeds Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
Disk Utility only shows the burn speed as 2x for both of my media.
Well, that's a bit distressing. It will be interesting to see if everyone is getting the same result...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bubba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Superdrive DVD write speeds Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
bubba wrote:
Disk Utility only shows the burn speed as 2x for both of my media.
Well, that's a bit distressing. It will be interesting to see if everyone is getting the same result...

Yeah, sorta makes me wish I had opted for the combo drive and just purchased a regular drive and an enclosure so I could use it on my other machines.

Oh well, live and learn.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Superdrive DVD write speeds Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
Yeah, sorta makes me wish I had opted for the combo drive and just purchased a regular drive and an enclosure so I could use it on my other machines.

Same thinking here. In fact, my system hasn't shipped yet, so if everyone else is getting the same result, I may drop the superdrive in favor of the combo.

Heck, maybe if I drop the superdrive and the extra ram in the 1.42GB mini I ordered, I could possibly receive the equipment sooner??
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Superdrive DVD write speeds Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
Heck, maybe if I drop the superdrive and the extra ram in the 1.42GB mini I ordered, I could possibly receive the equipment sooner??

Now THIS is funny.

I just called the Apple store to see about dropping the extra ram and SD from my mini order (and to find out what effect that would have on my estimated shipping date). The customer service rep offered me $50 off my order to keep it as is! So, a 5 minute phone call saved me $50 off my mini order... (I'm keeping the order as is, so his tactic DID work) Smile
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After sales tax, I actually saved $52.75 for making that call!!
bubba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, still having problems w/ media. Purchased some Memorex 16x DVD-R media, and it was only detected as 2x. Only reason I purchased is because I was trying some media from a friend (Memorex 16x DVD-R) and it showed up as 4x. This damn superdrive SUCKS.
billabong

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you install the Matshita drive? I thought the Mac mini came with a Panasonic drive from the factory. Maybe there's something wrong with your drive. Let me get this straight you tried - Memorex, Fugi, and Imation disks and they all show up as 2X, but a disk your friend gave you showed up as 4X?
bubba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, thats the factory installed Superdrive, they do not come with Panasonic.

I had not tried Imation until today. I just purchased some Imation 8x DVD-R's and they show up as 4x. Memorex, Fugi, etc all show up as 2x.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you call Apple and see what they have to say about it? Hopefully this is a problem and not all the superdrives work like this. I highly doubt that they do, considering Apple is normally pretty good about specced products working at spec.

Hopefully this will help. It's a long thread, but glancing at it, they seem to be discussing your exact issue. I think the first thing they recommended what checking to see if there was a firmware update. The information for that is in the thread.
bubba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Why don't you call Apple and see what they have to say about it? Hopefully this is a problem and not all the superdrives work like this. I highly doubt that they do, considering Apple is normally pretty good about specced products working at spec.

Hopefully this will help. It's a long thread, but glancing at it, they seem to be discussing your exact issue. I think the first thing they recommended what checking to see if there was a firmware update. The information for that is in the thread.

Yeah, this is a known issue and known problem (like the video issue w/ the Mini). Apple won't do crap about it, so I'd rather search for media that works. I wish there was a firmware update because this drive is capable of doing waaayy more than Apple's firmware is limiting it to.
bubba

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philips 8x DVD-R work as well (at 4x). 50 pack is on sale at Office Depot for $14.99.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: