123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac version of DVD Shrink?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Mac version of DVD Shrink? Reply with quote

http://www.dvdshrink.org/

I've had my mac for around 4 months now and I miss only 1 thing on my PC.... DVD SHRINK!

I've looked various times to find a single application that rips and decodes a DVD and then shrinks it down in size to no avail...

Can ANYONE - tell me of a single program that does this?
OR perhaps a few FREEWARE programs that do.

Many macPC users will find this useful
wyzard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gavin...

I was looking for something similar myself and found this...

It's called DVD2One and there is a Mac version. I haven't looked at it alot or done alot of research, so I don't know for sure if it will do what you're looking for....

Hope that helps.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these do the decoding of Movies as well? Or is it limited to stuff that has been cracked?
wyzard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Mac The Ripper to get the movie ripped to your hard drive, then DVD2One to compress. Mac The Ripper is great, easy, fast and FREE![/url]
ninjamini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help me out with Mactheripper. I got it and copied a movie to the HD. All I got was .ifo, .vob, .bup files. Is this correct? How do you watch the movie? What do you use to go to a external double layer dvd-r?
aplowe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacTheRipper should put all those files in a VIDEO_TS folder which you can watch using DVD Player or VLC.

In DVD Player select 'Open VIDEO_TS Folder..' from the File menu then browse to the appropriate VIDEO_TS folder.

In VLC 'Open File...' and locate the folder. Sometimes the DVD menus don't work very well in VLC, but you can get around them by manually telling it which title/chapter you want to start from.

I use the Matinee DVD jukebox software as I have a number of DVDs on an external drive and it saves all the fiddly browsing around every time.

Ta,

Adam.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use MacTheRipper and HandBrake.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aplowe wrote:
I use the Matinee DVD jukebox software as I have a number of DVDs on an external drive and it saves all the fiddly browsing around every time.

Thanx for the matinee. Yep the dvd player worked like a charm. Man its so nice when you know what ur doing.

Q. Is RIP button suppoesd to do something? ?When I hit it I get a applescript error NS internalscrpiterror (Cool.

Any ideas? I can still just launch mactheripper.
GadZooks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aplowe wrote:
In DVD Player select 'Open VIDEO_TS Folder..' from the File menu then browse to the appropriate VIDEO_TS folder.

Also, if you've updated to DVD Player 4.6 they changed the menu item to 'Open DVD Media...'. It still opens and plays a VIDEO_TS folder nicely.

Cheers,
GZ
DoFa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other options for compression on Macs are DVDRemaster and Roxio's Popcorn. About $20 and $30 cheaper than DVDRemaster respectively.

Here's Popcorn for $32.

http://www.provantage.com/buy-7roxi012-popcorn-dvd-copy-software-mac-roxio-218700-shopping.htm

you will still need MacTheRipper to remove the Macrovision. But Popcorn will compress and burn after that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: