123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Automotive Dock
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Mac Mini Automotive Dock Reply with quote

Mac Mini Automotive Dock
Thursday June 30, 2005 4:11 PM EST

Mini Dock is a new company out of Japan that makes an automotive docking station for the Mac mini. They are installing the docking station into Saab Cabriolets and Chrysler Grand Voyagers. The systems are using an 8" touch screen and voice control software for OS X navigation. The kit sells for 175,000 JPY [US $1,580] and includes the Mac mini Dock, cables, and 8" touch screen. They also sell the Mac mini dock by itself for 55,000 JPY [US $496] for self-installation. There are optional accessories available like the Griffin PowerMate, Keyspan Express Remote, and eTrex GPS that can be integrated into the setup.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/323.html
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff. Glad to see macdailynews.com listed this site as the news source of this new product. Probably lots of hits today.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. I wonder what that big silver button/lever does? I bet it pushes out the Mac mini from the dock or is the power button.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems kinda goofy to me. Why would you need a dock??? Just leave it there. A good installer would. Come on $500 for the mini $900 for the monitor and whammo you just saved $600. sounds like you have $$$ $for a biger HD.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of Mac mini car setups, but if the back of the dock was like a laptop dock with port replicator you wouldn't have to mess around with wires. It would be a pain in the ass to unhook all te wires everytime you wanted to bring it in the house or get it out of the heat. But $500! Rolling Eyes
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjamini wrote:
It seems kinda goofy to me. Why would you need a dock??? Just leave it there.

I would want the ability to remove it. Home/Car/Office/friends place etc.

It would make it easier/faster to add new software? Airport might work from your driveway.

I would also want to remove it if I took my car in for service. Things like that tend to disappear.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill thats if they find it. I work in the aftermarket car audio industry and things like this get hidden well. Yes airport will work in front of your house, in front of starbucks and alot of other places. Surf the web in the car. cool.
slickrick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does Japan get all the cool Cell Phones and Mac mini gadgets. I'd like to see a picture of the back of the dock. Is there one on the site?
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're outside of a Starbucks, why would you want to work in your car? Granted the computer is INSIDE of the car, but aren't armchairs more comfortable than carseats? If it's hot, I know I definitely wouldn't want to stay in the car, let alone leave my Mini in there.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside starbucks, yes...of couarse! If you have a computer in the car then its always there. Do you always carry your laptop??? NO. Pull up, do an email, check google maps, check a price on those new speakers you always wanted or look up the address to another starbucks cuz the guy who bullied you in grade school is working inside. Its not just starbucks, alot of places have unsecure axcess. Drive around and check. Hell in my last townhouse i just used a neighbors wifi. The left it open. I send data thru.
billabong

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive thru WiFi! Very Happy

Do you actually have a Starbucks account?
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm just biased because I'm not a coffee drinker, so I don't get the whole coffee-house scene. But I still wouldn't recommend leaving a computer in the car in intense heat. Of course, I don't know where you live, but anyone I've lived, having a mini in the car and not taking it out all of the time wouldn't be much of an option.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
But I still wouldn't recommend leaving a computer in the car in intense heat. Of course, I don't know where you live, but anyone I've lived, having a mini in the car and not taking it out all of the time wouldn't be much of an option.

Good point. The heat in the summer or the cold of winter would destroy your mini. A product like this dock makes a lot of sense for the carputer crowd. Just pop in or out the mini from the dock and go. No need to fuss around with wires or connections. Maybe there will be less expensive options in the near future. $500 is a little steep.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm yea I guess that the extream temps would shorten the life of the mini. But its only $500 for the computer.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only $500 for the computer, but the user experience is priceless... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: