123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fastmac offers Bluetooth kit for PPC-based Mac minis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Fastmac offers Bluetooth kit for PPC-based Mac minis Reply with quote

Fastmac offers Bluetooth kit for PPC-based Mac minis
Monday, November 6, 2006

Fastmac today announced the availability of a plug & play internal Bluetooth upgrade kit for PowerPC (PPC) based Apple Mac mini computers. The upgrade adds internal Bluetooth functionality to the Mac mini without needing to add an Airport card at the same time, keeping the price of the upgrade affordable, yet providing the flexibility to add 802.11b/g wireless networking later. The upgrade has an effective range of up to 32 feet (10 meters) and can transfer data at up to 721 Kbps. It is fully compatible with all versions of Mac OS X, including Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger & 10.5 Leopard. The upgrade kit is priced at $49.95.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/558.html
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though it ties up a USB port.. I think that Danger Dongle is a better alternative. For those people who are not technically inclined to install themselves or what to be cheap on the dollar. You can have FastMac install it for you, but you have to add another $49.95 for install.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Even though it ties up a USB port.. I think that Danger Dongle is a better alternative. For those people who are not technically inclined to install themselves or what to be cheap on the dollar. You can have FastMac install it for you, but you have to add another $49.95 for install.

Don't forget, however, that a Mac mini G4 only has two USB ports on it. Then again, I guess that everyone with a Mac mini G4 has already some kind of USB hub (or a drive+hub like a miniStack/M9-DX). Having it built-in instead of an external dongle might be of value to some users, however.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Don't forget, however, that a Mac mini G4 only has two USB ports on it. Then again, I guess that everyone with a Mac mini G4 has already some kind of USB hub (or a drive+hub like a miniStack/M9-DX). Having it built-in instead of an external dongle might be of value to some users, however.
I haven't forgotten. After all I do own the outdated G4. I just think for the average person, who is too intimidated to jump into the internals of the Mini... the Dongle would be a better option. Plus you save money!

However... if you don't have Bluetooth, you don't have an Airport. If you were going to install a kit, you might as well install an Airport also. Since you are right there in the machine. It will also add value in case you want to sell the machine.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty cool product for some people. It's pretty late coming to market though.

I have the 1st Gen G4, so I DO NOT have Bluetooth or Airport. I'll pass though.

I think this product will come in handy for those picking up a used G4 mini for cheap and adding a few more bucks to make it what they want.

If you're like me, you've already made your choice and you weren't exactly waiting for something like this to come to market.

Again great product, too late.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
I haven't forgotten. After all I do own the outdated G4.

You're not alone with a Mac mini G4. I've thought about upgrading for a few weeks now, but aside from Pages being slow on complex documents (such as, oh, let's say an instructions manual), the G4 is up to all the tasks I throw at it.

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
I just think for the average person, who is too intimidated to jump into the internals of the Mini... the Dongle would be a better option. Plus you save money!

Easier + cheaper is indeed a better option for most people. Especially when talking about opening up a Mac mini to fiddle around with the internals.

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
However... if you don't have Bluetooth, you don't have an Airport. If you were going to install a kit, you might as well install an Airport also. Since you are right there in the machine. It will also add value in case you want to sell the machine.

I guess someone might want Bluetooth for his cellphone (or his mouse... or something) but still prefers a wired connection for his internet usage. Not everyone has a wireless hub.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a wired network as well.

I was thinking another person who may be in the market for this product is the person who has a G4 mini and is on the fence for an upgrade to a new model. This product may be the thing that allows you to keep your current model for a while longer.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stick with the M9870Z/A kit from Apple. You can get some good deals on those kits now. And they come with an AirPort card.
imfullofit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I would stick with the M9870Z/A kit from Apple. You can get some good deals on those kits now. And they come with an AirPort card.

I am looking for one of those. I had my mini at the Osaka Japan apple store the other day and they said they could no longer do that upgrade or even put in memory. I bought this machine refirbished less than a year ago and didn't think I would need more memory, airport and bluetooth. Now I want it. I was told by the people at the apple store that "maybe" a third party apple service place could get me one. If apple is no longer making and selling these upgrades I would have to dissagree with earlier posts calling this too late. I think there are a lot of people out there who are getting a new machine and want to use their old machines for somthing else and may need wireless or bluetooth now. I think there are a lot of people who thought they wouldn't need bluetooth and wireless and want it now.

www.julianvandercook.com
mrthieme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for stores in Japan, but I know they are still available in the US. I just purchased one off the shelf for 99 dollars last week from the local CompUSA. I was a bit nervous taking apart the Mini, but the whole install was done in half an hour, and was easier than expected. (Kit does not come with instructions).
johnodd4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: sounds cool but Reply with quote

this sounds awesome but you are forgeting one thing you need to purchase a mini pci wireless card inorder for this device to work i would think that a price tag of 49.99 the dongle would come with the mini pci wireless card so add another 70 dollers for the mini pci wireless card and you have it the actual price tag
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they have an 802.11n version, wake me up.

Razz

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: