123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gateway FPD2485W 24-inch HD Widescreen LCD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Gateway FPD2485W 24-inch HD Widescreen LCD Reply with quote

Gateway FPD2485W 24-inch HD Widescreen LCD
Monday, October 30, 2006

It appears that Apple, Dell, HP and ViewSonic will be getting a little competition in the 23-inch and 24-inch monitor space from Gateway. The folks over at Engadget are reporting that Gateway is set to release the FPD2485W 24-inch HD Widescreen LCD. The new LCD features a 1920 x 1200 (compatible with Mac mini) resolution panel with 450cd/m² brightness, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 6ms pixel response, 178° viewing angle, DVI with HDCP, two component video inputs, composite video, S-Video, VGA, a four port USB 2.0 hub, touch sensitive controls, picture-in-picture, and Faroudja DCDi. The Gateway FPD2485W has a MSRP of $679. An add-on speaker system is available for an additional $70.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/550.html
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a pretty good price it would be nice if it came in silver though
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the dual component video inputs. I would connect my Mac mini to DVI, Wii and cable box would go to the components. The picture quality with s-video and composite never looks that great on most of the LCDs I've seen.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
I like the dual component video inputs. I would connect my Mac mini to DVI, Wii and cable box would go to the components. The picture quality with s-video and composite never looks that great on most of the LCDs I've seen.
Yeah, all the inputs is really nice. You can connect your Mini, an Xbox 360 (VGA) and either a Wii or PS3 or even both to component. Even though it is a small screen, it probably would be best for its fast response rate.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Yeah, all the inputs is really nice. You can connect your Mini, an Xbox 360 (VGA) and either a Wii or PS3 or even both to component. Even though it is a small screen, it probably would be best for its fast response rate.

A 24-27 inch screen is just about the right size. I like sitting up close and playing games in an office chair. I'm also in a 10' x 10' dorm room.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
A 24-27 inch screen is just about the right size. I like sitting up close and playing games in an office chair. I'm also in a 10' x 10' dorm room.
Yeah that is the perfect size for a dorm. I've been to a few rooms, some of them I can't believe how small they are Laughing Laughing
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see a total overhaul of the Cinemas soon. I think Apple should add a built-in iSight, more video inputs and the ability to adjust the height. I would also like to see them lower the prices for the 20" and 23" another $100.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I would like to see a total overhaul of the Cinemas soon. I think Apple should add a built-in iSight, more video inputs and the ability to adjust the height.
Also the option of rotation, maybe a portrait mode. If not, maybe just a little movement so I can use it at an angle.

Though I think they can do without the iSight. It would help keep the cost down. They need to redesign the iSight anyway, make it much smaller or something.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 20" Gateway LCD and love it. I have a Pelican component switch hooked up to the component-in on the monitor, and a Gamecube, PSTwo, and 360 hooked up to that. One problem with the monitor is it makes a noise if the brightness is set below 88. I would check to see if the 24" has the same problem?!

I also have the speaker bar, but regret the purchase. As cool as it looks, it gets in the way of the ports and makes the connection a tight fit. I have to take the speaker bar off in order to safely plug/un-plug the component cables, which, thankfully, I haven't had to do with the Pelican component switch.

My next purchase though, will have to have HDMI ports.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great specs and price. It looks pretty good too.

I tend to stick to monitors branded by companies that manufacture displays, except in the case of my 20" ACD, which I believe Samsung makes the LCD for.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought LG made the displays?
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind having a having an additional component video input. My Dell 2405FPW only has one. One thing my Dell has that this Gateway doesn't is a memory card reader. I use that thing all the darn time. It's really convenient for offloading pictures from my camera. Another nice thing about getting a Dell is they come with a 3-year warranty. I really don't know how that compares with this Gateway.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price looks to be competitive with Dell's. If so, I'll bet Dell will lower their price.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22" Acer $399 CDN @ Costco
Not as high of a resolution though
1080P (1920 x 1200) is the way to go if >20"
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A black monitor, ughhh, Only when you give your mini a black skin and one uses black periferals! I think I'll buy the complete silvercolored HP W19, not that big but hey, I'm coming from a 15" Lite On 4:3 Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: