123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New members...welcome
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands0n wrote:
I wonder how many of us "Amazed from <somewhere>" Apple have scored in 2006. I've been like a Baptist Preacher ever since, becoming a real Mac-bore to all my friends and family Very Happy

Me too. iMac since about May.

The other day I got hold of my mother's Mini (a gift from me last year) so that I could do some routine maintenance after a year. While I had it I thought I'd update all the iPhoto entires of her grandchild I haven't yet sent by CD. I have NEVER successfully managed to network 2 PCs except by crossover cable/Laplink so with more than a small ill feeling in the stomach I prepared for more diappointment.

Imagine my shock when I worked out for myself that to network two Macs through my Linksys router all I had to do was enable "Personal File Sharing" on both. I mean thats it. Nothing more. It just worked.

However much you feel a glow of satisfaction now, in a couple of months time you'll get a smug feeling because its still working.

Its easy to think "wow! isn't this simply a superior product?" but lets not forget it is superior only because Apple design both the hardware and software and unlike MS don't try to facilitate functionality for almost all available hardware in the market.

While I'm at it I should say scanner and printer support could be better and Finder really needs an update.

Welcome to the forum.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Futa_Mill wrote:
And if you reply to everybodys posts like Tenex does your post count will shoot.....

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Futa_Mill wrote:

... i said that this was good to make new members welcome i do the same

?
I seen that... but I was laughing at this.
Tenex wrote:
Why do I feel that isn't a compliment? Confused

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands0n wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Hands0n wrote:
I have never, ever, set one of these up before. So you experienced Mac hacks will possibly not understand how gobsmacked I was at how very easy it was to get the Mac Mini up and running.
I always find that quite amusing. You would think ALL computers should be that easy!

Yea, right Cool But sadly it never happens - or at least "happened" ...... until Thursday night Laughing
They should know that people want "easy". That is why 95% of people drive an automatic vehicle.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
They should know that people want "easy". That is why 95% of people drive an automatic vehicle.

Over here where traffic queues persist almost no one drives an automatic I think they are less than 5% of the market according to my dealer. I have one.

SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

Over here where traffic queues persist almost no one drives an automatic I think they are less than 5% of the market according to my dealer. I have one.
Most of the Yankees over here are too lazy to figure out how to drive a manual. Manual proceeds the usual "it's too hard".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a UK automatic driver who purchased played with and bought my first Mac last week I can say I like it easy and I like the minimalist mini.

I have been building PCs and working in the IT industry for over twenty years and I guess I just reached the point where I wanted to simplify, or at the least move the churn to under the surface.

I have 300 GB in music (Converted my CD collection to 320VBR) and a couple of TB in video that stream to two wireless LiteOn NetPlayers feeding the lounge and bedroom with music, video, photography and net radio.

Much to my wife's chagrin the lounge has always been cluttered with wires and half completed motherboards.

After twenty years she put her foot down! She wanted the lounge back.

Now initially, this was not good. But, it did free up budget to 'fix' the problem. Budget for wireless equipment and for suitable furniture that I could hide the geekness.

Getting approval for a nice small PC that looks cute AND wireless was granted, so now I am struggling to make it my main machine, and remote desktopping for apps that their is no Mac alternative.

The main initial challenges this week have been.

A. Getting the MS Multimedia Keyboard to work with the Mac.

B. Getting Network Shared drives to work (still can't get network browsing)

C. Getting the NAS mounted (required NFS in the end) with different mount point than the PCs.

D. Getting the workgroup for the Mini the same as the PCs - would never have worked that one out on my own)

E. Getting my Samsung MFP Laser to work over the network.

All these things were solved by searching this forum,

So thanks guys

Enough burbling..
MacMini Intel * 2x20" InteliMacs * 2xMBPs 13" * 1TB TC * 8GB iPhone * 16GB iPhone 3G * 30GB iPod Video * 2GB Nano (NetPlayers /Sounbridges /Win7 / 4TB NasLite / 4TB FreeNAS / 4 TB Thecus 4100+/ 4 TB DAS)
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Futa_Mill wrote:
And if you reply to everybodys posts like Tenex does your post count will shoot.....

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Futa_Mill wrote:

... i said that this was good to make new members welcome i do the same

?

? ok
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futa_Mill wrote:
? ok

No problem, I was being ribbed by Socomraider.

Hands0n

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Hands0n wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Hands0n wrote:
I have never, ever, set one of these up before. So you experienced Mac hacks will possibly not understand how gobsmacked I was at how very easy it was to get the Mac Mini up and running.
I always find that quite amusing. You would think ALL computers should be that easy!

Yea, right Cool But sadly it never happens - or at least "happened" ...... until Thursday night Laughing

Over here that 95% would be Manual (stick shift) vehicle lol. With our fuel prices auto has yet to catch on big time. But I get your point Very Happy
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for starting the thread Tony.

Brian, Charles and I would like to welcome all the new members.

Glenn S.
123Macmini.com

Made a sticky on 10/29/06
mrchowmein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joined about 30 mins ago cuz i wanted to answer some questions in troubleshooting section.

I have a 1.83 Ghz core duo mini, still in its original config. I'm not really a switcher, ive been using Windows and Macs back and forth since 1991. This seems like a great mini site. I look foward to doing more with the mini than with what ive done with my previous macs (work).
El Jeffe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Dumb User Q Reply with quote

Hi,
As a happy G4 mini user of 9months experience (how does Apple manage to hide this modern - $A500 - miracle so well!) I am considering an upgrade to the Intel version. More CPU, more RAM, should be a no brainer, other than getting the Treasurer to loosen the purse strings.

However, I am concerned about the performance of the software investments I have made including Office, iLife etc. Can anyone tell me how much of a performance I will notice or do the better CPU and RAM mask the effects?

Thanks
grafixz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: New Member Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm a graphic design student. I've had my iBook G4 for 2+ years. The hard drive started acting up Neutral a couple of weeks ago and went for repair to Apple for about 2 weeks (I really missed it Sad). Finding out Idea I can get a Mac Mini through school Razz, I came upon this site searching about it. 123mm definitely helped me make up my mind over a pc laptop (Thank you very much Wink ), I needed something below $900. I got my mini on Nov.30 and my laptop back the next day Very Happy and I just upgraded my iBook ram to 1GB Smile.
Thanks again.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member Reply with quote

grafixz wrote:
Hi all. I'm a graphic design student.

Welcome! What school do you go to? (I'm curious, as I'm currently a transfer student, and looking at schools for next year).
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to all posts on this thread! I started with Apple products in March of 06' since then I have purchased 2 more machines and every goodie/extra offered!!!! I cant' get enough of Apples' products, they are stylish,well built and work out of the box. This is not something that you normally find within this category of product. Kudos to Apple and all of the members new and old here at 123......I know I have learned a lot and I am sure there is plenty more. Looking forward to my next bit of new info.

Thank you to all who post, together we shall all prosper. (corny i know)

-Hackersmovie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: