123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some answers from you pros!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skoone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Need some answers from you pros! Reply with quote

OK, time for me to step up to the microphone and ask a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers for. This is regarding a Mac Mini with OS X 10.4.1:

1) Selecting multiple items in an open window. Example: Let's say you have 12 files listed in that window, and you need to choose 6 of them. In windows, one can press CTRL then click on those 6 files each one at a time while continually holding down CTRL to highlight them. Can I do this on the Mac? I tried doing the CTRL thing with it but it didn't work.

2) I'm finding that the Home and End keys don't seem to work on the Mac.. Even as I type this in, I can hit either of these two keys and they do nothing. Seems I'm presently relegated to using the arrow keys to move around my sentences (delete works though). Do I have to enable something somewhere in OS X to make these keys function properly?

3) The key with the Apple on it. There is another image beside it, kind of like a 4-leaf clover.. What is that thing called, and what does it do?

4) Regarding the above question, I see a number of references to this particular key performing quite a number of options. Please offer a web site or book reference listing the functions available for this key. The reason I'm asking is because I have a feeling this key offers useful shortcuts to speed up one's efficiency. Knowing and understanding some of these may be a good thing!

5) Please see this website: www.copernic.com This is a windows program that acts as a multi search engine front-end. One can do internet searches from as many search sites as possible resulting in a greater chance of finding what you're looking for. I use this program daily! Unfortunately, they do not make a Mac flavor. Does any sort of program like Copernic exist in the Mac world? Any other suggestions or ideas on how you may do multiple web searches are welcome as I'm willing to learn a new method if it is efficient such as this.

6) One of several reasons that I simply cannot give up my PC altogether is this: I have an HDTV tuner card that I record high definition programs with. The software generates transport stream files (ending with .ts or .tp).. There are loads of programs and codec support to play these files on a PC, but I have yet to find a codec for the Mac. Video files ending with .m2v are also a problem. What I'm after is THE repository for Mac codecs, I guess plugins perhaps for QuickTime or Windows Media Player for Mac. I'm unsure that the Mac Mini has enough processing power to play back the transport stream files as they are very processor intensive, but still, I'd like to know if it's even possible to do this on a Mac. I'm finding that .avi files are slightly jittery on the Mini now, so I feel like I'm not far from reaching the limit on what it can handle. I'll bet it would be a breeze on a G5 based computer.

7) Just curious on this one.. What can one do with the F13-F16 keys?? They stop at F12 on the PC. Are they user assignable to anything?

8) On the upper right hand corner of an open window, there is an oval shaped button. What is it's purpose? I can't get it to do anything.

I think that will be enough for now. I have a Switching to the Mac book on order with Amazon, hopefully that will answer some more questions later. Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Regards,
Steve
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some answers from you pros! Reply with quote

O.K. I'll answer what I can for you!

skoone wrote:

1) Selecting multiple items in an open window. Example: Let's say you have 12 files listed in that window, and you need to choose 6 of them. In windows, one can press CTRL then click on those 6 files each one at a time while continually holding down CTRL to highlight them. Can I do this on the Mac? I tried doing the CTRL thing with it but it didn't work.

3) The key with the Apple on it. There is another image beside it, kind of like a 4-leaf clover.. What is that thing called, and what does it do?

4) Regarding the above question, I see a number of references to this particular key performing quite a number of options. Please offer a web site or book reference listing the functions available for this key. The reason I'm asking is because I have a feeling this key offers useful shortcuts to speed up one's efficiency. Knowing and understanding some of these may be a good thing!

The Apple or Command key has many of the same functions as the Control Key for Windows. This is a good comparison of the Control and Command Keys. Bottom line when in doubt try the Apple key!

Under Mac Help on your computer if you type in "keyboard short cuts" you will see a whole list of topics about short cuts on the Mac. It is very helpful.

I have posted this next one before but it is good enough to repeat!

Apple/Command-Tab is one of the coolest things in Mac OS X. Holding down the Command Key and hitting Tab brings up a nice visual of all your running applications and you keep hitting the Tab key until you cycle to the application you want to switch to. Once it highlights you can let go of the Command Key to switch to that app. That's cool and that's how it works on the surface, but there are all kinds of hidden techniques behind this feature:

hitting Command-Shift-Tab cycles you backwards through the list of open apps.

Holding down Command and hitting the Tab key brings up the bar and using your mouse you can hover over the app you want to switch to and letting go of the Command Key to switch to it quickly without having to cycle through the ones in between.

While holding down the Command key and hitting Tab to cycle to a particular app, hitting the "H" key will hide that app without switching to it

While holding down the Command key and hitting Tab to cycle to a particular app, hitting the "Q" key will quit that app

Quote:
Cool On the upper right hand corner of an open window, there is an oval shaped button. What is it's purpose? I can't get it to do anything.

That little oval simply collapses or expands the heading bar at the top of the window! If there is one available for that window! Try it on a finder window!

Have fun and good luck!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brendan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some answers from you pros! Reply with quote

skoone wrote:

5) Please see this website: www.copernic.com This is a windows program that acts as a multi search engine front-end. One can do internet searches from as many search sites as possible resulting in a greater chance of finding what you're looking for. I use this program daily! Unfortunately, they do not make a Mac flavor. Does any sort of program like Copernic exist in the Mac world? Any other suggestions or ideas on how you may do multiple web searches are welcome as I'm willing to learn a new method if it is efficient such as this.

I do not know of a program that does multi-engine searches (try http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/) but there are websites that do this. Google for "multi search engine" or similar and you will find a few. http://www.multi-search-engine.com/ lists a few. I also suggest investing in a book such as David Pogue's The Missing Manual.
Use the web, all these answers are at your fingertips.

Brendan
billabong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some answers from you pros! Reply with quote

skoone wrote:

2) I'm finding that the Home and End keys don't seem to work on the Mac.. Even as I type this in, I can hit either of these two keys and they do nothing. Seems I'm presently relegated to using the arrow keys to move around my sentences (delete works though). Do I have to enable something somewhere in OS X to make these keys function properly?
Regards,
Steve

Have you tried using the command button and up/down arrow keys for home and end?
powermini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need some answers from you pros! Reply with quote

billabong wrote:
skoone wrote:

Regards,
Steve

Have you tried using the command button and up/down arrow keys for home and end?

That's gotta be "fn"+left(right) arrow for home/end.
k3lso

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I think "SHIFT" is the key you are looking for... Holding down shift you can select multiple items..

7) With the F13 to F16 you can do whatever you want.. its only a matter of assigning functions to those keys... use the preferences.. i.e.: you can set F13 to show the dashboard instead of F12..

Cool The oval shaped button you see in the upper right corner is for changing the look of the windows... i.e. if you click it in your hard drives folder... itll hide some links and convert it into a simple window... or in some Instant Messaging apps itll hide some buttons like "add new contact" and stuff like that.. just try it..
14" 600Mhz G3 iBook 256Mb Ram
20 Gb iPod
skoone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your help.. Sorry for my slow response, I've been out of town. It appears that the apple key does a lot of what I'm looking for. In fact, I ordered a 2 port DVI switch (the IOGear brand) so that I can have DVI video for both the PC as well as the Mac.. Plus, I can run one keyboard and mouse for both! It really frees up a lot of desktop space. I did locate a Switching to the Mac book while I was away and have gained a bit more insight from that source too. I still cannot locate codecs to handle HDTV clips, that one may not happen on a Mac platform.

OK, I'll go sit back down now. If I come up with any more questions, I'll be sure to ask.

Regards,
Steve
DoFa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, you go. I lifted this from Wikipedia. Now you new Mac Switchers will know more about the Command key than most Mac Vets:

The origin of the "clover" (⌘)

The "clover" symbol has no official name, but is often given nicknames like splat, butterfly, beanie, flower or shamrock. Unicode standards documents call it the Place of Interest Sign. It is identical to the Saint Hannes cross, which is sometimes found in Scandinavia as an ornament on viking artefacts. It is used in Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden as a symbol of "sites of historical interest", e.g. church ruins. In Sweden and Finland, it is used as a roadsign at such places.

The ⌘ came into the Macintosh project at a late stage. The development team originally went for their old apple key, but Steve Jobs found it frustrating when apples filled up the Mac's menus next to the key commands. Since Jobs felt that this was an over-use of the company logo, he opted for a different key symbol. With only a few days left before deadline, the team's bitmap artist Susan Kare started researching for the apple's successor. She was browsing through a symbol dictionary when she came across the cloverleaf-like symbol, used in Sweden for "attractions on a campground". When she showed it to the rest of the team, everyone liked it, and so it became the symbol of the 1984 Macintosh command key.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I am a true Mac user. Thanks DoFa! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: