123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
I wish they'd put a fw800 port in the iMac range, preferably before I buy my next one.

There's one on the 24" iMac, but no others.
Jeffy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
Jeffy wrote:
I've also become very frustrated with numerous aspects of my MacBook.

Interesting - such as?

The overall quality of the MacBook's case and sharp edges on the palmrest. I'm also disappointed with the tinny speakers, glossy screen, and some erratic issues with the fans. The glossy screen is probably the biggest factor. I just never got used to it. My eyes are very sensitive to reflections. Thank god Apple didn't go glossy only on with the MBP. I will be getting the matte display.

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
They justify the price difference a little more (over the MacBooks) than before.

I agree. I think they needed to separate the MBP from the MacBook just little more. I haven't been a Mac user for that long, but Apple's strategy of including the Core Duo in all the first generation Intel Macs might have been the wrong decision. People expect the processors to be the same now in all their models. I still think the Core 2 Duo will find its way into the MacBook soon enough. So I guess the lines will become a little more blurred between Pro and Consumer down the road once again.
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:

There's one on the 24" iMac, but no others.

I'm familiar with the spec. What I should have written was "across the whole range" I don't want a 24".

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm officially plasma and TV gear broke, but I would like to have one. Maybe in the spring after Leopard and iLife '07 comes out.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get a new 17" MacBook Pro, but I still owe a small fortune for my Quad Mac Pro. Maybe next fall, unless I can get someone to buy my PowerMac, which is just sitting here doing nothing.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
I would get a new 17" MacBook Pro, but I still owe a small fortune for my Quad Mac Pro. Maybe next fall, unless I can get someone to buy my PowerMac, which is just sitting here doing nothing.

Good god! You've got a nice collection of Macs there. Do you work with a lot of video or something?
bsnoel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
bsnoel wrote:

Good god! You've got a nice collection of Macs there. Do you work with a lot of video or something?

Nope, I'm just a DINC "Dual Income, No Common-Sense"
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:

Nope, I'm just a DINC "Dual Income, No Common-Sense"

Very funny! Laughing

But doesn't that "C" usually stand for children. Wink

I'm a SINC "Single Income, No Cojones"

I just wondered what compelled you to upgrade from the PowerMac to the Mac Pro.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
To be the first on his block? Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I made the jump. Ordered the MBP from macmall today.. Although the price drop on the referb CD MBPs looks very sweet. 2.16/1GB/100GB/SD for $1599. That was very hard to pass up. Really its the fact that I want to be ready for 10.5 and I always like a nice cache bump in a processor as well.

As far as the macbook, yeah, I had issues with mine. Granted it ran like a dream. No heat issues, and no RSS, but it still had things that bugged me.. The glossy screen being number one. The GMA900 bothered me until the Aperture 1.5 release. But by that time the MB was on ebay and going for a good price. Now comes the WORST part of the waiting game.. getting the tracking number from macmall.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
devo wrote:
To be the first on his block? Laughing

Well, its not like I really needed the Mac Pro. It is sort of a combination of being a hardware geek and wanting to drive 3 displays. The old PowerMac only had a Single AGP slot, so I would have had to use a mismatched PCI video card. With this new box I have dual nVidia 7300 cards to drive the monitors. The only problem is trying to find a mouse pad big enough to cover all 3 displays. Its kind of hard to go from full left to full right without falling off the mouse-pad. Confused

I am hoping to find a buyer for the PowerMac. It is still a great machine and it is a shame to have it sitting here doing nothing. Unfortunatley, everyone wants Intel machines and Apple is not making it any easier to sell with their brute force upgrade program.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CcAgan wrote:
Well, I made the jump. Ordered the MBP from macmall today.. Although the price drop on the referb CD MBPs looks very sweet. 2.16/1GB/100GB/SD for $1599. That was very hard to pass up. Really its the fact that I want to be ready for 10.5 and I always like a nice cache bump in a processor as well.

As far as the macbook, yeah, I had issues with mine. Granted it ran like a dream. No heat issues, and no RSS, but it still had things that bugged me.. The glossy screen being number one. The GMA900 bothered me until the Aperture 1.5 release. But by that time the MB was on ebay and going for a good price. Now comes the WORST part of the waiting game.. getting the tracking number from macmall.

What did you order, one of the new Core 2 machines? Sounds nice.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
The only problem is trying to find a mouse pad big enough to cover all 3 displays. Its kind of hard to go from full left to full right without falling off the mouse-pad. Confused
Why not take a couple mouse pads, about two or maybe three. Cut off the rounded edges on one side of two pads, both sides of another pad (if you use three)... then take a PVC anti-slip mat... glue the undersides of the mouse pads to the PVC anti-slip mat. Preferably use something like Gorilla glue or some epoxy.
bsnoel wrote:
I am hoping to find a buyer for the PowerMac. It is still a great machine and it is a shame to have it sitting here doing nothing. Unfortunatley, everyone wants Intel machines and Apple is not making it any easier to sell with their brute force upgrade program.
If I had the money, I'd buy it from you. Even though it's less powerful than the Mac Pro... there is still something about saying, "I owned a G5". As it is an end to an era of PowerPC Macs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CcAgan wrote:
Now comes the WORST part of the waiting game.. getting the tracking number from macmall.

Did they give you an estimated ship date? I was thinking about waiting for Amazon to get them in and price one out. They always seem to have good rebates going on.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
bsnoel wrote:
The only problem is trying to find a mouse pad big enough to cover all 3 displays. Its kind of hard to go from full left to full right without falling off the mouse-pad. Confused
Why not take a couple mouse pads, about two or maybe three. Cut off the rounded edges on one side of two pads, both sides of another pad (if you use three)... then take a PVC anti-slip mat... glue the undersides of the mouse pads to the PVC anti-slip mat. Preferably use something like Gorilla glue or some epoxy.
bsnoel wrote:
If I had the money, I'd buy it from you. Even though it's less powerful than the Mac Pro... there is still something about saying, "I owned a G5". As it is an end to an era of PowerPC Macs.

I might try something like that, but I think that two mouse pads would be enogh. I could just use the desktop, but I cannot stand the sound that my mouse makes on the bare desktop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: