123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IBM 9930 keyboard and mac mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
polendo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: IBM 9930 keyboard and mac mini Reply with quote

HI all..this is my first post..

It just happens that I had an IBM Aptiva back in 99 when I was in graduate school. Anyway, I just came across the US type keyboard (PS2) that came with that PC and to be fair it works great.. it has a great feeling when you type. Anyway..I tried to hook it up to my Mac mini and no dice...

This is what I have tried so far:

1. Hooked it up to a PC to check if it still works and it does.
2. Bought a second ps2 to usb adapter of better quality than the first one I ad (its from Radio Shack).
3. I tried to work around on the keyboard & mice menu on Tiger ..and tried out the assistant that helps recognize the keyboard. The spinning wheel justs keeps on looking for this type of keyboard to no end. It doesn't recognize a keystroke at all.

When I turn on the Mac mini, the keyboard lights turn on.. but that is all to it. I have tried a Microsoft Internet Keyboard and Belkin...and they do work.

Anyway, I have gotten to a point that for the sake of ancient IBM technology this darn keyboard has to work on my mac mini.

So.. the question is, have any of you guys had any experience with IBM keyboard and a Mac mini?

The model is the KB9930 and a picture of it http://www2.elecom.co.jp/products/PKB-KB9930.html (<-- thats on Japanese I think, mine is on the US layout).

thanks for any help I can get,

regards

Last edited by polendo on Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
castaway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty strange. The only thing I could suggest is to try a third adpater. I have an old IBM keyboard from an Aptiva AMD K2 450 machine that was purchased around the same time period, but don't have a adapter to try it with. Mine has a white sleep button and round type volume button down the right side with three programable function keys below it. Maybe these media/power keys throw off the mini. Sound like yours? I tried looking at your link to see what it looks like, but nothing comes up.

I just hate it when your forced to switch keyboards. It always takes me a few weeks to adjust to the new feel. Mad
polendo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your Aptiva keyboard should be really similar to the one I have or the same one. It has programable keys on top. On the top right hander it has a small control for Cd's.. play, pause, volume, etc. It's beige. IBM logo in blue on the left on top. I also think that the Cd buttons might be doing something that doesnt allow the mini to recognize it.

I need to find a third adapter just in case.. other wise its been like 30 USD on adapters.. I would have rather bought the mac keyboard instead.

Everything started when I used my Belkin Spanish type keyboard (I'm in Mexico) on the mac mini. The problem comes when I try to use the brackets to return or advance pages in Safari.. I use alot the keyboard instead of the mouse. Anyway, the back/forward combination of keystrokes do not work on this Belkin keyboard if I select the Spanish ISO type. If I select the American US keyboard the brackets -forward/back combo do work.. but messes up all the parentheses, asterix and @ ... That is basically the issue on this.

regards

pd: just edited the link above

http://www2.elecom.co.jp/products/PKB-KB9930.html
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used several PS/2 keyboards on my macs without issue. (although now I currently have this keyboard on order.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: