123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech packages miniStack V2 kit with software bundle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: NewerTech packages miniStack V2 kit with software bundle Reply with quote

NewerTech packages miniStack V2 kit with software bundle
Thursday, October 19, 2006

NewerTech today announced a new solution package, allowing customers to purchase the "Add Your Own Hard Drive" enclosure kit version of the NewerTech miniStack V2 with the full software package available on complete hard drive-installed storage solutions for the price of $84.95. The included software package of has a suggested retail value of over $200 and includes EMC Retrospect Backup and Intech HD SpeedTools. The miniStack V2 solution kit also comes packaged with everything needed for operation, including FireWire and USB connecting cables.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/545.html

Last edited by admin on Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I believe the Intech Speed Tools component that you get in the package is not the up-to-date version, and it sells for $15 from OWC when bought separately. I bought it separately and if I recall correctly, it costs a lot more to upgrade it to the current version of all components than it cost to buy.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
For what it's worth, I believe the Intech Speed Tools component that you get in the package is not the up-to-date version, and it sells for $15 from OWC when bought separately. I bought it separately and if I recall correctly, it costs a lot more to upgrade it to the current version of all components than it cost to buy.
That doesn't really surprise me. A lot of things that give you "free" software are usually out of date.

The question is... do you really need this software anyways?
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any need for the software, but it would've been nice to see them do this a while ago. Like when I purchased the original miniStack.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
The question is... do you really need this software anyways?

Actually I did, but for a Cube, not a Mini. It includes a module that lets early model G4's exceed the 128 gb limitation in a hard drive; in my case so that I could install and access the full 160 gb of my drive. But it does other good things as well, including backups.
K.C.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the same software package they've been including with every other firewire drive they've sold for the last couple of years. I've got a handful of the discs sitting here. I installed it once and took a look at it, never use it.

The tools software is of very limited use, and no, it is not current, and yes, the upgrade is pricey. I've never read of anyone actually buying the tool software outright before, no do your ever read a thread where someone says they used it.

They sure pitch the MiniStack don't they. I bought the 500GB model that was 'on sale for the summer.' Once the summer sale ended they dropped the price by $20. I returned the one I bought because it didn't work right and was slower than the internal on my new Mini.
K.C.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing. Doesn't anyone notice that the enclosure package was only $75 before the 'free' software deal they now offer ?

So for $10 you get something for free that's still actually free with any one of their other fw drives.
lindafus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Hi Everyone! Reply with quote

I am new here but not new to the mac mini. I just received a ministack V2 this week and it did come with alot of software on it. However, it is all appears to be very old software. I would not use most of it. The retrospect software appears to have some good features like the backup option etc. I love the 320 HD and use it as a boot drive for my upgraded Mac Mini Solo 1.5 now a Core 2 Duo 1.83. Not sure if there is $200 worth of software on this drive. I had to copy the files off the drive and repartition it anyways to get the macmini to boot it up.

Too bad they do not put any instructions in detail as to how or what their product is capable of. You can not boot off this drive out of the box. No info on that at all. Folded peice of paper is all I received with the drive.

-Lin
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.C. wrote:
One more thing. Doesn't anyone notice that the enclosure package was only $75 before the 'free' software deal they now offer

I'm not sure. It looks like they still offer a package for $75 without the software.
K.C.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
K.C. wrote:
One more thing. Doesn't anyone notice that the enclosure package was only $75 before the 'free' software deal they now offer

I'm not sure. It looks like they still offer a package for $75 without the software.

My point exactly. The software is not free if it costs $10.
pompeyjon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest a source for purchasing the MiniStack in the UK? I've had a look on the NewerTech site and the only reseller in the UK doesn't actually stock it.

Thanks.
castaway

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompeyjon wrote:
Can anyone suggest a source for purchasing the MiniStack in the UK? I've had a look on the NewerTech site and the only reseller in the UK doesn't actually stock it.

Thanks.

I'm not sure about the MiniStack, but you can get the Macpower M9-DX or Iomega Minimax. They are basically the same thing.

https://www.span.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5947&c=87&t=side_right1

http://www.iomega-europe.com/item?SID=a3755e00896cc49f1f8b1c12eedfa08d57f:4735&sku=131433328
Squid3660

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, yea... ok. Just got my ministack V2.

The fan noise is outrageous. Sounds like a cicada on meth. If you are used to your mac mini nice and quiet, avoid this product.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squid3660 wrote:
Um, yea... ok. Just got my ministack V2.

The fan noise is outrageous. Sounds like a cicada on meth. If you are used to your mac mini nice and quiet, avoid this product.

The fan noise has been discussed here many times. As grandpa use to say "look before you leap".
Squid3660

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigght.

Anywho.

After some modifacation to my set up, the V2 fan no longer makes any sound. I have the V2 sitting on 1 inch riser. The heat sink at the bottom of the V2 can now dissipate enough heat that the fan should never come on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: