123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External Drives Leave On

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scarpad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: External Drives Leave On Reply with quote

I'm getting an external Drive for my Mini. My intention is to move my Itunes Library off the Mini's Drive onto the 400gb drive. Do you guys always leave your External powered up when the mini is in use? It would definatley need to be on for Itunes, any concernes with heat? I'm getting a Mercury Elite enclosure.
bubba

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine usually stays off. It's mainly for my nightly superduper backups (which will only run if it's plugged in) and other storage stuff, nothing like iTunes. I think it would be a pain to put my iTunes stuff on another drive, then again I have less than 20gb of music so it all fits nicely on my ipod. I got to the point where I started moving/deleting crap I never listened to or always fast forwarded through.
jase

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two external drives, a firewire drive, and a USB drive.

They stay powered on all the time. However, they both go into a powersaving mode where the drive spins down if they aren't accessed for a period of time. That solves the heat issue.

If I access them, they spin back up, which causes a few seconds of delay the first time you hit them, but it's easier than turning them on and off all the time.

Seems to work well enough for my uses...
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:

They stay powered on all the time. However, they both go into a powersaving mode where the drive spins down if they aren't accessed for a period of time. That solves the heat issue.

If I access them, they spin back up, which causes a few seconds of delay the first time you hit them, but it's easier than turning them on and off all the time.

That may not work with all drives. The spin down may be a feature of your external drives chipset. Some drive run all the time. I'm still thinking about getting one of those Rosewill enclosures like you recommended. I take it this is one of the drives that will spin down?
Scarpad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote OWC because I was concerned about heat. The Mercury inside enclosure is alluminum, it has some vent holes in the case. You then slip the aluminum interir into an all plastic case that is completly encased, not ven holes. It does seem like the interior gets warm but it's hard to tell by the outside plastic which is always semi cool to the touch
slickrick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this it?

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/item/7243/OWCME25AUFW/
jase

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

That may not work with all drives. The spin down may be a feature of your external drives chipset. Some drive run all the time. I'm still thinking about getting one of those Rosewill enclosures like you recommended. I take it this is one of the drives that will spin down?

It's entirely possible that not all drives will spin down like mine do.

For the record, my drives are a Western Digital 160GB USB2.0 external drive, and the Rosewill enclosure with a Maxtor 160GB drive.

I don't have experience with enough external drives to guess which ones will spin down, and which won't. I'm just happy that both of mine do. Smile
Scarpad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the one

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEFW911PLUS/
bubba

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:
I've got two external drives, a firewire drive, and a USB drive.

Seems to work well enough for my uses...

Do you have "put the hard drives to sleep when possible" checked under sys prefs/energy saving?
Scarpad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have'nt been is that under the disk managemnet utilities
bubba

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its under system preferences -> Energy Saver . I think it is on by default.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: