123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who manufactures the Best Ram for the Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Who manufactures the Best Ram for the Mini Reply with quote

Best. Not lowest price. I used to only get Kingston for my PCs.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best is a reletive term. As long as the memory is made to speck, PC2700, its good. So dont buy a really off brand is my advice.

There are some brands, corsair comes to mind, that are better for overclockers. But I have never been in this came. I prefer a more stable computer than on that may be a little faster.

I just bought a Kingston 1GB yesterday for my mini at best buy. $55 - $5 rebate. There almost out of them a its a clearence price. Run dont walk to BB. If they dont have it then have them do a search.
Code:
slickrick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Kingston and Crucial. You'll pay a little more, but they'll be there to back you up if something goes wrong.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what brand of RAM Apple uses in the mini?
slickrick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has a 256MB Samsung stick. I have since upgraded it to 1GB.
3balls

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm running a 1gb stick of mushkin.....rock solid.
aaron.c

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Do you know what brand of RAM Apple uses in the mini?

The stock PC3200 256MB I had in my mini (before installing 1GB) was manufactured by Hynix. http://www.hynix.com
Elgato EyeTV 500
Sony MFM-HT75W 17 inch Widescreen HDTV Display
leo221

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Who manufactures the Best Ram for the Mini Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

I manufacturer THE BEST ram for mac mini. $299 for 1GB. send me the money, i will ship it to you same day with no extra cost.
roblemmen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol 300 dollars? Sure u didnt get it from wallmart and resell it?
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Who manufactures the Best Ram for the Mini Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

What is your criteria for "best"??
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Criteria- see link
http://www.kingston.com/company/testing.asp#qaarm

I worked at CompuSmart (Canada's largest computer only store) for 5 years and I saw all sorts of problems with IBM Aptivas, Compaqs etc. being real fussy about their RAM. This was 1995-2000 (Hopefully things have changed).

Certain memory manufacturers test and guarantee compatibility with certain computer models. I'm sure Kingston has tested their RAM with a mini, but I haven't looked into it.

People would scoff at paying $25 CDN to have a tech install RAM but compatibilty was guaranteed. It took a tech at least 1/2 hour to install the RAM and run diagnotic utilities to guarantee compatibility. CompuSmart had a RAM tester that cost over $5000. That was probably a cheap one. I've seen a tech go through 4 sticks of RAM to get one good one (This is extreme worst case of course).

I have done zero research on this subject on the mini. I will probably talk to the tech department at my Apple dealer and find out what they are installing. I might just have them install it too. I know people will think I'm crazy for what I have just said. But I have seen way too many problems.

I just don't want headaches. If the consensus is that there are no compatibilty problems with a certain brand of memory, then great. That's what I'm hoping for.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are worrying a bit too much over the RAM. Why not simply go with a brand that several of us here have utilized and call it good? Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you check into Apple's website on the Made4Mac tab, they list the RAM vendors they "endorse". A few that come to mind are: Swissbitt, Edge, & Crucial. There may be more, you would just have to check the website.

My vote goes to Crucial RAM. Micron Technology makes Crucial and it is good stuff. I work in IT and have built / racked many SUN, HP, Dell servers in my day. All of the above use Micron as one of their main suppliers for memory. In addition, my PowerMac G5 2.3GHz came directly from Apple with Micron Memory installed in it.

I have had good luck with Crucial and I figure if it is good enough for the high-end server market it is good enough for the Mini.

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
Why not simply go with a brand that several of us here have utilized and call it good? Smile

I agree. I had no idea what memory people are using, or if they have had any problems. That's why I started this thread. To get that info. Sorry, if it's been discussed elsewhere.

Thanks for the info, so far.

I used that Apple search thing and Edge is the only manufacturer that comes up for the mini.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us have gotten this ram from newegg.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: